Quantcast
steps to wash a black vehicle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: steps to wash a black vehicle

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default steps to wash a black vehicle

ok, so this truck is really the first black vehicle I have ever owned. I heard black was hard to keep clean, and I believe it.

I have been doing wand washes, and for whatever reason, I just can't get the truck clean...

I don't really bother with a pre-soak, I just do 2 laps of the truck with high-pressure soap. The first pass is just a quickish one to get the truck wet and a layer of soap to loosen up everything, with the second pass being a more through and slow job.

I then use the high-pressure rinse and go around slow the first time, and then much quicker the second.

Then comes the wax, I just do a fairly quick pass with that, followed by the spot free rinse.

Now, I am not sure what is going on, but, I don't wipe it down, but instead, drive it about 2kms home to air dry. By the time I get home, I have this "film" or whatever on the sides of the truck, basically, everywhere the truck was most dirty, like the bottom half of the panels, especially right behind the wheels.

I don't know if it residue from the soap or wax, but I think if it were, it would be everywhere on the truck, not just in the before mentioned places. Having said this, I seem to have much more success with the automatic washes as I have not noticed the same kind of residue left behind...So I figure I must be doing something wrong.

On my previous vehicles, I haven't had this issue, or at least, not that I have noticed. Maybe it is just more noticeable because the truck is black.

is there a better way to do this?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    FB6

I use A LOT of pre soak and it seems to work well. At the wand wash for my car, I would probably spend 5 mins on presoak making sure its on every panel and then double or triple back on the really dirty areas. Then 2 mins on high pressure soap. Then 2 mins on rinse. Then a quick walk around ~1 min of high pressure wax then spot free rinse for about 1-2 mins. I usually pay by credit card and this usually comes to about $8-9 for a small car.

The film is probably a layer of dirt and grime that didn't get washed off.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The film is dust, you can't air dry black in this city. It's too dirty.

You have to hand wash it with microfiber, hand dry it with microfiber, and then apply a good coat of legitimate wax, or even better, paint sealant. And do it at least twice a year. That carwash "wax" is terrible by the way, don't ever use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

You need to use a wash media as pressure from water alone won't remove all the dirt and grime. Something like a wool or microfiber wash mitt, pad or sponge or Boar's hair brush. Use a bucket with a grit guard and a Rinseless wash solution. I usually just go to a wand wash and do a quick wash to get rid of most of the dirt and then finish off with spray of Waterless wash for additional cleaning and protection or if I want to be more through, I would use the Bucket method. It's much easier for dirt to show on a black vehicle.

My Ride
    KTM

Are you going to "Top Gear" car wash? I know I have several friends that cant seem to get their black vehicles clean there.

(though it is a good wash)

My Ride
    '18 Murano

The film is probably crappy recycled rinse water. I get the same thing at the few local car washes I go to. on the way out, hit the wipers. the area of the windshield not covered by the wipers looks like crap.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by craigcd
    Are you going to "Top Gear" car wash? I know I have several friends that cant seem to get their black vehicles clean there.

(though it is a good wash)
    Yeah. Pretty much exclusively.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by spikerS

Yeah. Pretty much exclusively.
    Haha, figured. Try a different wash and see if if you get the same result.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...ying/#overview

Good article and road film and contamination can only be moved by properly washing the car.

Also, car wash bays does not have the best soap and water which could cause additional damage to your paintwork and rubber seals over time.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Originally posted by SportEL
    You need to use a wash media as pressure from water alone won't remove all the dirt and grime. Something like a wool or microfiber wash mitt, pad or sponge or Boar's hair brush. Use a bucket with a grit guard and a Rinseless wash solution.
    THIS... You need some seriously high pressure to get that film off, and with pressure that high you are probably doing other damage to your paint. Unfortunately you have to put in a little elbow work and wipe it down with a wash mitt or microfiber towel. But you need to constantly rinse that mitt. I usually wash the whole truck with high pressure soap, then rinse it off, then use the wash mitt, then rinse the vehicle again. after that you should be good and can dry it off with a towel.

You'd be surprised how "dirty" your vehicle is after coming out of the car wash if you arent physically removing the dirt/film and just spraying it.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Another extra step you can take to reduce the chance of marring the paint is to use drying-aid while drying.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Step 1: Lie down
    Step 2: Try not to cry
    Step 3: Cry a lot

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Default Re: steps to wash a black vehicle

Originally posted by spikerS
    ok, so this truck is really the first black vehicle I have ever owned. I heard black was hard to keep clean, and I believe it.

I have been doing wand washes, and for whatever reason, I just can't get the truck clean...

I don't really bother with a pre-soak, I just do 2 laps of the truck with high-pressure soap. The first pass is just a quickish one to get the truck wet and a layer of soap to loosen up everything, with the second pass being a more through and slow job.

I then use the high-pressure rinse and go around slow the first time, and then much quicker the second.

Then comes the wax, I just do a fairly quick pass with that, followed by the spot free rinse.

Now, I am not sure what is going on, but, I don't wipe it down, but instead, drive it about 2kms home to air dry. By the time I get home, I have this "film" or whatever on the sides of the truck, basically, everywhere the truck was most dirty, like the bottom half of the panels, especially right behind the wheels.

I don't know if it residue from the soap or wax, but I think if it were, it would be everywhere on the truck, not just in the before mentioned places. Having said this, I seem to have much more success with the automatic washes as I have not noticed the same kind of residue left behind...So I figure I must be doing something wrong.

On my previous vehicles, I haven't had this issue, or at least, not that I have noticed. Maybe it is just more noticeable because the truck is black.

is there a better way to do this?
    One problem I'm seeing here is not wiping dry. Remember Calgary is very dusty and if your vehicle is wet it attracts more dust and because the vehicle is black..it becomes more noticeable, making it look like your vehicle is not clean.

Wiping dry is needed for black vehicles even if you car had been nano coated. Coated vehicles will make it a bit "cleaner" but not 100%.

Another option you can look at is once you arrived home, use Quick Detailer to help clean it up.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Als, depending on how often you wash your truck and how dirty you let it get before washing. Its almost impossible to have it 100% clean at a touch-less.

Lower panels always attracts the most contamination/dirt/film build-ups.

When you drive your wet car around, dust gets into the "spotless rinse" water and when the water dries on your vehicle, deposits the dust/dirt. If that's your main complaint, just give it a good dry with a waffle microfiber or something right when you're done at the car wash.

Also if you only ever pressure wash it, you probably won't always get everything off - you're going to have to use a physical method at some point.

I'm also guessing the spray-on wax does almost nothing, you could probably save your money there. If it's anything like the the coin wash I go to, everything is so crappy that I can't imagine anything decent is coming out of that nozzle haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-23-2017 at 03:11 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you have the option, I would also look at soap less washes here in Calgary, at your house.

As long as its just water going down the drain the city doesn't really care.

I haven't used a wash bay in years - in the winter I just hose off the worst in my attached garage.

My Ride
    FA20

This happens to me as well (I also go to Top Gear). I don't bother drying it afterwards because I know it's still dirty and drying it will just rub the dirt around and create swirls in the paint. I just go home after the car wash and use the two bucket method with Optimum No Rinse. Gives pretty good results. Bought a clay mitt kit and sealant kit as well from Amazon on sale so I will be able to detail it as well hopefully.

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 09:48 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

I've been driving black cars for about 5 years now. Every time I swear I'm not going to buy another one, and the right deal comes up on a black one

As mentioned a few times, contact and drying are the keys. I don't have the time or patience to hand wash every time, so I only do this a couple times per year, but it's definitely critical to get all the shit off your car.

Drying, I find to give the biggest payoff. Obviously wand wash/hand dry is not the best method, but it's the most bang for your buck (in my experience). As mentioned, this city is super dusty, so as soon as you depart the car wash you need to dry your car, otherwise it's just a dust magnet and you'll have spots/residue everywhere, even if you drive home on side streets.

And like Sentry said. Just cry. Your truck will never be clean. Even when it's clean, it's still not clean. The only time you'll really be happy is when you look at it in the rain, after dark.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Having your car nano coated or with any good nano sealant will definitely help make them easier to clean at wand wash. But again, it all depends on how often vehicles are washed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast