Quantcast
A very important program you need to install right now. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A very important program you need to install right now.

Default A very important program you need to install right now.

Virtually all infections seen today are considered PUPS (Potentially Unwanted Programs). These are toolbars, adware, scam driver update programs, scam cleaner programs, etc. They do nothing good for your computer, and will cause a whole host of computer problems. Almost all computers I work on will have at least 1 PUP that was inadvertently installed.

PUPS get installed via legit free software. That is, the end user goes to install something and just keeps clicking next, next, next, without looking at the details of what is being installed. Even if the end user checks for what is being installed, the install options can be very misleading and tricky.

The "Unchecky" program aims to stop all that. I've tested it, and it works great.

https://unchecky.com/

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Sounds like a Potentially Unwanted Program to me

Was that supposed to funny, or do you have a point?

My Ride

I think I have a point....why install a program that will run in the background...updates...all to do what, just to uncheck a checkbox that anyone with half a brain wouldn't click in the first place. How often does one install random programs that they would need something like this? I just don't see the point, it's like throwing a program on your computer to clutter it...to prevent others from cluttering it.

Originally posted by eblend
    I think I have a point....why install a program that will run in the background...updates...all to do what, just to uncheck a checkbox that anyone with half a brain wouldn't click in the first place. How often does one install random programs that they would need something like this? I just don't see the point, it's like throwing a program on your computer to clutter it...to prevent others from cluttering it.
    You don't see the point for 2 reasons:

1) YOU know about the check boxes, but most end users don't.
    2) If you were in the industry, you would know about #1.

PUPS are by far the #1 software reason why people have to pay to get their computer serviced. For example, here it is at 11:00 AM on a Saturday, and the first 2 computers to come in are due to to PUPS.

NOTE: Antivirus programs can't stop PUPS.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I use a one-time program called Adware cleaner, that looks for pups, pums and browser hijacks, extentions etc. No need to have anything else running in the background. Just run a scan a few times a month and youre all good.

^ You're not getting it either.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm also not getting it. Can you clarify?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by revelations
    I use a one-time program called Adware cleaner, that looks for pups, pums and browser hijacks, extentions etc. No need to have anything else running in the background. Just run a scan a few times a month and youre all good.
    Oh that's wonderful. Allow the PUPS in to cause damage, then try to clean up the problem afterwords. Great solution Rev

And enough of this running in the background BS. It's a tiny program that uses an insignificant amount of resources and will protect most end users from the most prevalent infections.

FFS, this isn't that hard to understand.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I'm also not getting it. Can you clarify?
    I explained it all in my first post. But I see why you would ask, as Eblend and Rev caused confusion with totally wrong points.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 04-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I don't really understand the purpose of the software, can you provide some additional details on how it works
    Thanks Sugar

My Ride

Ive found that anything thats truly nasty will be (and has in the past been) most likely caught by Malwarebytes running in the back ground.

Its my solution to 100s of clients and has worked great the past 5 years in that I don't get called back in for needless repeat work.

I use this (free, adware cleaner) program to clean up browsers specifically for clients. Its quick, one time and works very well.

Ive found that anything thats truly nasty will be (and has in the past been) most likely caught by Malwarebytes running in the back ground.

That's BS too.

NO, I repeat, NO security product will stop the most nasty infections which is Crypto locker and the fake Microsoft security scam.

Enough of this MalwareBytes BS too. You're just repeating ignorance with that whole, "Malwarebytes is God" thing. MalwareBytes is good for one thing. That is, claiming hundreds of infections found that are nothing but benign registry entries. MB has become another scam to try and scare the end user into shelling out money.

My Ride

I just think you are preaching to a choir that's all. Yes perhaps useful program for my parents, but the demographic on beyond is pretty tech savy for the most part. Seems like every couple of month you make another post about Pups, and another advice on something to deal with them. Obviously I am not the only one with this opinion. Your post title just suggests that we all should be doing this and that, and if we are not we are wrong, as evidenced by some of the replies right in this thread, and some of the previous ones.

And yes.. I am in the industry, just don't do end user stuff anymore.

My Ride

Originally posted by Seth1968

That's BS too.

NO, I repeat, NO security product will stop the most nasty infections which is Crypto locker and the fake Microsoft security scam.

Enough of this MalwareBytes BS too. You're just repeating ignorance with that whole, "Malwarebytes is God" thing. MalwareBytes is good for one thing. That is, claiming hundreds of infections found that are nothing but benign registry entries. MB has become another scam to try and scare the end user into shelling out money.
    MB is not god, I've just used it enough times to clean up clients systems to know what works. ESET is good too but I have found MB works better to remove the pup/pums etc. as mentioned above.

Again, I have done my job when I dont get a call back to a business, after I just cleaned out all their systems of garbage, to fix the same problem again. I simply use tools that I've found to work.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-29-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Originally posted by eblend
    And yes.. I am in the industry, just don't do end user stuff anymore.
    Well considering end user stuff is everything, then what the hell are you babbling about?

MB is not god, I've just used it enough times to clean up clients systems to know what works. ESET is good too but I have found MB works better to remove the pup/pums etc. as mentioned above.

Again, I have done my job when I dont get a call back to a business, after I just cleaned out all their systems of garbage, to fix the same problem again. I simply use tools that I've found to work.
    So you cleaned them out. Any computer repair monkey can do that.

What have you done to appease the client with preventive measures? HINT: Unchecky FFS.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by Seth1968

That's BS too.

This! Today's truly bad malware walks right through the best most up to date AV programs.

MB went to shit a couple of years back when it from something decent to drug induced "Transformer toy"

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
    Last edited by Seth1968; 04-29-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast