Quantcast
Drayton Valley ditches photo radar - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Drayton Valley ditches photo radar

Default Drayton Valley ditches photo radar

Interesting development in Drayton Valley as they've ditched the use of photo radar in their community - link. It would be interesting to see the various effects this has in a year's time not only with respect to how much speeding is still a problem but also all the downstream effects as noted in the news article.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote from the article..

It will be a while yet until the impact of Drayton Valley’s decision can be measured in terms of public safety but anecdotally, McLean said he already believes drivers are speeding more since it stopped using the cameras.

“Speed in the community was a problem.”

How can anyone actually know that people are speeding more and by what degree was speeding in the community a problem. Sounds like this Mayor is looking for some facet time and got it.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by firebane
    How can anyone actually know that people are speeding more and by what degree was speeding in the community a problem. Sounds like this Mayor is looking for some facet time and got it.
    They can't, he just misses the funding already and is a moron.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bicycle

The funny part is Mason was on EyeOpener yesterday talking about this. When being ask how much is the Province's cut is and he doesn't know and the producer dug it up in 5s of googling and he got all pissy about it.

And for this Mayor, that's a huge chunk of fines and it probably was collected from people outside of his town, that's why he misses it. I can't see how a 5000 people town can generate $260K of fines.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I'm open to discussion on this and get that my opinion might not be accepted being on a car forum - but here goes my thoughts:

Interesting. Lets say the people are right in calling it a 'cash cow' (I still think it has an effect on speeders but that's just my own experience and opinion). But lets theoretically go with the 'public opinion'. Now what?

The public will continue to complain about speeders. Crashes and severity will continue to be linked to excessive speeding. So how do they suggest fixing the problem? Just ignore it and continue to see speed related crashes? Throw more cops & sheriffs on the road?

Last I checked, that just pisses people off even more now that its not only the fine but demerits associated (aka insurance rate rise).

IMO the real issue is that people don't want to be accountable for their actions. They want action from the government on laws they care about ("my kids play near the street", "i lost a friend to fatal crash", etc), but are the first to complain when they are the ones caught breaking those laws.
    Last edited by OTown; 05-14-2017 at 10:45 PM.

My Ride

I always marvel at the voodoo that let's me drive 80 or 85 mph without risking anyone's "safety" when I go to Montana.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by OTown
    I'm open to discussion on this and get that my opinion might not be accepted being on a car forum - but here goes my thoughts:

Interesting. Lets say the people are right in calling it a 'cash cow' (I still think it has an effect on speeders but that's just my own experience and opinion). But lets theoretically go with the 'public opinion'. Now what?

The public will continue to complain about speeders. Crashes and severity will continue to be linked to excessive speeding. So how do they suggest fixing the problem? Just ignore it and continue to see speed related crashes? Throw more cops & sheriffs on the road?

Last I checked, that just pisses people off even more now that its not only the fine but demerits associated (aka insurance rate rise).

IMO the real issue is that people don't want to be accountable for their actions. They want action from the government on laws they care about ("my kids play near the street", "i lost a friend to fatal crash", etc), but are the first to complain when they are the ones caught breaking those laws.
    I am 100% all for increasing the safety on our roads.

However, photo radar is nothing but a cash cow. Full stop.

If it was about safety, they would hire additional traffic cops to patrol high-risk areas (other areas too), in both marked and unmarked vehicles, using radar, laser, pacing, whatever.

Give them a quota per day. The ticket revenue they would generate would more than pay for their salary and expenses, and being a visible deterrent, would have the desired effect of slowing traffic.

As it sits with photo radar, I personally do 120kph on Deerfoot pretty much any time traffic lets me. I see the photoradar equipped Ford Escapes and F150s well in advance sitting on the side of Deerfoot under overpasses with their hazzard lights on. I slow down to 100kph for that 250 meters, and then immediately back up to 120. Did that make Deerfoot more safe? no.

Photoradar has not caught 1 drunk driver.
    Photoradar has not caught 1 person with a warrant
    Photoradar does not have demerits, so it does not assist in removing dangerous drivers
    Photoradar is not staffed by CPS, but rather a contractor (so i understand)
    Photoradar has not caught any illegal activities (other than speeding)
    Photoradar in many instances has the opposite effect by causing rapid breaking and causing accidents

The ONLY thing that photoradar is good for is generating revenue, and those one the receiving end of the revenue would have you believe it is for safety and that they can't spare the officers. Complete bullshit.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Speeding keeps drivers alert, being complicit causes laziness, lack of attention, and wandering minds which leads to distractions. ban slowpokes and left lane bandits!

My problem is that love or hate it, photo radar is raking in the money for municipalities (hell, I contribute several hundred dollars a year myself, lol). If that suddenly goes away, where & how will they cost recover? I assume the same way they make up all their other shortfalls – By jacking property taxes… So I’m stuck paying either way.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I prefer these voluntary taxes to other forms of revenue generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Pauly Boy
    My problem is that love or hate it, photo radar is raking in the money for municipalities (hell, I contribute several hundred dollars a year myself, lol). If that suddenly goes away, where & how will they cost recover? I assume the same way they make up all their other shortfalls – By jacking property taxes… So I’m stuck paying either way.
    Why does the answer always have to be more, more, more?

My Ride

Originally posted by Feruk

Why does the answer always have to be more, more, more?
    Because as a society we've been complicit in allowing it to happen for 2 generations and now it's an out of control taxation train from every level of Government?
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

I think in med hat its about 5mill a year for speeding that goes to the city. It's doesn't go straight to the cops.
    1990 Poonstang
    1990 Sexplorer
    1967 Chevelle Panty Dropper
    2003 GMC SLE 1500HD Donkey Hauler
    2013 Ram Longhorn w/ a 6" lift and 35s
    2017 Nissan Maxima

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Because as a society we've been complicit in allowing it to happen for 2 generations and now it's an out of control taxation train from every level of Government?
    Exactly. We have a current mayor that's hailed by many as the greatest mayor ever that's really done nothing but raise taxes year over year as property taxes have skyrocketed. His answer to everything is to raise taxes. Hasn't done shit to help economical development in this city as it's the same old dependence on O&G as it has always been. When you factor in the petty twitter disputes, condescending "math is hard" comments, etc I'm kind of surprised he's not being run out of town. Instead this city appears fully willing to accept his man child act and nothing but annual tax increases for another term.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

The Octobor 2005 AB Law: "Motorists_must_slow_to_60_kilometres_per_hour,_or less_if_the_posted_speed_is_lower,_when_passing
    emergency_vehicles_or_tow_trucks_stopped_with_their_lights_flashing"
    https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...83FC1CDBA00788

So when you see the Police Photo radar vehicle on Deerfoot Flash what do you do?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

its not police, or any emergency service for that matter
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.