Quantcast
Anyone notice all the cracks forming in Calgary roads? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone notice all the cracks forming in Calgary roads?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Hell ya...
    The Glenmore to Deerfoot South.. I was like... is this road getting wider..?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The fact is, roads can be built that withstand frost heaving and don't fall apart in two years. We don't because our politicians are corrupt and only do what is necessary for their self interests
    The city has a page that talks about permeable pavement.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Page...-pavement.aspx

The problem is that storm water control gets pretty elaborate and expensive with this setup. There would be no storm drains, and drainage has to be handled down the entire length of road. The shit is magic though, it actually improves safety in wet/snow conditions because water doesn't stay on the asphalt.

Imagine all that drainage work down the entire length of deerfoot. Then there's the load factor, it's just not designed for any large loads which requires much shorter repaving durations. There's a reason why nobody does this.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

No, Im referencing standard road building practices in general. There is a significant difference between a shit job and a good job with road base prep, and it has a substantial affect on road longevity.

By going with the lowest bidder, we get the poor prep and therefore shit roads that we do.

That doesnt mean the road wont heave at all, that is pretty difficult to deal with. But its not magic that some roads last longer than others.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

No, Im referencing standard road building practices in general. There is a significant difference between a shit job and a good job with road base prep, and it has a substantial affect on road longevity.

By going with the lowest bidder, we get the poor prep and therefore shit roads that we do.

That doesnt mean the road wont heave at all, that is pretty difficult to deal with. But its not magic that some roads last longer than others.
    I imagine that a priority of paving is to get it done as quick as possible so traffic is not overly inconvenienced for a long period of time.

If anyone has gone back and forth between Calgary and Edmonton over the years would know Edmonton roads have always been worse. This spring though it feels like driving around in Edmonton.
    Last edited by heavyD; 04-19-2017 at 12:51 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Then there is Winnpeg roads .....

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I haven't noticed anything worse than before.

There is a bad spot in the middle lane on WB Crow after Sarcee. It's there every year.

There was a bumpy spot on EB Crow by Shag before but it seems to be fine this year.

Compare to Montreal or Winnipeg roads, we have race track condition here.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Word...catch some air

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by heavyD

I imagine that a priority of paving is to get it done as quick as possible so traffic is not overly inconvenienced for a long period of time.

If anyone has gone back and forth between Calgary and Edmonton over the years would know Edmonton roads have always been worse. This spring though it feels like driving around in Edmonton.
    I don't know or can speak to either cities' decision making process. Either way, its frigging awful.

What I do know is that clearly there are certain companies that roads hold up better than other companies

My Ride
    Axis powers

Deerfoot under stoney in the deep South is so bad the reduced the speed limit
    Sig nuked by mod.

I don't know or can speak to either cities' decision making process. Either way, its frigging awful.

What I do know is that clearly there are certain companies that roads hold up better than other companies
    I don't know if it's that simple. The max frost depth is something like 7ft in Calgary. It's a huge undertaking to make the roads frost resistant. I remember they did this on the street I grew up on due to the massive heaves that would regularly destroy the street. I believe it was over a month we couldn't use the street.

There are 16,000kms of paved roadway in Calgary. With limited budget you probably end up with the decision each year of doing a quick fix on a large area or a full fix on a very small area.

People always talk about how simple it is to run a city

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by rx7boi
    Is there a way to call these in or don't bother at all because the city doesn't care?
    I just submitted one through 311 online, we'll see how fast that goes nowhere. My poor car is getting worn down from off-roading to work

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by J-hop
    There are 16,000kms of paved roadway in Calgary. With limited budget you probably end up with the decision each year of doing a quick fix on a large area or a full fix on a very small area.
    So let's send 50 crews, each to fix 200m of road, and have each construction project take 6 months.

Seriously, how do you let construction take down a major 4 lane artery down to 2 lanes for an entire year at a time...
    (I lived through the addition of bus express lanes on Center St N at McKnight. My 20min bus ride became 40+ each way)

Every single construction project in Calgary
    Last edited by jwslam; 04-19-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Originally posted by J-hop
    People always talk about how simple it is to run a city
    Thanks Maxis!
    ---

Originally posted by Swank

I just submitted one through 311 online, we'll see how fast that goes nowhere. My poor car is getting worn down from off-roading to work
    All I hear is taxes going up... more requests... need more road crews.

My Ride
    G6

I'm worried about starting to bike and how quickly I'll pop a tire. You could say our roads are... not all they're cracked up to be.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by Swank

A previously owned vehicle was lowered and a little rough riding on the drive home with the bad roads. I had every pot hole fixed on my regular route through 311. The app wasn't around back then so I'd call them in.
    I like neat cars.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by jwslam

So let's send 50 crews, each to fix 200m of road, and have each construction project take 6 months.

Seriously, how do you let construction take down a major 4 lane artery down to 2 lanes for an entire year at a time...
    (I lived through the addition of bus express lanes on Center St N at McKnight. My 20min bus ride became 40+ each way)

Every single construction project in Calgary
    I was not aware that Calgary had the infinite money you'd need to do this.

Your 50 crews would also repair only 10 kilometers of road when all is said and done. That's 0.000625% of all the roads in Calgary. At the rate you describe it'd take 800 years to fix all the roads.

Are you just the smartest guy alive or what

Yea there is waste on city crews for sure but to think it's a "simple fix" shows a complete ignorance to the complexity of running a city.

Funny because when do these conversations usually come up? While people are doggin it over a coffee/cig break

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by b_t
    I was not aware that Calgary had the infinite money you'd need to do this.

Your 50 crews would also repair only 10 kilometers of road when all is said and done. That's 0.000625% of all the roads in Calgary. At the rate you describe it'd take 800 years to fix all the roads.

Are you just the smartest guy alive or what
    Where is the sarcasm font when you need it.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by jwslam

Where is the sarcasm font when you need it.
    internet sarcasm is a dangerous game man

if you are posting after HiTempGuy you gotta use the /s cuz once the wingnuts on here get going it's hard to judge what's a real opinion, what's jokes, and what is just craziness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2