Quantcast
Nissan's VQ engine. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nissan's VQ engine.

My Ride
    09 WRX

Default Nissan's VQ engine.

Hello Beyonders. As a man with very little experience with Nissan and vehicles in general I'm looking for some feedback regarding Nissans VQ35 line of engines.
    I'm looking at an Altima from 08/09 with that particular motor, google searches don't return much from that vintage though.
    I've learned that timing belts are bad, chains which the Nissan uses are good. However Nissan used to have an issue with the sprockets that hold the chain in place being made from cheap plastic and breaking. This was a pricey fix. I can only find instances of this happening up to 2006 or so, would my engine be safe from this kind of thing?
    Also I've been seeing people posting about Nissans catalytic converters burning something and leaving particles in the actual Cat to be sucked back into the engine. Again I've got little to no practical experience so I don't know if that even makes sense, what vintage of vq35 did that, or how to remedy/protect my engine.
    Anyone have any experience with the 3.5 Altima they're willing to share?
    Last edited by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN; 05-16-2017 at 10:04 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

One of the best engines ever made they are pretty much bulletproof Just make sure you get It mated to the 6 speed.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Not good with engine work so I can't help you on that......but why do you want an Altima? Just curious, if you're after performance, Altimas are

I might be selling my 2009 G37X sedan soon PM me if interested (not a manual, though, but not a CVT, pretty decent 7 speed auto, same one they use in the 370Z)
    Last edited by Sonic; 05-16-2017 at 08:44 PM.

My Ride
    09 WRX

Yeah. I tested a 6 speed first and a cvt today. You wouldn't guess the cvt was a v6 its so slow.
    The 6 speed on the other hand has just the right amount of kick its. Fantastic.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I have the same VQ variant engine in my 2002 Pathfinder. Bought used when it was 72K on it back in 05. Currently has 198K on it now. Its been rock solid. Awesome engine. Reliable, great power from it. Still smooth and quiet to this day. I know different layout than your Altima but still the same engine.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for why altima? Get an Infiniti if you're going to do that, they depreciate like crazy, which means they can definitely be had for cheap. Aside from being a nicer looking car thats appointed nicer as well, rwd/awd is so much better than fwd.

As far as issues go, the VQ35DE that was in 05/06 G35s (commonly called VQ35DE rev-up) had oil consumption issues that were common, I would steer clear of anything with that engine in it (which IIRC is only G35 and 350Z of those years).

VQ35HR is the best 3.5, and that one was in the 07/08 G35 sedan; VQ37 obviously better, cause it's slightly more powerful - that's the one you'll get if you buy Sonic's G37 haha.

My Ride
    09 WRX

Price difference is significant enough that aside from Altima being FWD, there's enough pedigree in the Altima coupe that I'll take those savings over spending more for a similar but more expensive vehicle.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

I got lucky with my G37X, bought it a year ago for 11, it had 174,000km on it, now has 193,000, came with Stillen exhaust and Takeda short ram intakes, gray with black leather...

I can tell you right now you can't even compare a 3.5 Altima versus a G.

The G's are basically just 350Z/370Z's with 4 doors.

If price is too high, I would HIGHLY recommend looking for the 2008 G sedans...my car, 2009, is the first year with the 3.7 V6 but the 2008 was the first year of the complete redesign, but with the same 3.5 V6, 2010 came the facelifts. You could get one for around 8, I believe a Beyonder just sold his on here (I think his username is Brad something), last I seen, it was listed at $8500...even cheaper I'd go with the first gen G's.
    Last edited by Sonic; 05-16-2017 at 10:04 PM.

My Ride
    09 WRX

Could I afford to spend a little more? Yes.
    Do I want to? Not really.
    I'd bet Most g35s are gonna be beat on pretty badly too.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
    Could I afford to spend a little more? Yes.
    Do I want to? Not really.
    I'd bet Most g35s are gonna be beat on pretty badly too.
    Not true man...depends where you're looking. Lots of older people buy them, especially the sedans. Just don't contact any ads from the NE LOL

I'd honestly be more weary of Altimas, as they catered to a more economy buyer who couldn't give two shits about basic maintenance.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Sonic; 05-16-2017 at 10:09 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

accord 6-6 bro

My Ride
    G37X

It's not fancy, it's certainly not very efficient but they're generally pretty reliable minus the oil burning years. I don't know your price range, but if you can get into a 2007 G35 it's much nicer. Also worth looking at the Maxima, much nicer car than an Altima for generally not much more money.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    accord 6-6 bro
    agreed, totally underrated...

their numbers are WHP at 1 mile above sea level

My Ride
    '16 Civic

+1 for the Accord. Chances are they'll be phased out with the new gen and on paper, the Accord has everything you want from the Nissan. They also have like a cult following and will retain its value a lot better.

I heard VQ Engines have shit NVH ratings compared to other industry V6s?
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Sonic
    I got lucky with my G37X, bought it a year ago for 11, it had 174,000km on it, now has 193,000, came with Stillen exhaust and Takeda short ram intakes, gray with black leather...

I can tell you right now you can't even compare a 3.5 Altima versus a G.

The G's are basically just 350Z/370Z's with 4 doors.

If price is too high, I would HIGHLY recommend looking for the 2008 G sedans...my car, 2009, is the first year with the 3.7 V6 but the 2008 was the first year of the complete redesign, but with the same 3.5 V6, 2010 came the facelifts. You could get one for around 8, I believe a Beyonder just sold his on here (I think his username is Brad something), last I seen, it was listed at $8500...even cheaper I'd go with the first gen G's.
    I can confirm this, I had a 2007 G35S (first year of the redesign), ended up selling it for under $8k 2 weeks ago (it was also listed on here, but I only had it up for 2 days before it sold).

I definitely caned on it now and then, but did religious maintenance. I'd much rather have a car that's been driven hard and maintained, than one that's been idled to the grocery store and back for ten years... but now I'm derailing.

My Ride
    Audi

My wife currently drives an 09 Altima SE with the vq35de and the cvt (sedan), about 100k on it now. Honestly we just do regular maintenance on it and it's been fine. No real issues with it... however nothing really stands out about it either.

As far as the CVT goes, it really is off the line. Once it gets going I don't find it slow at all with the CVT (granted I'm also an old lazy ass now and don't really care for a manual transmission anymore).

My Ride
    G37X

The Nissan VQ is a very coarse feeling engine. Not rev happy like the 3.5 V6 in a modern Accord. My brother had a VQ40DE in his 05 frontier. It's a great truck engine. I

Agree with Johnathanl10.

Test drive an Accord V6 sedan if you want a 3.5 V6 daily driver. Altimas are pretty cheaply made cars. My mom has a 2016 and the transmission sounds like a gravel truck.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 05-17-2017 at 09:09 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Seriously, I would also recommend an accord over an Altima.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Seriously, I would also recommend an accord over an Altima.
    The problem is the same vintage Accord V6 has VCM issue that foul plugs. There is some ECU update that reduces the occurrence but can't guarantee all owners did that.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Xtrema
    The problem is the same vintage Accord V6 has VCM issue that foul plugs. There is some ECU update that reduces the occurrence but can't guarantee all owners did that.
    Very good point. Go 6-6 then OP , no VCM to worry about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast