Quantcast
'17 Ford restoration project - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '17 Ford restoration project

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Default '17 Ford restoration project

Typical Ford, a '17 and needs work already. I also keep swearing not to buy black cars, but they keep following me home. Here we see the Ford in it's natural environment (on a flatdeck).

All kidding aside, I'm thrilled to add this to the fleet. It's a '17 Ford Model T, and about as different as you can get from a modern car aside from a true horseless carriage which is out of the budget.

Henry wasn't big on features and needed to keep MSRP down to a palatable $360USD, so there's no starter (other than a crank), no battery, generator, water pump, gauges of any sort, seatbelts, signals, taillights, wheel brakes, or any of that nonsense. The drivers door is just a stamped dummy door line and doesn't open (on US-built cars) as the handbrake / transmission lever is in the way anyways. It does have factory kerosene lamps in case your magneto should surge and fry your headlight bulbs. I haven't found any evidence of options being available in this year though, so by InRich standards, it is indeed fully loaded.

There are three pedals inside, none of which do what you expect. The left is Low/High/Clutch, the middle is reverse, and the right controls a cotton band which tightens around a drum in the transmission and serves as the only 'brake' on the car. The throttle control lives on the steering wheel opposite the manual spark advance control. Henry was thoughtful enough to include a in-cab adjustable carb mixture control as well, so the driver has on-the-fly tuning capability to wring out most of the 20 horsepower this savage 2.9L 4 cylinder can offer thanks to it's 4.5:1 compression ratio (not a typo).

The ownership history that came with the car goes back to the early 30s, but there's no evidence of which mod-crazy car guy tricked the car out with the best aftermarket accessories of the day including the coveted Boyce Moto-Meter rad cap (not pictured). Oh, you've got 20" chrome rims? That's cute, this rolls on 21" wood aftermarket demountables. Maybe TireBob can hook me up with some new 21x4.00-4.50 rubber without the ~95 year old split rims killing too many tire techs in the process. Also not factory correct is the aftermarket hand operated horn, which I assume would make a sweet Ahoooga sound, if it wasn't suffering from being as old as the car.

With the lack of options, a set of tires and fixing the horn should be all that stands between me and a successful out of province inspection and being able to throw Alberta tin on it for a couple months. Any Beyonders know a guy? Preferably mobile and well-versed enough in vintage to know and accept that 90% of the items on the list will be N/A.

The car runs and moves, but is currently dragging in low gear even in neutral which I understand is normal for Ts that have been sitting. I'll change the oil, reline the cotton bands in the transmission that serve to enable high/low gear and apply the brake, and maybe try to remagnetize the magneto as the PO had the coils ghetto-rigged to a battery in the back. If I can get it running/driving well enough to pass inspection and serve in my upcoming wedding, it gets to live until its 100th birthday this summer before getting torn apart and restored. If not, it comes apart now to go through it and make it right.

I know much of Beyond is more 'Tesla Model S' than 'Ford Model T', but if there's interest in a car born before most of Beyond's grandparents were a twinkle in their great-grandparents eyes, I can document the work involved in getting it running and/or restoring it.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Cool project! Looks like its in pretty solid shape.

A friend of a friend...Ted Zylstra owns Braeside Auto.

I only mention him because he is a vintage lover like yourself.

I believe he has a Model T as well as a vintage fire truck. Possibly a few more.

He might be able to help in the inspection / certification and possibly provide assistance where needed.

Good Luck.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Where did you pick this ol'girl up from?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

Originally posted by never
    Cool project! Looks like its in pretty solid shape.
    It's a 20 footer, get close and there's enough filler, cracks and problems to indicate that I won't be happy when it comes time to strip or blast the body and see the sins that lie beneath the paint. But, it's 100 years old and I'm not very nice to 'future me' who will be cursing myself later for not buying a restored car to begin with.

A restored car was in the budget, but my "I could fix that" side came out again and convinced me to drag this home instead. At least it was priced right and came with a brand new full interior kit.

Originally posted by Nufy
    A friend of a friend...Ted Zylstra owns Braeside Auto
    Thanks! Will get in touch with him.

Originally posted by schurchill39
    Where did you pick this ol'girl up from?
    Kijiji, Trail BC. Bought it sight unseen Tuesday, then scrambled to get a car trailer together so I could spend all weekend slowly dragging an ancient open car back on a flatdeck without ruining anything.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Oh wow super cool!!!

I was wondering what type of "17" ford would need restoration haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Exploded.

OMG YES! TEACH US HOW TO DRIVE THIS WITCHCRAFT MACHINE WHERE ACCELERATOR IS NEAR THE STEERING WHEEL!

WHY AM I YELLING.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    That was the first thing I thought of. Thought it was going to be a bash Ford joke, but came out of the thread excited.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Originally posted by BokCh0y

Originally posted by rage2

That was the first thing I thought of. Thought it was going to be a bash Ford joke, but came out of the thread excited.

Intentional title clickbait and Ford bashing opportunity. Couldn't pass it up.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by flipstah
    OMG YES! TEACH US HOW TO DRIVE THIS WITCHCRAFT MACHINE WHERE ACCELERATOR IS NEAR THE STEERING WHEEL!

WHY AM I YELLING.
    I'm with this guy.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride

So, the Ford lured me down the old "While I'm in there, I might as well.." trap. A phone call to George Moir, a run to the Red Deer Swap Meet, and Visa charge equivalent to a small mortgage payment got me a box of 'T' parts that I'll need.

The car ran, but ran like shit, so I figured I might as well start with the good old 'plugs, wires, etc' tune-up. With the plugs and wires is a vintage Ford spark plug / head bolt wrench. Fun fact: The factory Ford service manual doesn't have a torque spec for the head, the length of the wrench is designed to let the average mechanic put roughly the right torque on the bolts.

I figured since I'd be replacing the plugs, wires, rad hoses, timer, etc. I might as well paint the engine since I can save myself a ton of masking while I'm in there.

Ah crap, the staining on the block indicates the head gasket has been leaking at some point. I've never had the car on the road, or running long enough to get hot, but damned if I'm painting and putting fresh parts on an engine that's just going to geyser on me when I get it hot.

The upside to a 100 year old car is that it took maybe 45 minutes to go from a running car to this stage.

It looks like someone's been inside not too many miles ago. The valves are pretty clean, at least one has been replaced, and there's some healthy looking crosshatching in the bores.

The downside is that it took another 2 hours of work with that shitty blue scraper to get to this stage, where I paused for a supply run to the house to grab a beer and convince the future Mrs. Carson Blocks that she didn't in fact need her nice red stove cleaning scraper anymore, and that it would serve a higher purpose in the garage.

Another couple hours with the good scraper and a wire brush got it finished properly. A wire brush seems excessive, but if you could see the surface roughness the factory left on these, wire brush scratches could only improve the gasket seal. The head looked alright, but I certainly wasn't putting another 4 hours in to cleaning that surface when I could take the lazy way out / do it the right way and get the head resurfaced.

Nice and clean and flat, but with some pitting, and a little chipping around the combustion chambers. I'll have to keep my eye out at the swap meets for a nice replacement head for next time this needs to come apart for any reason.

An hour of obsessive cleaning with a shopvac and various garage chemicals got the bores and intake/exhaust ports clean enough I could be reasonably satisfied there were no gasket chunks or grit from the cleaning stuck in a piston ring waiting to ruin my fun. It sure is handy having a crank on the front to easily turn the engine slowly while cleaning.

Here it is all reassembled with new valve cover gaskets, coolant outlet gaskets, and after hours of scrubbing, wire brushing, and degreasing. I chose to use a torque wrench and the 50lb-ft recommendation that came with the new silicon coated gasket over Henry Ford's recommendation of an average mechanic using an average pull on the correct wrench.

And after a coat of paint.

Factory 'paint' for this year was a 50/50 mix of 'gilsonite' (a type of asphalt) and mineral spirits, and was more 'hosed on' than properly painted. Apparently satin black is a pretty close match to the correct look, so I went with satin black high heat enamel. Truthfully, I'm not thrilled with how it looks, it looked cleaner in the brighter, non-correct colours. Maybe I'll revisit the paint scheme later, or maybe when it's got all the contrasting bits bolted on it will look alright.

The rad is off getting hot-tanked as this is what was draining from the cooling system.

Last edited by carson blocks; 05-13-2017 at 11:25 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

This is just fucking cool

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

This is gonna be so cool!

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Awesome! You'll be able to put all 20 horses to the ground now!

My Ride
    DC2

The thread title brought me here but this post delivers!

My Ride

I wasn't going to bolt my crusty old carb back up to my nice clean engine, so Sunday became carb rebuild day. I'm not great with carbs, and couldn't find a manual or instructions for this particular carb, so had to just figure out how to disassemble it, clean everything, and remember how it went back together. Good thing it's pretty simple and not a 4bbl Quadrajet with springs and linkages all over the place.

Here's the ugly and dirty '15-'17 Kingston 'Model L' carb. Ford used at least 3 different carburetors in '17 so if this doesn't work out, I'll search for an equally correct Holley 'G' as it seems a little easier to get, and to get parts for.

The old cork float is pretty crunchy looking.

I've been spending too much on convenient aerosol cans of brake and carb cleaner. Time to go old school. A couple tins from delicious Safeway short ribs, a pilfered paint brush from the future Mrs. Carson Blocks' craft supplies, and a gallon of Varsol is much cheaper.

Luckily, I'd imagined the carb would need going through, so a set of Kingston gaskets and a new float was in my big box of goodies from George Moir. At this point I was just hoping I could remember how all the parts went back in.

No spare parts, and it looks like a carburetor. We'll put this in the 'win' column for now. Rebuilt the petcock while I was at it. Really loving parts that were intended to be serviced rather than simply replaced. Zero cost to rebuild the petcock, just cleaning and a little grease.

The carb bowl looked like cheap pot metal, and it had some scars, a previous brazing repair, and remnants of silver paint so it got a hit of 'Cast Iron' engine paint along with the manifolds. The carb body is just the original cleaned up bronze body with no coating. If I was truly ambitious, I'd have bead blasted and clearcoated it, but the car is destined to be driven, not a show piece.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Good work...and I agree with parts intended for service versus the modern day dispose/replace approach. Much prefer the fix it yourself approach.

My Ride

Awesome project!

If you haven't already, might want to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner. Time-savers of epic proportions.

My Ride

Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
    Awesome project!

If you haven't already, might want to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner. Time-savers of epic proportions.
    I'd love one, but have been told to stay away from the bargain Chinese ones. Any recommendations on one that is priced attractively enough for hobby use, but isn't a piece of junk? Something big enough for a head, or for a pair of large carbs at once would be a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast