Quantcast
Nvidia Shield and Plex. Is it as simple as streaming directly from my NAS? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Shield and Plex. Is it as simple as streaming directly from my NAS?

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Default Nvidia Sheild and Plex. Is it as simple as streaming directly from my NAS?

So, for the last 3 months, I've been fighting to get my Xbox One to play my movies. No dice. It is too crippled by Microsoft to play my files.

I have on my NAS MKV h.264 files with lossless audio. Blu-ray rips using MakeMKV. I have the NAS in my entertainment unit, and it plays the files fine through Plex and the HDMI port on the back. But the noise is irritating. The spinning, grinding and grunting is driving me nuts. So, I'm looking at the 16GB Nvidia Shield. If I install the plex player on that, and leave the Media Server on my NAS, will I come into problems like skipping, stuttering, and freezing. Or, is the Nvidia powerful enough to just play the files natively, and not have a problem? I don't want to drop $300 on something that gives me the same problems I already have.

Nvidia owners? Help.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Why not just play it on the Xbox using the Plex app?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride

The processor in the NAS is not powerful enough to transcode the A/V fast enough for formats that the Xbox accepts. Currently, there's an experimental firmware for the Media Server program, but it still stops and starts for both MPEG-2 and VC-1 encoded Blu-rays. Those formats are carried over when I rip with MakeMKV. So, it doesn't work properly, and lord knows when they'll get an improved firmware released.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

If the media device supports 4K, it will support H.264, so long as your network can handle the bitrate.
    My PS4 using the universal media server app can handle H.264 just fine, my LG TV can handle H.265 full HDR files off a USB hdd, some of the files have been up to 50gb for 110min content. .

I personally don't use pled because they want you to pay for the ability to run of a media server. I'll just tick what's free, even if it means copying content onto a hard drive

My Ride

Thanks Rick.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

If it was me I would drop more money into a NAS instead, something with the power to transcode when needed. Much more flexible when the source can be adjusted as needed vs having to have something work on one device, and not on the other.

I use a physical server for all my stuff in the house, just running a Quad core i7, it's my storage server, my vm host, and my plex box, and I can play all my media on anything I have. My plex works fantastic on Roku 3s, Xbox, phones, you name it.

Your issue is the underpowered NAS it looks like.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    If the media device supports 4K, it will support H.264, so long as your network can handle the bitrate.
    My PS4 using the universal media server app can handle H.264 just fine, my LG TV can handle H.265 full HDR files off a USB hdd, some of the files have been up to 50gb for 110min content. .

I personally don't use pled because they want you to pay for the ability to run of a media server. I'll just tick what's free, even if it means copying content onto a hard drive
    I'm a cheap bastard, and even I think that Plex is worth every damn penny.

My Ride

Originally posted by Buster

I'm a cheap bastard, and even I think that Plex is worth every damn penny.
    I've never had a need with a PS4, it does everything for free, it's just not bundled. The only time I use a hdd to my TV is with super high bitrate h.264, or H.265 files wich the PS4 can't play natively, UMS, though; will transcode them on the fly on my computer (i5 clocked to 4.0mhz), but I just transfer them since there's always some loss to transcoding that way and you start to see artifacts and randomn pixilations.

If guess that why I never understood plexs' business model, charging for something that you can get free.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 04-29-2017 at 11:18 AM.

My Ride
    ute

I've never had a need with a PS4, it does everything for free, it's just not bundled. The only time I use a hdd to my TV is with super high bitrate h.264, or H.265 files wich the PS4 can't play natively, UMS, though; will transcode them on the fly on my computer (i5 clocked to 4.0mhz), but I just transfer them since there's always some loss to transcoding that way and you start to see artifacts and randomn pixilations.

If guess that why I never understood plexs' business model, charging for something that you can get free.
    It really depends on how you want to use your content. Plex Media Server allows you to basically run your local content as if it were a Netflix equivalent. Any device, any time, and place, with the ability to sync to the local device if desired.

My Ride

It really depends on how you want to use your content. Plex Media Server allows you to basically run your local content as if it were a Netflix equivalent. Any device, any time, and place, with the ability to sync to the local device if desired.
    That sounds not bad, TBH I've never played around with it, given that I never got past paying for it, lol. If my house was filled with Smart TVs I may go for it, but that means setting up a dedicated NAS, and again I'm pretty content with just using my desktop and Universal Media Server to do the job on the odd weekend I've decided to watch a movie from a file.

I'm sure I'll break down and pay for it at some point or another because you're quite right everything that has streaming capabilities has an option to install plex.

My Ride

This. Plex in itself is free, you don't actually have to buy it. Can just install the server and try. The paid version just gives you extra perks and features that most people don't need. I have the lifetime plex pass and it's been fantastic for me. I run mine just like a Netflix, large library that all my family can share, and then 150mbps upstream from my telus fiber line doesn't hurt. My sister in Van and my parents across the city all watch stuff from my Plex server.

Some of the features that I do like with Plex pass that you don't get normally:

1. Profiling - have a profile for each person. My wife watches Japanese movies and shows, stuff my parents have no interest in, so they don't see Japanese stuff at all, instead they see the Russian stuff they like.

2. Trailers - not a big thing, but having the trailer right there when you trying to decide what to watch is pretty nice.

3. Library share - can share your content with someone else who has Plex, outside of the family. You choose what content they can see...then see it just like their own content on their own Plex account.

4. Sync. - don't like to travel across international boarders with movies and stuff on my Surface....so I just login to Plex the night before I am heading home, and sync up enough content to plex to keep me busy for the trip ahead.

My Ride

Originally posted by eblend
    If it was me I would drop more money into a NAS instead, something with the power to transcode when needed. Much more flexible when the source can be adjusted as needed vs having to have something work on one device, and not on the other.

I use a physical server for all my stuff in the house, just running a Quad core i7, it's my storage server, my vm host, and my plex box, and I can play all my media on anything I have. My plex works fantastic on Roku 3s, Xbox, phones, you name it.

Your issue is the underpowered NAS it looks like.
    Which one would you suggest? I've looked at what's available at Mem Ex, and they're all either similar, or the same as what I have. Keep in mind, I'm not dropping $1000 or more, I'd like to keep it affordable.

My Ride
    Model S

Plex is free for that. They do require you to make a free account though, which is kind of annoying.

My Ride

Originally posted by googe

Plex is free for that. They do require you to make a free account though, which is kind of annoying.
    It kind of makes sense though since it allows you remote access to the server component.

My Ride

Originally posted by ZMan2k2

Which one would you suggest? I've looked at what's available at Mem Ex, and they're all either similar, or the same as what I have. Keep in mind, I'm not dropping $1000 or more, I'd like to keep it affordable.
    Sorry, don't really have a recommendation. Never used any of these pre-built NAS devices. Yah you are probably looking at much more to get something much more powerful, just figured it would be a long term fix.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I tried running Plex off my Nas, and got frustrated when it was unable to encode even 720p stuff (which is what it's "rated" for according to Plex), so I end up running the server off my gaming rig, with all the content stored on my NAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Worth while to repeat again....

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...for-my-Server-

Unless your NAS has a full size desktop cpu, transcoding off it won't be any good.

Only a limited amount of NAS will have enough power to run Plex and transcode a 1080p stream.

Here is a full list of what level of trancoding your NAS is able to do:
    https://docs.google.com/a/plexapp.co...UxU0jdj3tmMPc/

Originally posted by ZMan2k2

Looks around and find the oldest Windows Laptop/Desktop you around that meet the spec listed above. Set up autologin and Plex server and map a drive to the NAS. That's your Plex server.

If you don't have one, look for some old refurb stuff will also do:
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10582605.aspx?

Of course, the better the CPU, the more future proof you'll be when you start streaming high bitrate 1080p or 4K.

And if you are using Synology, there is DS Video + Chromecast but interface is inferior and I have never tried how well it works.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-30-2017 at 09:14 PM.

My Ride

Thanks Xtrema, great advice. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that, what I was hoping for, streaming through the Xbox One, will not happen with what I have. And being on disability, and receiving only 80% pay, what I need may be beyond my reach. I'd like something that I could set up in RAID 1, and what you linked won't do that. So, I'm going to have to put up with the HDD noises in my livingroom, and just use what I have, and be happy with that.

I appreciate all the advice and direction. It's been eye opening.
    Thanks.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Have you tried using the optimize feature in Plex to re-encode your media to a more Xbox One friendly format? I would try to re-encode to use Direct Play/Stream instead of transcoding on the fly.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...mized-Versions

edit: I see there is an Xbox One setting under Custom

My Ride

Originally posted by gpomp
    Have you tried using the optimize feature in Plex to re-encode your media to a more Xbox One friendly format? I would try to re-encode to use Direct Play/Stream instead of transcoding on the fly.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...mized-Versions

edit: I see there is an Xbox One setting under Custom
    Checking it out now. I'm converting 1 movie, and I'll see how it works. Ideally, I'd like to keep available space for more movies, but if sacrificing some of it for Xbox playable versions, I'll give it some thought. Thanks for pointing that out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast