Quantcast
boy cars are quick - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: boy cars are quick

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Jonathanl10
    But wait, it's Beyond and therefore everyone circlejerks over their AMG and how 'quick' is defined as 3 seconds... Which 90% of people on this planet don't have the benefit of.
    I agree. Fastest car I've owned was in the 4.5 second range for 0-60. That was more than fast enough for a street car (for me.) Once you get into the 3 second range, I can't see how you could enjoy that power on the street without losing your licence. It would be awesome to enjoy that kind of acceleration if our speed limits weren't so neutered. No 3 pedals = no care.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by J-hop
    Everyone wants new is the problem. No one wants a 94 vette when they can get a new accord 6-6

Out of curiosity how many people here don't have a car younger than 10 years old? I'm guessing almost no one but me (ok my youngest car is 9 years old if I'm honest)

How many people actually wrench on their own cars? Probably more but I bet a lot less on here than you'd think.
    daily turns 10 years old in just a couple months

weekend car turns 30 next year. I wrench on it. feels good to work on a car again

classics have always been more interesting than new cars and that is more true now than ever

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I agree. Fastest car I've owned was in the 4.5 second range for 0-60. That was more than fast enough for a street car (for me.) Once you get into the 3 second range, I can't see how you could enjoy that power on the street without losing your licence. It would be awesome to enjoy that kind of acceleration if our speed limits weren't so neutered. No 3 pedals = no care.
    It's easy...you just don't have to drive like a douchebag all of the time. My last car could do 0-60 in about 2.7-2.8 seconds based on the logs. But it's not like you're trying to do that at every light. And for me, with lots of power comes more mellow driving...I know what the car can do so there's no need to drive it flat out all of the time. Not to say that "spirited" driving didn't occur in certain circumstances.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by never
    It's easy...you just don't have to drive like a douchebag all of the time. My last car could do 0-60 in about 2.7-2.8 seconds based on the logs. But it's not like you're trying to do that at every light. And for me, with lots of power comes more mellow driving...I know what the car can do so there's no need to drive it flat out all of the time. Not to say that "spirited" driving didn't occur in certain circumstances.
    I guess it depends on the car and whether or not it's a rocket stock with good street ability or heavily modified with aggressive gearing and poor street ability. It's like anything else, once you become accustomed to the power it loses that initial buzz. Truth be told, I hardly ever lit up the tires in the camaro because it was red and loud..too much of a heat score already. So I agree with you on that. I wasn't too worried about beating some dude in his Cobalt LT.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Originally posted by b_t

daily turns 10 years old in just a couple months

weekend car turns 30 next year. I wrench on it. feels good to work on a car again

classics have always been more interesting than new cars and that is more true now than ever
    It's weird because my daily is a 2006 and I don't think of it as being that old. But in the 90s, having a car from the 80s felt ancient!

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I guess it depends on the car and whether or not it's a rocket stock with good street ability or heavily modified with aggressive gearing and poor street ability. It's like anything else, once you become accustomed to the power it loses that initial buzz. Truth be told, I hardly ever lit up the tires in the camaro because it was red and loud..too much of a heat score already. So I agree with you on that. I wasn't too worried about beating some dude in his Cobalt LT.
    That's the cool thing about newer performance cars like the Cadillac I had...it was that fast with some minor mods, was comfy as a daily, it went on a 4000 km road trip without any problems, cornered well, and had all of the creature comforts. No real sacrifices there.

When I was at the drag strip all of the time in the 90s, fast street legal cars were running 9s and 10s...and they generally weren't very streetable. A 12 second regular driving streetcar was fast. Now at a Castrol street legal, you see luxury sedans running 10s or 11s on back-to-back passes and 12 second passes are so common that no one really cares. It is really impressive how much quicker everything is these days.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

15 years later, Honda fanboys are still so defensive.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

It's weird because my daily is a 2006 and I don't think of it as being that old. But in the 90s, having a car from the 80s felt ancient!
    It's also relative to age and what your friends are driving.

i.e. High school days - Rich friends all have brand new cars and you're in a 10 year old "clunker"

Also if you think about it, if 20 year old today drives a 1998 accord, that's driving a vehicle almost the same age as the driver. Whereas a 40 year old driving a 1998 accord, that might've been the first car they bought when they got a job!

I also think it has to do with aging in general, that when you're 18 you're keeping up constantly with new models coming out thinking "that car is 3 years old", whereas nowadays you're barely looking at "oh that was 3 generations ago"
    Last edited by jwslam; 05-10-2017 at 10:18 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    15 years later, Honda fanboys are still so defensive.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I find I still use my right foot a lot... mostly due to traffic patterns in this fucking city, if I punch it just right, and weaved myself to the front of the line before it turned red then I have a 60% chance of actually making the next light
    Last edited by ercchry; 05-10-2017 at 10:34 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

That's the cool thing about newer performance cars like the Cadillac I had...it was that fast with some minor mods, was comfy as a daily, it went on a 4000 km road trip without any problems, cornered well, and had all of the creature comforts. No real sacrifices there.

When I was at the drag strip all of the time in the 90s, fast street legal cars were running 9s and 10s...and they generally weren't very streetable. A 12 second regular driving streetcar was fast. Now at a Castrol street legal, you see luxury sedans running 10s or 11s on back-to-back passes and 12 second passes are so common that no one really cares. It is really impressive how much quicker everything is these days.
    True that man! Zero sacrifices with a V except for maybe fuel economy. But I think they have a pretty decent fuel capacity for a road trip.

I do agree. 400 hp used to be a lot. Now the envelope has been pushed so far that people barely pay attention unless you're making close to 1000. Where do we go from here?

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

True that man! Zero sacrifices with a V except for maybe fuel economy. But I think they have a pretty decent fuel capacity for a road trip.

I do agree. 400 hp used to be a lot. Now the envelope has been pushed so far that people barely pay attention unless you're making close to 1000. Where do we go from here?
    electrics with 1,500lb-ft of torque from 0rpm

enjoy combustion engines while they last. I got a rotary so I can burn more gas and oil in the next 5 years than I've done in the last 15. Gotta go out with a bang yknow

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by b_t
    electrics with 1,500lb-ft of torque from 0rpm

enjoy combustion engines while they last. I got a rotary so I can burn more gas and oil in the next 5 years than I've done in the last 15. Gotta go out with a bang yknow
    Yep. Sad reality. Especially for those of us who don't care about efficiency as much as having a car that makes noise.

I just pray that we can continue to purchase gas for many years.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ercchry
    I find I still use my right foot a lot... mostly due to traffic patterns in this fucking city, if I punch it just right, and weaved myself to the front of the line before it turned red then I have a 60% chance of actually making the next light
    haha no doubt. This is also where having tons of hp and AWD has clear advantages. That 60% chance increases significantly if you have over 400hp at your disposal.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Oh man, going down 6ave from Macleod to Bow Tr. can take 4 minutes or 15 minutes depending on lights, and god help you if you get stuck at 9st waiting for Ctrains to pass.

My Ride
    G37X

haha no doubt. This is also where having tons of hp and AWD has clear advantages. That 60% chance increases significantly if you have over 400hp at your disposal.
    If we didn't have so many tard drivers and 7 months of winter, a sport touring bike would be on my menu. The sheer size of a car makes it tough to get around all of the drones regardless of grip and hp.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sentry
    Oh man, going down 6ave from Macleod to Bow Tr. can take 4 minutes or 15 minutes depending on lights, and god help you if you get stuck at 9st waiting for Ctrains to pass.
    The 4 car trains aren't helping. If a 4 car train gets stuck turning onto 7th Ave or has to wait to get across 5th Ave, the 4th car blocks 6th Ave for minutes at a time. I see that shit every single day.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:51 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I guess the Tessa doesn't have this problem...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/motor...ated-on-a-car/

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I guess my modest 4.4 0-60 only gets me 60%

Or the south end of town requires 500hp+

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast