Quantcast
Bike pathway enforcement - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bike pathway enforcement

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Given the most (if any?) bikes don't have speedometers, how does one know if they're speeding or not?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    If your legs can pump out the watts, do it up son.
    Realistically Im good for about 40 kmh on flat, just wondering if the speeds were as same as the cars.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    Given the most (if any?) bikes don't have speedometers, how does one know if they're speeding or not?
    I've been considering that this would be my defense if I was ever nailed for bike speeding (though like others said, I actively slow down when i'm in the riverwalk area).

If I am flagged, I'd plead my case about not having a speedometer and it being difficult to judge my speed on a bike, and then request that the officer radar me as I approach them, raising their hand when I've hit the speed limit so that I then have an accurate frame of reference.

doubt it would work to a peace officer trying to make a quota...but it's worth a try?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've never seen anyone out though our club here in Edmonton warned us we really should get bells as they've been out given $250 tickets for no bell or not using your bell!

I ended up picking up this bell as it fits road bike handlebars for $25 from Pedalhead. It actually has a much more satisfying ring too!

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/02...l-with-the-oi/

Thing is these are all high-pedestrian areas (in Deadmonton and Calgary) where you can't really fly by anyone anyways, or it'd be hard to do so. Pedestrians are really unpredictable so high speeds around them seems pretty dangerous from a bikers' point of view.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Boosted131
    Realistically Im good for about 40 kmh on flat, just wondering if the speeds were as same as the cars.
    So if you're realistically good for 40 on the flats then slowing down for 30 should be easy enough to do and you are most likely intelligent enough to be able to discern that you've slowed down to near 30. Pass any other vehicles though and your ass is grass as that is a complete no no in playground zones.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by msommers
    I've never seen anyone out though our club here in Edmonton warned us we really should get bells as they've been out given $250 tickets for no bell or not using your bell!

I ended up picking up this bell as it fits road bike handlebars for $25 from Pedalhead. It actually has a much more satisfying ring too!

Thing is these are all high-pedestrian areas (in Deadmonton and Calgary) where you can't really fly by anyone anyways, or it'd be hard to do so. Pedestrians are really unpredictable so high speeds around them seems pretty dangerous from a bikers' point of view.
    Man, I couldn't imagine not having a bell. I went riding on a bike without one and I was shocked at how often I relied on it when I was on one of my bikes. I'm constantly using it to let other cyclists, joggers, and pedestrians know I'm coming up from behind.

They were selling those bikes at the Bike to Work day event at Eau Claire a few weeks back. They're really nice looking. I almost bought one, but I didn't really need it.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Man, I couldn't imagine not having a bell. I went riding on a bike without one and I was shocked at how often I relied on it when I was on one of my bikes. I'm constantly using it to let other cyclists, joggers, and pedestrians know I'm coming up from behind.

They were selling those bikes at the Bike to Work day event at Eau Claire a few weeks back. They're really nice looking. I almost bought one, but I didn't really need it.
    I bought those bells for my new bikes, they're so awesome. MEC and The Bike Shop both carry them now.

My Ride

Originally posted by speedog

So if you're realistically good for 40 on the flats then slowing down for 30 should be easy enough to do and you are most likely intelligent enough to be able to discern that you've slowed down to near 30. Pass any other vehicles though and your ass is grass as that is a complete no no in playground zones.
    Yea I have no issue following the 30kmh rules in the playground zone, this was just a question, I wasn't trying to see how much of an ass I can be without getting any tickets haha.

Can anyone recommend a decent horn/bell?
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I've heard of cyclist getting in trouble by speeding on the road. It's not that hard to believe one can get stupidly fast on a downhill. Just use your head, if you need a rule book to stay out of trouble all the time you are doing it wrong.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I mean if youre passing cars in a 30 zone, then yeah I can see a speeding ticket sticking, but otherwise, you have no frame of reference.

Ignorance is not an excuse for Criminal Laws. If I am permitted to use a bicycle on the roads without a way of knowing or comparing how fast I am going, the should be no tickets for this - unless I am blowing past everyone.

My Ride
    Wankels!

I got a thumbs up from police shooting radar while I was bombing down Bow Trail by sarcee at ~60km/hr
    Speed limit is 60 there I think.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Do you happen to know if anyone in Calgary (Pedalhead perhaps) carries these?

edit: just reading reviews. People are saying they're way too quiet. Probably not a good idea seeing as I'm a habitual speeder on pathways.
    Last edited by Penguin_Racecar; 05-31-2017 at 02:11 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
    I got a thumbs up from police shooting radar while I was bombing down Bow Trail by sarcee at ~60km/hr
    Speed limit is 60 there I think.
    My highest speed recorded shows 57km/h going down Erlton hill . The only peace officers I have seen didn't even have radar guns and I was coming up on them at 35km/h
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Bicycle

My route tends to stay away from heavy traffic area. But only time I see them, they were at the north side of Bow between Center and Crowchild.

And I understand why because that section is narrow.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I have one on my MTB, it's slick.
    I would definitely say it's louder and sharper than the common BBB-12 dome-bell that I have on my road bike.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I'll admit I'm kind of an ass to people that don't have/use a bell.

I've almost bailed a couple of times on my commute because people (generally wannabe cyclocrossers) try to pass as I'm about to pass a pedestrian or slow cyclist. So now I ring my bell and then signal I'm passing with a left fist. Any cyclocross loser not making themselves known is going to get a fist to the face and I'm not going to feel bad about it haha.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Hey, this bike bell is really slick and looks nice. It only occupies a small space on the handlebar on a road bike (I still have lots of space for my GPS and light with it). Got one from Calgary Cycle and they still gave me discount for it which is great because I saw them also in Sporting Life at Southcentre and they were $5 less. Still have to try it.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

Do you happen to know if anyone in Calgary (Pedalhead perhaps) carries these?

edit: just reading reviews. People are saying they're way too quiet. Probably not a good idea seeing as I'm a habitual speeder on pathways.
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-4...Bell-Aluminium

My Ride

Does anyone ever pass the peace officers on the pathway? They usually do around 20 km/h, and going by them just seems like I'd be asking for it, but traveling behind them is painful as well.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Try forming a peloton behind them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast