Quantcast
How Much $$$$ to Retire at 35? - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: How Much $$$$ to Retire at 35?

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by rx7boi

You might be the most humble Beyonder in the history of Beyond lol.

Ninja baller. How many secret restaurants and porsches ya got now?!

I always come out as low to medium risk based on those questions, but when I review my funds I am never happy with the ROI that I'm getting.

Overall, I would say I am pretty risk averse but I do want something that is more aggressive and high risk. I won't put all my money into it but I'd rather risk some money and make 20%, lose 10% rather than cruise along making barely 3% a year
    I use to think like that too but I think the winning aspect of all this is just being patient. Slow and steady does win the race. How do I know? I just look at my track record trying to trade over the past 12 years vs just letting it sit, collecting 3-5-7% and letting it compound haha

A lot of good points from everyone. What is it you want out of life? How much does that life cost? Well, that's what you gotta do.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

That's why I like having the majority of my investments in a long term conservative strategy, making use of the power of compound interest.

TFSA is perfect for more aggressive investing. The contribution limit in itself controls the amount of money you can invest (and potentially lose), while tax exemptions on capital gains allows you to make the most out of huge payoffs with no penalty.

Very much agree on long term investing, particularly real estate/land, and the TFSA advice as well.

I never got into shorter term or higher risk investing, in fact the only thing I've invested a significant amount in re short term was very recent, as I had a bit of Bitcoin that I made a decent profit in when it hit 4 digits not long ago, and I plowed a lot of that back into it (more like just left it in BC), and now it's nearly tripled in a very short term investment which was already very profitable at $1000 valuation. I've cashed that out for the most part, might be a huge mistake if BC hits 10 grand this year, but I have concerns about that and decided not to beat myself up if it does, and be VERY happy with how fortunate I've been with this result. I just don't have the knowledge or expertise to invest in the markets and play games daily, and don't plan on learning. I'm happy with what I've got, I don't need more, although if little bonuses like the BC thing come along in the future, I sure don't mind, but I'm unwilling to risk anything substantial of what I have in order to do so.

I was very fortunate to build my first home when prices were around $140k for a 1300ish sq ft starter, and buy a larger home in an established area right before the big boom in the mid 2000s. I was also lucky to be getting paid large sums of USD per day on training contracts when the CDN dollar was at very low value, making 1000 to 1500$ USD per day in the early contracting days nearly $2300 CDN or more. This gave me the capital to buy real estate in the first place, and it truly was nothing more than good fortune and timing, even though putting $ into long term/real estate was a deliberate choice I made.

I could have went another way, and I'd be among the "baller" team. A good friend and co worker started his own private military/security company in Canada, and I could have put my $ into that instead of a couple of homes. I didn't. He now owns one of the largest PMCs in the world, and at one point had the largest company from any country with nearly 10,000 workers in Afghanistan alone under his banner. A clear example of no risk no reward, as it could have very easily gone another direction.

I firmly believe those "ballers" that put the time into education, on the job skills giving experience in their fields, and hard work, deserve everything they have. I also think that what drives many of these people makes retiring at 35 very unlikely. Again, what they want out of life is different IMO than a sub 40 retirement plan is all about.

It's not a bad life, even if I hadn't gotten sick, I think I would be content with the position I'm in now, had I chosen to stop working, or at least focusing on full time work.

Lots of opportunity with the tech out there today in terms of post retirement at home work and projects. I have a friend that has been published for just under a year on the Kindle Direct Publishing "self publishing" platform, mostly short stories and novellas. He's written 20, most of which anyone here would declare "crap", yet they sell, nearly 70% to a female audience. His last check from Amazon/Kindle was for nearly 30 thousand USD, and that was a single 60 day period. He writes for 4 hours a day, max.

I dont mind risk one bit, but it has to be calculated risk. If I feel the odds are in my favour I'm fine with risky ventures.

I'm very against dice rolls and randomly picking investments. I'm even more against investing based on faith/hope that it will do something without any logic behind that view. I wont generally go in on other people's recommendations either unless I understand why they think it'll go up, or they have a proven track record of making good picks.

I also feel diversifying is for protecting something you can't afford to lose. I'm fine with going all-in on one stock if it's a no brainer to me with say my tfsa, or rrsp, but where most of my equity is (real estate) i'm not doing anything super risky there. I feel if you are truly, absolutely, positively, sure you are making a correct choice, and you are not going to jump out a window if you make a false step, then there is logic to not diversifying. Your upside potential is much better doing that then if you are focusing on dividing your money up among 20 picks that you are not as sure of and can't monitor well.

I feel when people are young they should be going to maximum growth investments. 'safe' and conservative stuff is for when you have 5-10 years until retirement and already have a tidy amount sitting there.

....And of course compound interest is powerful, but long or short term investments are irrelevant. Compound interest is extremely powerful for short term investments as well.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Your not retired? I would of never guessed from your lifestyle

I read some of the thread, but ya investing in 1 stock is pretty silly IMO..

You don't need 150k + Years going to be alive to be retired, you need money to work for you aka investments..

Go pick up some bitcoin!!! you know I'm madly into them or go buy some ETH/XRP and just hold.... even if you invest equal amounts in all 3 and 1 crashes and fails your going to have a way higher ROI than investing in a TFSA...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Originally posted by ercchry
    You're impossible... I'm done, do what you want... hoard gold bricks... tax free gains, physical asset... can trade for bread after the apocalypse
    I can imagine that Telsa 2170 or Chinas 18650 Lithium batteries may become the new gold.

If you look at what has been going up in demand over the decades, no economist really seems to have looked at the AA and AAA battery. I mean, a quality non-rechargeable retail AAA battery is $1. A quality nickel AAA rechargeable is $4.

Portable electric power has gone up in value insanely in the last couple decades. "Portable" which may soon include the electric car.

Odd Factoid: Modern billion dollar satellites tend to still use Nickel-Cadmium batteries for durability (temperature and stress)
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-29-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Kobe
    Your not retired? I would of never guessed from your lifestyle
    Semi-retired, but still too busy / stressed with part-time work and not enough time for my hobbies; I'm trying to plan for the full retirement buffet ASAP.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I always come out as low to medium risk based on those questions, but when I review my funds I am never happy with the ROI that I'm getting.

Overall, I would say I am pretty risk averse but I do want something that is more aggressive and high risk. I won't put all my money into it but I'd rather risk some money and make 20%, lose 10% rather than cruise along making barely 3% a year
    If you're not happy with your investments, talk to your advisor or find a better one who might pick up a more accurate, customized profile for you.

Most blue chip stocks are pretty much what you've described to a T in terms of performance (if you were to buy a year ago today). All my blue chip stocks are performing at an average 25% gain at this time, year-over-year. None of them are in the red.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11