Quantcast
Lafarge Canada wants to rat on you for speeding. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lafarge Canada wants to rat on you for speeding.

Originally posted by swak

hahahaha imagine how frustrating that must be as a driver for Lafarge too, driving 10kph under everywhere you go..
    If they're getting paid hourly, what do they care then. Back in the mid-80's I did a short stint locating cables for TELUS northwest of Edmonton and after learning the hard way that only so many jobs doled out to anyone for an 8 hour shift, I started driving 10kph under the limit as there was just not a rush to get anywhere. I would move over when it was safe to do so for anyone who was in a hurry to get by me but for the most part I was on rural highways and roads with very little traffic so that wasn't even an issue.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:23 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

So you sandbagged your job by impeding traffic on the road?

Normally I'd give you a hard time, but I suspect you are just trolling at this point. This sounds uncharacteristic of a member who literally has "speed" as part of his user name
    Same here as Brad - I used to work for Enmax and it was NEVER a rush to get anywhere (unless an urgent call came in).

Id have to remind some of my coworkers to get out of the fast lane on DeerFoot as they were holding up traffic ....

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

So you sandbagged your job by impeding traffic on the road?

Normally I'd give you a hard time, but I suspect you are just trolling at this point. This sounds uncharacteristic of a member who literally has "speed" as part of his user name
    Not trolling and if you actually read my post you'd see that I wasn't impeding anyone where I was driving and the speed in my nickname is not at all related to how fast I go.

And btw, there was no sandbagging - I tried to get more jobs assigned to me but AGT had very specific rules set by management and no one was gong to bend them. So drive a bit slower I did, stopped once in awhile to watch wildlife and put extra care and attention to the little orange flags and orange paint I was placing to indicate where telephone cables were running. Now it has to be noted that this was in the pre-GPS equipped TELUS vehicle days, things are most likely different now. There was no point in hurrying as I was out of town being put up in a hotel and well, it was Edmonton. There were even some days that I would finish up my assigned work by 1PM and would just pull off at the end of a dead end gravel road and have a snooze - what was the difference of having a snooze there or back at the hotel.

Try harder.
    Last edited by speedog; 04-23-2017 at 12:28 PM.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by speedog

If they're getting paid hourly, what do they care then. Back in the mid-80's I did a short stint locating cables for TELUS northwest of Edmonton and after learning the hard way that only so many jobs doled out to anyone for an 8 hour shift, I started driving 10kph under the limit as there was just not a rush to get anywhere. I would move over when it was safe to do so for anyone who was in a hurry to get by me but for the most part I was on rural highways and roads with very little traffic so that wasn't even an issue.
    I got paid by the hour at a job where I was on the road for a company as well. There was no rush, but consciously felt there was an expectation of me to do the best job i could for the company i was with... While it was easily doable, it meant not f-ing the dog driving around anywhere i could. I assume this same mindset would be the same as Lafarge truck drivers... This is the reason people get speeding tickets.... Is there a rush to get to your dinner reservation or job site as a concrete truck? Maybe not... But people want to do a good job at the end of the day, taking pride in their work and trying to do a good job.
    Doesn't justify speeding at all... im not justifying that... But i can empathize with a driver who could be frustrated for having to drive around 10 kph under the speed limit everywhere they go.

You people are hilarious. This is pretty much a non-issue if it goes through as I can usually count on one finger how many times I see a LaFarge truck on the streets in Calgary in my daily travels and often it will be in an area where no passing is allowed anyway and the speed limit is 50kph.

Well you might have a pretty big chance of getting a ticket through this as you don't seem very observant. I see lafarge cement trucks all the time

Originally posted by swak

I got paid by the hour at a job where I was on the road for a company as well. There was no rush, but consciously felt there was an expectation of me to do the best job i could for the company i was with... While it was easily doable, it meant not f-ing the dog driving around anywhere i could. I assume this same mindset would be the same as Lafarge truck drivers... This is the reason people get speeding tickets.... Is there a rush to get to your dinner reservation or job site as a concrete truck? Maybe not... But people want to do a good job at the end of the day, taking pride in their work and trying to do a good job.
    Doesn't justify speeding at all... im not justifying that... But i can empathize with a driver who could be frustrated for having to drive around 10 kph under the speed limit everywhere they go.
    Doing 40 in a 50kph zoned residential area is probably no big deal for these drivers as stopping a loaded concrete truck isn't done quickly and probably a good lot of them drive a bit slower than the posted residential speed limits juts to give themselves a bit more of a stopping cushion.

Also, I believe all of the LaFarge drivers are unionized so obeying a company rule such as this likely plays well intro such a system for many drivers.
    Last edited by speedog; 04-23-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Originally posted by J-hop

Well you might have a pretty big chance of getting a ticket through this as you don't seem very observant. I see lafarge cement trucks all the time
    A ticket for what? Not observing enough LaFarge trucks? Not passing them where I'm not legally allowed to? Not speeding when passing them where it is legal to do so?

Help me out here.

My Ride

BTW for any one wondering, there is almost no chance of a simple speeding conviction from these trucks.

They have no way of knowing your actual speed without a trained member observing or performing math - using reference points (eg. pavement markers) in the video.

The intent is to catch stupid and moronic maneuvers that put everyone at risk of injury.

If you pass one of these things going 10 over, under normal conditions, there is almost zero chance that anything will become of it.

If you pass one of these guys stopped at a x-walk, while going 40 over and talking on your phone, there is a good chance the video will be sent the EPS traffic guys.

A ticket for what? Not observing enough LaFarge trucks? Not passing them where I'm not legally allowed to? Not speeding when passing them where it is legal to do so?

Help me out here.

This whole post you are talking about tickets, adjusting your driving habits etc around these apparently obvious trucks that you never see yet are everywhere in Calgary

You people are hilarious. This is pretty much a non-issue if it goes through as I can usually count on one finger how many times I see a LaFarge truck on the streets in Calgary in my daily travels and often it will be in an area where no passing is allowed anyway and the speed limit is 50kph.

Besides that, I will assume y'all are smart enough to adjust your driving habits for where the red light/speed-on-green cameras are - well, these LaFarge trucks should be even more obvious than camera on a pole. Another factor to consider here, how likely is it that video or photo evidence from concrete truck will even be admissible in court - how would anyone know what your speed is as the only reference would be road markings or stationary objects and I highly doubt the GPS devices in these trucks are going to calibrated as often as EPS' radar and lidar units as that speed would be the base from which any charge could started from.

Next thing you know we'll be getting speeding tickets in the mail based on Calgary's Bluetooth traffic monitoring system - ya know the estimated time/distance signs on Deerfoot and elsewhere.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

The fact that a concrete company thinks it's their business to police traffic is my issue, yeah it's easy to see their trucks, that doesn't change the fact that they're a concrete business not peace officers.

Pretty much what you should expect from the French. Damn land burning communist surrender monkeys

This whole post you are talking about tickets, adjusting your driving habits etc around these apparently obvious trucks that you never see yet are everywhere in Calgary

You still haven't stated what you'd think I should get a ticket for unless I'm having a major brain fart and am misunderstanding what you meant by 'you might have a pretty big chance of getting a ticket through this as you don't seem very observant'.

You still haven't stated what you'd think I should get a ticket for unless I'm having a major brain fart and am misunderstanding what you meant by 'you might have a pretty big chance of getting a ticket through this as you don't seem very observant'.
    Whatever ticket you were worried about having to modify your driving around these trucks for.....

You: yo it's like not an issue, I never see them and I'm smart enough to modify my driving around them so I don't have to worry about getting a ticket

Me: I see them everywhere so chances are you are missing them and might get a ticket if this is actually implemented and used for tickets.

You: what ticket? What are you talking about? Please explain, I have no clue what you are referring to?

Me:....????

Just busting your balls man

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Whatever ticket you were worried about having to modify your driving around these trucks for.....

You: yo it's like not an issue, I never see them and I'm smart enough to modify my driving around them so I don't have to worry about getting a ticket

Me: I see them everywhere so chances are you are missing them and might get a ticket if this is actually implemented and used for tickets.

You: what ticket? What are you talking about? Please explain, I have no clue what you are referring to?

Me:....????

Just busting your balls man
    A misunderstanding as I am not worried about getting a ticket while around any Lafarge truck.

My Ride

Originally posted by Amysicle

If that were the case, why are they offering up their resources as "pace cars"?
    Its a corporate PR win/win. Their drivers drive with more care and present the APPEARANCE of making a difference with exemplary driving.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by revelations

Its a corporate PR win/win. Their drivers drive with more care and present the APPEARANCE of making a difference with exemplary driving.
    Unless you piss off the people who have the ability to influence decisions on where materials are sourced from. If you have designers who look for alternatives​ to LaFarge products and coordinators/PMs who source from other companies, you wind up losing money.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by revelations

The intent is to catch stupid and moronic maneuvers that put everyone at risk of injury.

They always start out with that reasoning and then it expands into something more when they realize they can make some good $$$ from it. Anyway will see what happens from it.

My Ride

Lafarge is not the EPS - if they wanted to issue tickets to the 100s of vehicles that slightly speed and pass them every day, they would need to hire on an EPS traffic member to analyze each video clip and make a determination and/or estimation of the speed of the vehicle.

Many of these would be BS tickets then as there would not always be a realistic way to calculate and estimate speed within a margin of error that is reasonable (eg. +-15kph).

I could also take the evidence to court and claim reasonable doubt with regards to the playback speed of the video, etc.

In other words, completely unrealistic for the minor speeders (eg 10 over) but feasible for the clowns going 40 over, for eg.

Originally posted by FraserB

Unless you piss off the people who have the ability to influence decisions on where materials are sourced from. If you have designers who look for alternatives​ to LaFarge products and coordinators/PMs who source from other companies, you wind up losing money.
    Kind of like that oh so successful 'don't buy gas on this day so we can teach those fuel companies a lesson', eh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast