Quantcast
NASCAR news/updates - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: NASCAR news/updates

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

One thing though that we all already know, the lack of complicated downforce and wide ass tracks makes racing a whole lot closer. Not as close as I expected, thought drafting would be much bigger but maybe I just dunno the teams and relative performance well enough.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Drafting on this track layout really didn't come into play, at higher speeds a driver can move someone out of the way without even touching them or slow a car that is just ahead of them strictly through aerodynamics and playing with the air.

Now as far as stage racing and the chase/playoffs, well I've been watching motorsports for quite a long time now. Early on when I was a kid it was Formula 1 because that was pretty much all that was televised way back when dinosaurs vwill still walking the earth. But in the 70's I got into NASCAR for whatever reason and have followed it fairly closely since then. Now when NASCAR decided to change everything up and bring in a playoff format (the chase), I honestly thought it was the dumbest idea ever but it did not take me long to realize that it was a good way to provide some incentive to drivers to actually focus more on winning races as opposed to just putting together a season of good finishes and possibly taking the season's title with no victories under your belt and NASCAR almost had this exact scenario play out.

But even with the chase in place, many drivers would still fall to the back of the pack to try to avoid the carnage the would inevitably happen on the longer tracks and in the last 30 or so laps they would move their way to the front in an attempt to win the race which they often did. Quite boring for fans to watch great drivers putz around at the back of the field for most of the race.

So the stage racing was brought in which effectively awarded playoff points for winning segments of the race (stages) and to gain an advantage in the playoffs meant you now had to remain at the front for the whole race. At first I was confused as hell about it but stage racing has brought so much strategy into the sport that was never there before and it is great to effectively see three or four races within one race.

Martin Truex really jeopardized his position moving forward with his last lap antics as he probably gave up 11 or so points and those 11 points could now loom very large going forward. And when you got guys like Almendinger, who is looking for a ride next year, well he really isn't about to move over for anyone because he is only worried about his own future and damn if he's going to give Truex or anyone else a break - that was quite evident in this race.

So stage points combined with keeping an eye on the bigger picture are very important - both Truex and Johnson shit the bed on this at the end of this race and unfortunately for Johnson, well he's not racing for much of anything any more this season other than breaking his 52 race winless streak. Larson, he figured it out - he somehow got his sorry ass wrecked car across the finish line before Earnhardt, that single point kept him in the chase, that is keeping an eye on the bigger picture.

SKR, please feel free to correct me or add in as necessary.
    Last edited by speedog; 10-01-2018 at 01:38 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

All looks good to me. I haven't been a NASCAR fan in recent years, but stages are one gimmick I actually like.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

One thing I forgot to mention, I thought it was quite a thrill watching the battle between Bowman, Blaney and Bowyer late in the race. You had Bowman leading those three cars and running for his life, as he needed 2 or so cars between him and them to advance. And you had Blaney and Bowyer following, because all they had to do was keep him in sight and match his moves. It had to have been like a horror movie for Bowman where he just runs and runs and no matter what he does, when he looks in the mirror Blaney and Bowyer are still there. I felt like that was as good as anything else that happened that day.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Rubbin' is racing, Martinsville style...

https://youtu.be/OIBzl4HYuIE
    Last edited by speedog; 10-29-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Bowyer's current lid...

Name:  C1478M1HELMET-2.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  50.9 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

Going to my first ever race in March. Not a huge fan or anything but I’m really looking forward to the experience!

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Holy shit, what did they change in the package this year? It has screwed the Daytona racing up big time. Both the he Clash and the Duels sucked.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going to my first ever race in March. Not a huge fan or anything but I’m really looking forward to the experience!
    I have been twice and although I think it's silly there's still some incredibly cool things about it. When they drop the green after a caution... Damn! There's nothing like that anywhere.
    Ear plugs and frozen towels. Repeat. Ear plugs and frozen towels.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mikestypes View Post
    Holy shit, what did they change in the package this year? It has screwed the Daytona racing up big time. Both the he Clash and the Duels sucked.
    I hope with all 40 cars on the track at once it'll force two lines to work. I don't want to watch a parade. On the other hand, if it removes the chance of a wreck that takes out half the field, I think I'm for it.

Trucks tonight. Looking forward to that. I find the trucks a lot more entertaining sometimes.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Ummm, yes it's a unique wrap but it's just wrong. I guess for Old Spice, Lajoie's sponsor, it will make their car stand out.

Name:  oldspice.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  103.0 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    I hope with all 40 cars on the track at once it'll force two lines to work. I don't want to watch a parade. On the other hand, if it removes the chance of a wreck that takes out half the field, I think I'm for it.

Trucks tonight. Looking forward to that. I find the trucks a lot more entertaining sometimes.
    The duels and the Clash had no stages and are not point races - the 500 will have stages and points awarded for stage finishes so strategies will be much different because running 15th in a single line will not gain you anything in the stages and stage points are quite important if you make the playoffs.
    Will fuck off, again.

The Supra is in the Xfinity series...

Name:  toyota_xfinity_supra_20.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  124.9 KB
    Last edited by speedog; 02-16-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    The duels and the Clash had no stages and are not point races - the 500 will have stages and points awarded for stage finishes so strategies will be much different because running 15th in a single line will not gain you anything in the stages and stage points are quite important if you make the playoffs.
    I don't know, the Xfinity race was a parade today. I don't have very high hopes for the 500.

A late caution would change things. I'm really surprised NASCAR didn't throw one today when that one car got into the wall with 2 or 3 laps to go or whatever it was, just to engineer a better finish.

The trucks were pretty entertaining, except only 10 trucks were running at the end.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

7th place car, points are very important...

Name:  mli4ppz1vch21.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  110.0 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

Atlanta this weekend and the debut of the new super speedway package - 8 inch spoiler on the back with the top two inches being transparent so the drivers can see behind them with their rear view mirror. That's a huge spoiler compared to what they ran at Daytone above...

Name:  kyle-larson2-780x520.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  68.0 KB

Also, most teams have been playing around with the springs that keep the roof flaps down, putting in weaker springs that allow them to raise up at speed which gets more downforce happening. NASCAR has not done anything yet but is aware of what's going on.
    Last edited by speedog; 02-23-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Atlanta hasn't been repaved since 1997, 22 years is kind of tough on tires - can't imagine how sketchy things feel at 160-180MPH on badly worn tires...

Name:  GettyImages-1126950073-335x520.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  44.8 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

So NASCAR goes and makes rule changes to get the cars slower at Talladega as most were going over 200mph. The changes only made them faster though with some speeds at 208mph. So now they've added a wicker to the already tall spoiler which has not significantly slowed them down but has made them a whole lot more unstable. Pics below of the spoiler, so tall they had to add a clear section so drivers could use their rear view mirror

Then they had to add metal tabs at the sides because the clear section couldn't withstand the speeds on it's own. The third picture shows the wicker which will only restrict the driver's rearward view and which looks dumb as hell IMO.

Name:  IMG_6869-693x520.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  50.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_7001-693x520.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  51.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6995-693x520.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  55.6 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

Keselowski getting it done in the pits, you couldn't ask for a bad pit stop to look more amazing than that...

Will fuck off, again.

A lot of rumours out there recently of Andretti Racing and Richard Petty Motorsports forming an alliance and bringing Honda to NASCAR. NASCAR has been meeting with Honda so there might be some substance to these rumours.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast