Quantcast
Help me pick my daughter's first laptop. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my daughter's first laptop.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Help me pick my daughter's first laptop.

My daughter's 8th birthday is coming up, and is displaying that she can be responsible with being online with other devices like the Wii U, switch, etc...

So we are going to go to the next step and find a laptop for her. Obviously, we will be locking it down, and she only gets to use it at the kitchen table.

So, the requirements we have for it are pretty light. It will be used primarily for watching youtube videos, and play the Pokemon online game and maybe Minecraft as well. We don't need it to be too future proof as it will get updated in the future.

Pokemon online tcg requirements:
    http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tc...line/download/

Minecraft:
    https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/...m-requirements

Budget: We would like to keep it under $300.

I was kinda considering this one...
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10520082.aspx?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    This and that.

I mean I am not an expert, but kind of what you're listing seems to be a good bed. You just need something cheap, that will do the job. So the cheapest possible option that does what you want it to do would be my recommendation.

Also, whatever you decide to get, look on Kijiji. Can find good deals on there.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-28-2017 at 11:33 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Does it need to be a laptop? Those are tablet based games and much more user friendly (minecraft anyways, no clue about TCG) on a touch screen

Thinking outside the box: iOS has much easier parental controls to set up... what about a refurb / used iPad? added bonus of iMessaging for all the friends who have rich parents and own iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse...cialdeals/ipad

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by jwslam
    Does it need to be a laptop? Those are tablet based games and much more user friendly (minecraft anyways, no clue about TCG) on a touch screen

Thinking outside the box: iOS has much easier parental controls to set up... what about a refurb / used iPad? added bonus of iMessaging for all the friends who have rich parents and own iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse...cialdeals/ipad
    we burn apples in this house.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What do they use at her school?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

For kids, size and toughness are important. This one has an SSD (but not a ton of space) and is small enough for kids, but not TOO small as to be hard to use.

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Stream-1...1_2-CA_1_20001

HOWEVER - at that price range (300$) you will have to carefully examine the specs - from a quick glance I dont think my recommendation meets the min game requirements due to Video card.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by spikerS
    we burn apples in this house.
    Why don't you let her decide?

Seriously, it's pretty hilarious seeing some kids excluded because their parents are anti-apple and everyone else is chatting together using iMessage on their iPods haha. Not hilarious for the excluded kid of course.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

Seriously, it's pretty hilarious seeing some kids excluded because their parents are anti-apple and everyone else is chatting together using iMessage on their iPods haha. Not hilarious for the excluded kid of course.
    I dont think its unreasonable at all. Typically little ones need help from time to time as they learn how to use the devices and its much harder to provide guidance if you are unfamiliar yourself.

Also, if the kid feels left out over something as trivial as being included in imessage group chats, the selection of an OS is the least of your worries.

EDIT: OP, i looked at the specs of my kids computer and the one you selected looks fine. He runs the same games with some light steam gaming as well. Being 10, resolution and FPS aren't even in his vocabulary.
    Last edited by spike98; 04-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Laptop is a mistake. Tablet is the way to go and what all the kids are using both in school and at home.

Rage has a good point here, and I can personally attest to my boys going through this when they were young. Although I personally hate apple, it's unfair for me to dictate to them what they should and shouldn't like. I have my opinions, and as they age they will have their own opinions.

As far as being unfamiliar with the devices, it isn't hard at all to become familiar with apple products. My wife is an apple person and I've easily figured out how to support her device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Given the $300 budget, what apple device fits that?

I hate apple too, for the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by spike98

I dont think its unreasonable at all. Typically little ones need help from time to time as they learn how to use the devices and its much harder to provide guidance if you are unfamiliar yourself.

Also, if the kid feels left out over something as trivial as being included in imessage group chats, the selection of an OS is the least of your worries.

EDIT: OP, i looked at the specs of my kids computer and the one you selected looks fine. He runs the same games with some light steam gaming as well. Being 10, resolution and FPS aren't even in his vocabulary.
    Heh, as an adult I rarely text anyone, outside of my significant other, in a direct conversation. Everything is a group chat.

Except for people without iPhones.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I'd be going for a tablet of some sort.

I'm finding more and more that I surf the internet and play games on my phone more just due to size or portability. Once my current laptop is up for replacement, I'll be switching over to a desktop for work that absolutely requires a full blown computer and a good high level tablet for everything else.

I also assume that with the proper case, a tablet would be a lot more forgiving with kids than a laptop.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by spike98
    This isn't a left out because they're unpopular or whatever, this is purely a technological barrier and others stop bothering to text update the person here and there and they miss out. It's a hassle, someone forgets, never intentional.

My nephew plays Jr Hockey, had to buy his own phone, could only afford an entry level Android and was constantly missing out on team invites. Drove him nuts. It's not that his teammates were trying to exclude him, but trying to include him was an extra step of the process and it just got missed. After a while, you're not even privy to inside jokes because you're not on the inside anymore. Got himself a used iPad, social life back on track.

For kids, Apple has the segment locked down thanks to the iPod and iMessage because parents don't think they're ready for phones yet. It's the default tool that kids use to chat with one another. When they're ready to move to a phone, the progression to an iPhone becomes seamless. It's gotten ridiculous levels of penetration in the teenaged years in the US (Overseas where Android is much stronger and spending power lower is a different story).

http://www.piperjaffray.com/3col.aspx?id=4359

iPhone ownership of 76% is our highest rating ever with upside remaining – 81% of teens say their next phone will be an iPhone.
    Something to think about for long term investing.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    As far as being unfamiliar with the devices, it isn't hard at all to become familiar with apple products. My wife is an apple person and I've easily figured out how to support her device.
    Kids figure stuff out on their own as well. Our 9 y/o teaches me new iOS tricks regularly, which makes me feel extremely old and dumb.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

the budget is pretty tight, that's going to decide all of the other factors really, unless you go used, you'll only find a couple of laptops under $300 anyway, and definitely no apple products.

My daughter is 7, shes had a tablet since she was 3, she loves them, mostly uses it for youtube and lame games, but for $100 for something like the amazon kids tablet, would be a great option, a year of toss it down the stairs warranty, and cheap enough that you really dont care, and by the time she's in to the workforce, the world will be tablets anyway so its a vaulable tool to learn to use. Traditional computers are getting pushed out.

Funny on the apple topic, i never let my son (14 now) have an iphone for a long time, i just couldn't justify the price premium, and i didnt want to support it, but a few months ago his grandma was upgrading so she gave him her Iphone 5, he was super happy, for the first 3 weeks, haha, now he is asking to change to an android again, kids are just never satisfied.
    Last edited by Thaco; 04-28-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Refurbed iPad. This is what my 3 y/o uses. <$300.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...fi-32gb-silver

Older one is learning to code on it using Swift Playgrounds.

If she's set on an Android tablet, well, there's a ton to choose from at that price range.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Refurbed iPad. This is what my 3 y/o uses. &lt;$300.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...fi-32gb-silver

Older one is learning to code on it using Swift Playgrounds.

If she's set on an Android tablet, well, there's a ton to choose from at that price range.
    yeah lots of options in tablets, i was initially referring only to the question of laptop.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

iPad or Chromebook.

They use Chromebooks in schools, so it should be familiar to an 8 year old.

I used to be anti Apple, but I've come to realize that they make the best tablet on the market; everyone in the house has one. We still have Android phones though.
    Last edited by phreezee; 04-28-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Originally posted by phreezee
    iPad or Chromebook.

They use Chromebooks in schools, so it should be familiar to an 8 year old.

I used to be anti Apple, but I've come to realize that they make the best tablet on the market everyone in the house has one. We still have Android phones though.
    My wife has an iPad air 1 and 2, and yeah, it is a pretty damn good tablet i have to admit. it's great for reading cbc news while dropping a deuce. I know you can say the same about droid users though, but i come across it more with apple users.

Anyway, i think a tablet may be the way to go over a laptop.

OP is your kid going to be using the laptop for school or just for games and videos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast