Quantcast
Advice needed - Network Technician (Fast Track) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Advice needed - Network Technician (Fast Track)

Default Advice needed - Network Technician (Fast Track)

Has anyone taken the fast track program for Network Technician at SAIT before?

I am going through a selection appointment, if anyone have done that in the past and don't mind sharing your experience/way to prepare for the appointment that would be great.

Thanks

Waste of money. You can learn that for free easily online and then write your CCNA afterwards. So many students cheat in that program anyway.

The selection appointment is also a joke, they let pretty much anyone in. It's a sales tactic to get you thinking you've been 'approved'. You'll find half your class are muppets and that SAIT really just wants $$$.

Just use YouTube and other online tutorials if you want to learn networking.
    Last edited by born2workoncars; 05-03-2017 at 08:42 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Yeah they let anyone in except me.

I booked a appointment to get a understanding of entrance exams etc.

They said I have to do a English test. I said im from England (Born raised etc), I speak English. The lady looked at me like I was lying.
    She asked me nonchalantly if I have my educational certificates. So I pull out my college certificates and university degree.
    She looked at me blankly and said (im not making this up) 'but these do not say that they were done in English...?'

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Originally posted by born2workoncars
    Waste of money. You can learn that for free easily online and then write your CCNA afterwards. So many students cheat in that program anyway.

The selection appointment is also a joke, they let pretty much anyone in. It's a sales tactic to get you thinking you've been 'approved'. You'll find half your class are muppets and that SAIT really just wants $$$.

Just use YouTube and other online tutorials if you want to learn networking.
    This would go well for any reputable employer who demands any college/university diploma or degree.

Name: Joe Blow

Schooling: YouTube

Aspirations: Lead network admin of the deep fryer at McDonalds

Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit

This would go well for any reputable employer who demands any college/university diploma or degree.

Name: Joe Blow

Schooling: YouTube

Aspirations: Lead network admin of the deep fryer at McDonalds
    Any competent CTO will realize that SAIT IT diplomas aren't really an indicator of competency.

May as well save $$$$ and learn the exact same information online, for free.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by born2workoncars

Any competent CTO will realize that SAIT IT diplomas aren't really an indicator of competency.

May as well save $$$$ and learn the exact same information online, for free.
    I can vouch for this as well. I would hire someone who has demonstrated self-learning (with past projects to show for and references) over a sait, Cert mill student.

Its highly industry dependent though - a self-taught doctor wouldnt be my first choice.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-03-2017 at 11:09 AM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

The IT industry is in tough shape right now, just be warned, not a lot of jobs and hundreds of applicants for each one
    Sig nuked by mod.

You can practice networking using VMWare and Packet Tracer. These are the exact same tools used at SAIT.

Keep in mind SAIT will preach things like '99% employment rate of SAIT graduates in their field' - that includes Network Tech's who work Support Desk roles that have little to no relevancy to their education. You'll also find that in the evolving IT world, your job may become irrelevant and obsolete due to automation and efficiency. This was being discussed in depth in another thread recently.

Buddy at my work studied and did his CCNA all on his own time over a few months. A lot of those courses seem to be useless. Seems like its all about WHO you know in the industry, not WHAT you know..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by johnlennon
    Buddy at my work studied and did his CCNA all on his own time over a few months. A lot of those courses seem to be useless. Seems like its all about WHO you know in the industry, not WHAT you know..
    Certification is a must if you are a newb to even get in the door. Depends on what kind of learner you are, SAIT with instructor may be better if you need someone explain stuff to you in a 2 way communication.

But given some people I worked with in the industry who really should not be, are actually now teaching at SAIT, I don't think you are getting any value from these courses, especially if you are ok with self pace learning.

The WHO you know factor is also a major factor. Got a CCNA (suppose to be one but doesn't act like one) being assigned from a service provider but word is he got the gig because he is buddy with manager at the provider.

Lucky he was paired with someone who knows his shit that ended up carrying for the team and hiding this guy's incompetence.

There was a lot of that in IT, a bit less today but still true.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-04-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Bad timing locally, Shaw just dumped 200 employees.

Realistically, "Wiring" switching IT is pretty much over. The machine is doing everything now. I'm with TekSavvy for cable internet in Calgary. They don't even have an office in Calgary, or a kiosk for sales.

Now that Telus is adhereing to the Wireless mandate of $75 for 250GB of cellular data, there will be not be as much party money to go around (no more $1,000 cellphone data bills)

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/new/smart-hub

As long as you don't learn how to fix a combustion engine you might be able to scrape by, but make no mistake IT is also a shrinking field.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.