Quantcast
boy cars are quick - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: boy cars are quick

Default boy cars are quick

Didn't realize how many low-mid 5 economical cars there are out there these days...

got a rental A3 2.0 Quattro and just reading some road tests, they are 5.4 to 60 and can quarter just under 14... and a lot thanks to the DSG

but wow, I mean well built small displacement turbo engines are really all the rage, and I'm feeling that not only has drivability improved, but with the fat low end torque these engines produce, mid-200 hp cars are making it very economical to purchase speed.

I was very very surprised how quick my neighbor's 228i, and how if you look at hp/torque figures... how is it possible that this car has figures that can keep up with much higher HP vehicles?

To shave off half a second off the performance of the 228 on the 0-60 or even quarter mile time, you need what appears to be either substantially more displacement or boost.

Is this 4 cyl mid-200 hp w/ 260lbs of torque @ 1200 RPM the new normal?

With how VAG started this trend with the TFSI, Ford 2.3/2.7 engines are being shoehorned everywhere, Hyundai and Kia's boosted 2.0, Volvo's supercharged/turbo'd 2.0 and now the Germans... I think it must be

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Default Re: boy cars are quick

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    Didn't realize how many low-mid 5 economical cars there are out there these days...

got a rental A3 2.0 Quattro and just reading some road tests, they are 5.4 to 60 and can quarter just under 14... and a lot thanks to the DSG

but wow, I mean well built small displacement turbo engines are really all the rage, and I'm feeling that not only has drivability improved, but with the fat low end torque these engines produce, mid-200 hp cars are making it very economical to purchase speed.

I was very very surprised how quick my neighbor's 228i, and how if you look at hp/torque figures... how is it possible that this car has figures that can keep up with much higher HP vehicles?

To shave off half a second off the performance of the 228 on the 0-60 or even quarter mile time, you need what appears to be either substantially more displacement or boost.

With how VAG started this trend with the TFSI, Ford 2.3/2.7 engines are being shoehorned everywhere, Hyundai and Kia's boosted 2.0, Volvo's supercharged/turbo'd 2.0 and now the Germans... I think it must be
    You've driven the two of the best 2.0T engines in the world. Not all small turbo engines are equal and then it highly depends what vehicles they are in. Some German manufacturers also underrate their engine outputs.

My Ride
    ute

I think a lot of the time the engines are under-rated as well...especially the midlevel ones. That's always been BMWs trick.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Under 4 seconds 0-60 is quick nowadays.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Very true. Even a new Golf with the 1.8 Turbo is no slouch. Especially considering how much cheaper one could be had compared to a gTI with the 2.0.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: boy cars are quick

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    Yes. This should replace traditional V6 except when the vehicle is heavy or need tow something.

Turbo 4s are now being brought on to due with emission/CAFE standard imposed by governments.

Now that there are 10 states that also have ZEV mandates, expect EV to improve and replace ICE market share as well.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.

VAG motors are nuts.

This guy is into his s4 for $25-30k USD including the car itself. 20 year old motor technology. I don't think you could build a faster car for less money? The new motors are very impressive, but I think the 2.7t might end up as the GOAT.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by born2workoncars

I don't think you could build a faster car for less money?

An Audi???????????
    I like neat cars.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:41 PM.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Let's not get crazy here...

How much is an Accord 6-6 these days?

More than you can afford pal... vtec
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    NC1

Tempted to pick up a girly TT-RS lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Bolt ons and tune on the Golf R gives it potential to run 11s in the 1/4 (some guy just did it in Edmonton 2 weeks ago)

Cars are getting crazy. Its awesome.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

The importance of commas: I was wondering what "girl cars" are slow?

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Quick girl cars....Audi TT, Mercedes SLK, Mini Cooper S

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:41 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Let's not get crazy here...

How much is an Accord 6-6 these days?
    Better snap one up quick, no V6 for 2018. I think it's amazing to own a fuel sipping, quiet, reliable daily driver that is as fast as a '94 LT1 Corvette.

It's a great time to be a car enthusiast imo.

My brother's MK7 GTI is unbelievable for a little 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder. It gives you a nice big hit of low end torque off the line and pulls pretty hard.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 05-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.

The LT1 corvette isn't a fast car by today's standards man. Not to mention that car is 2 years away from being able to get classic car insurance! New vettes are running in the 11s/low 12s depending which one you buy.

Crazy to see how emissions killed performance for a long while. Our parents generation were building backyard 12 second cars and now we get excited about breaking into the 13s.

Good to see guys going to turbo v8s. The phrase of the early 2000s of "boost - a replacement for displacement" is such BS. Boost complements displacement

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Regular mini coopers, Miata's, every Lexus convertible, Beetles, Ford Expeditions...
    Not sure when 2 series became "boy cars" LOL

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by J-hop
    The LT1 corvette isn't a fast car by today's standards man. Not to mention that car is 2 years away from being able to get classic car insurance! New vettes are running in the 11s/low 12s depending which one you buy.

Crazy to see how emissions killed performance for a long while. Our parents generation were building backyard 12 second cars and now we get excited about breaking into the 13s.

Good to see guys going to turbo v8s. The phrase of the early 2000s of "boost - a replacement for displacement" is such BS. Boost complements displacement
    If I told you in 1994 that my accord could give your 6 speed LT1 corvette a good race you'd never believe it. You're kinda missing what I'm getting at. We have camrys, accords, golfs that are as fast or faster than some of the top dog V8 muscle cars were 20 years ago. Now that is progression!

I'm not too thrilled about this move to forced induction across the board. I think it's great for people who don't keep cars out of warranty though and just want something quick.

They went forced induction back in the early 80s for production vehicles. I'm assuming it was cut because most people don't maintain their vehicle and would run problems that cost way too much to repair.

Doesn't the BMW 335 motor have issues a few years down the road with carbon build up? Now guys are working on a way to clean that up cost effectively?

Guess we do run a more, use and dispose society now.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast