Quantcast
What recent Mid-Size SUV to Buy - $25k - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What recent Mid-Size SUV to Buy - $25k

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    I'd go with the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. Good towing, comfy, solid drivetrain. Don't get the fancy one with air suspension.
    +1

And for a 4 runner under 25k with less than 100k on the ODO...I would be very suspicious of it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Fellas, thanks for all the replies. Here's my comments to each.

Originally posted by relyt92
    That's what I thought about the 4x4, which would rule out the 4runner unless you went with the limited model I think. I don't know about the FX50, but the FX37 is fairly solid with ~330hp. Might be worth a look, they have a pretty nice interior on them too.
    I liked the FX50, it's got jam, but apparently outside of the engine, they aren't suited for towing. The better half, also doesn't love the looks of it.

I'd go with the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. Good towing, comfy, solid drivetrain. Don't get the fancy one with air suspension.
    Yep, agreed. Dodge reliability/depreciation is a concern, but at this re-sale segment, there is some good value to be had. Importantly, she likes the look of them.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

The 2.0t is rated for 4400lbs, great on fuel, and a reliable workhorse

No need to go to the 3.2 and deal with all of the issues that come along with that engine.

Couple of quotes I found on other forums about it:

I could not get behind the poor low end (RPM) torque of the 2.0T
    I know that engine well. My old R (EA113), had 350hp & lb/ft. Yet , it was still weak downlow; -- where I'd be looking for power; especially around the mountains. My new R, while yet to be modded, is weaker downlow than my old R, and it's an EA888.

I found that same snapshot/comment of that guy towing his car, across a few forums, yet very little else that wasn't a tent-trailer. Additionally, the OEM towing package is expensive, if not originally installed. Not ruling it out, but 3.2 is the aim. Plus my favourite VW ever, had a 3.2VR

Originally posted by spikerS

+1

And for a 4 runner under 25k with less than 100k on the ODO...I would be very suspicious of it.
    Yep totally, that's what we're finding.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Stiiiiiiiillll looking.

For the Grand Cherokee; anything to look out for?
    V6 vs V8?

She's added the X5 (E70). Am I right in being afraid of the maintenance?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by cam_wmh
    Stiiiiiiiillll looking.

V6 vs V8?
    STAY AWAY from the Jeep 9 speed transmision... ZF I think. Its brutal with no real fix.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by R-Audi

STAY AWAY from the Jeep 9 speed transmision... ZF I think. Its brutal with no real fix.
    Thanks Mark. Seems that 9 speed transmission, is only found on that ugly looking regular Cherokee.

Going back to this comment, seems to be where we're headed. We're gonna check out a couple Grand Cherokees this week. The Quadra Lift does sound enticing though. Why do you suggest avoiding it?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Going back to this comment, seems to be where we're headed. We're gonna check out a couple Grand Cherokees this week. The Quadra Lift does sound enticing though. Why do you suggest avoiding it?
    It was finicky and seemed to be plagued by problems, getting jammed in the up or down position.

Oddly enough, I'm getting back into one as well as soon as I'm back to work. You can get 2014-2016 models in the $30k range now
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

The QL system is quite complicated, and if it breaks it's really expensive to fix. Most parts for Jeeps are relatively cheap coming from the Dodge parts bin, but that airlift stuff is pricey. It's cool as hell, but unless you reeeeally need it (or only plan to own it under warranty), I'd stick to conventional suspension.

My Ride
    06 GMC Sierra 1500, 04 XC70, 07 Ninja 650R

Stiiiiiiiillll looking.

V6 vs V8?

She's added the X5 (E70). Am I right in being afraid of the maintenance?
    Get her a used Subaru Forester XT. It's pretty quick, built to last, and pretty safe.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get her a used Subaru Forester XT. It's pretty quick, built to last, and pretty safe.
    He seems to be looking for something with some towing capacity so forester is probably out.

I am looking at somewhat similar vehicles, except new. Lease deals will greatly influence my decision, want to be <$600 monthly taxes-in ideally, would put a few grand down on a 36-48 mo lease to get there. sorry for for the but figured I would save everyone from another What To Buy thread... and generate more discussion for the OP anyway. Lease is up on my GTI (which I love) in Oct, here is my situation and what I need:

-Comfortable 3500lb towing capacity
    -A few luxury features and creature comforts. This will be my daily
    -Less than full size (I would gladly buy a full size pickup or large truck based SUV and be done with it but my work and home parking spaces require something "mid sized" or smaller

Here's what I'm looking at:
    -2014+ 4Runner- only used vehicle I am considering. would buy or try taking over a lease but finding it very difficult to find a reasonably priced Trail or Limited in my area (Winnipeg). Fully confident in this vehicle but downside is they feel gutlesss AF to drive

-Q5- love the new interiors, familiar with the VAG product has a reasonable 4400 lb towing capacity. Question is much the same as the OP about the Q5 towing capacity. Does anyone here have any real towing experience near capacity with the Q5?

-Grand Cherokee- really dislike Chrysler products but this vehicle even in base form ticks all the boxes and 0% lease deals. Drove one the other day and didn't mind it

-Land Rover Discovery Sport - decent lease deals, towing capacity, never driven one and no familiarity with Jaguar/LR products. Anyone have any first hand experience, particularly with towing?

If all else fails will buy a '17 Off-Road SB Tacoma but after taxes in MB you are pushing $50k for that vehicle and would prefer not to go there. I've had a Tacoma in the past and the long box was just long enough that it was inconvenient to maneuver in my parkade.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by rizfarmer View Post
    He seems to be looking for something with some towing capacity so forester is probably out.

I am looking at somewhat similar vehicles, except new. Lease deals will greatly influence my decision, want to be <$600 monthly taxes-in ideally, would put a few grand down on a 36-48 mo lease to get there. sorry for for the but figured I would save everyone from another What To Buy thread... and generate more discussion for the OP anyway. Lease is up on my GTI (which I love) in Oct, here is my situation and what I need:

-Comfortable 3500lb towing capacity
    -A few luxury features and creature comforts. This will be my daily
    -Less than full size (I would gladly buy a full size pickup or large truck based SUV and be done with it but my work and home parking spaces require something "mid sized" or smaller

Here's what I'm looking at:
    -2014+ 4Runner- only used vehicle I am considering. would buy or try taking over a lease but finding it very difficult to find a reasonably priced Trail or Limited in my area (Winnipeg). Fully confident in this vehicle but downside is they feel gutlesss AF to drive

-Q5- love the new interiors, familiar with the VAG product has a reasonable 4400 lb towing capacity. Question is much the same as the OP about the Q5 towing capacity. Does anyone here have any real towing experience near capacity with the Q5?

-Grand Cherokee- really dislike Chrysler products but this vehicle even in base form ticks all the boxes and 0% lease deals. Drove one the other day and didn't mind it

-Land Rover Discovery Sport - decent lease deals, towing capacity, never driven one and no familiarity with Jaguar/LR products. Anyone have any first hand experience, particularly with towing?

If all else fails will buy a '17 Off-Road SB Tacoma but after taxes in MB you are pushing $50k for that vehicle and would prefer not to go there. I've had a Tacoma in the past and the long box was just long enough that it was inconvenient to maneuver in my parkade.
    Yup, Forester is out. Need towing capacity, and we're close on a Grand Cherokee Overland. It does have the Quadra Lift too. There are few vehicles, in Chrysler's entire catalogue, that inspire confidence. They've been making the GC for ages, and it's a class leader; so one of their only models I'd concede to that brand. It checks off all the boxes too.

Finding a decent 3.2 Q5, is as daunting a task as finding a reasonably priced, recent low mileage 4Runner.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

For those considering the Q5, & the 2.0T.. This is anecdotal again, but my god is the latest gen 2.0T weak down low; my mk7R
    Granted it's stock, but you're into clutch burning territory, if you want to start in second.

Sticking my neck out here, but if you're towing, I can really only of the 3.0T in the SQ5, or the Ford EcoBoost V6 as FI'd, SUV engines.
    trucks aren't my forte, so potentially missing some

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Just want to throw in my opinion regarding the Grand Cherokee. My father in law has one and has been very loyal to Jeep for the last 8 years, getting a new work Cherokee every two years. This is his fourth, and I've driven them all.

The most recent one (2015) V6, 8sp is actually very pleasant. It's very loaded (the Hemi came in too expensive for the options he wanted).

It can tow decently, we tow his boat with it but it's not super heavy mind you. It's comfortable, gets good fuel economy for being a box. Every refresh Jeep has refined itself.

Now for the caveat: It's a body on frame SUV. Due to this the interior room is less than say a new CR-V.

Example:

Jeep storage in back to seat: 36.9
    CRV to back of seat: 39.2

Seats folded Jeep: 68.3 CRV: 75.8

Above in cubic feet.

Anyway can't go wrong with the Jeep, and seeing how you need towing it'll beat all the Unibody CUVs by quite a bit. Mind you the Pathfinder is now 6000? The 2013+ are 5000lbs.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Just want to throw in my opinion regarding the Grand Cherokee. My father in law has one and has been very loyal to Jeep for the last 8 years, getting a new work Cherokee every two years. This is his fourth, and I've driven them all.

The most recent one (2015) V6, 8sp is actually very pleasant. It's very loaded (the Hemi came in too expensive for the options he wanted).

It can tow decently, we tow his boat with it but it's not super heavy mind you. It's comfortable, gets good fuel economy for being a box. Every refresh Jeep has refined itself.

Now for the caveat: It's a body on frame SUV. Due to this the interior room is less than say a new CR-V.

Example:

Jeep storage in back to seat: 36.9
    CRV to back of seat: 39.2

Seats folded Jeep: 68.3 CRV: 75.8

Above in cubic feet.

Anyway can't go wrong with the Jeep, and seeing how you need towing it'll beat all the Unibody CUVs by quite a bit. Mind you the Pathfinder is now 6000? The 2013+ are 5000lbs.
    Appreciate the feedback. Interior cargo space, is a concession we can make.

What about the V6 RDX (i.e. 2013+)? Should be lots of those around and maintenance is easy and quite reliable. Probably not the most exciting of drives but crosses off many of the boxes.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Euro838 View Post
    What about the V6 RDX (i.e. 2013+)? Should be lots of those around and maintenance is easy and quite reliable. Probably not the most exciting of drives but crosses off many of the boxes.
    LOL. Max towing of 1,500lbs

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

rizfarmer - what do the lease deals look like on a 4Runner? When I bought mine, the used ones were more expensive than buying new. I actually sold my blue trail to a guy from Winnipeg - Daryl Diamond - legendary name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    rizfarmer - what do the lease deals look like on a 4Runner? When I bought mine, the used ones were more expensive than buying new. I actually sold my blue trail to a guy from Winnipeg - Daryl Diamond - legendary name
    Leasing is stupid, like $700/month for a $45K truck. It's one of those trucks that resale well, finance or cash.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

A TDI Q5 would be a nice option if you don't like the 2.0 engine. They are pretty fun to drive with 400+ft/lbs of torque.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    Yes a few years ago, maybe when you bought yours, 4Runners were a relative bargain. Toyota doesn't need help selling them so lease rates are brutal on the 4Runner so you may as well buy it, but a Trail trim is pushing mid 50's in MB

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Leasing is stupid, like $700/month for a $45K truck. It's one of those trucks that resale well, finance or cash.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    36 month lease and finance rate is the same. 48 month the lease is 0.5% more.

As long as you sell your 4runner and not turn it back in at lease end, there won't be much difference in TCO at 36 months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast