Quantcast
What recent Mid-Size SUV to Buy - $25k - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What recent Mid-Size SUV to Buy - $25k

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by rizfarmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes a few years ago, maybe when you bought yours, 4Runners were a relative bargain. Toyota doesn't need help selling them so lease rates are brutal on the 4Runner so you may as well buy it, but a Trail trim is pushing mid 50's in MB
    Wow things have changed. My 2015 Trail leased at $502 taxes in, nothing down. Let me know if you need a contact at an AB Toyota dealer. My brother used to be the regional rep for Toyota Canada out there. FYI, I have a line on a lightly used (<20K kms), Salsa Red Trail in Calgary. It was a demo (my brother's) and now belongs to a friend who is moving on.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    A TDI Q5 would be a nice option if you don't like the 2.0 engine. They are pretty fun to drive with 400+ft/lbs of torque.
    Sadly, they are so hard to find, <$30k & <100km. Nationally, one in Nanaimo, one in Sherbrooke.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Sadly, they are so hard to find, <$30k & <100km. Nationally, one in Nanaimo, one in Sherbrooke.
    Surprised anyone even let that thing go. Buy back program is coming and you are basically driving those for free right now.

http://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/service/3-tdi.html

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    Wow things have changed. My 2015 Trail leased at $502 taxes in, nothing down. Let me know if you need a contact at an AB Toyota dealer. My brother used to be the regional rep for Toyota Canada out there. FYI, I have a line on a lightly used (<20K kms), Salsa Red Trail in Calgary. It was a demo (my brother's) and now belongs to a friend who is moving on.
    I'll pm you
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

+1 for 4th gen 4Runner.

I had a 2005 V8 Limited, bought used in 2010 for $18k with 190,000kms (with rear Air suspension) which never had an issue. Sold it last year for $12k with 260,000 km's and wanted to get a new 5th gen 4Runner but the V6 is as others have said gutless. If you are looking at the V8, watch out for cracked exhaust manifold (can hear ticking noise on start up and under acceleration when engine is cold) dealer charges $1,200 per side to replace, you can go aftermarket for about half. As for V8 power vs V6 power, when the V8 changed to a VVTi engine for 2005 the hp went up to 282 (and was now more than the V6). Also to note, V8 is full time AWD with center diff lock (standard on all 4th gen's V6 or V8) to engage 4WD (and has 4 Lo). With either engine check to make sure the center diff lock engages quickly (4-5 flashes on the dash at most) and without a thud and disengages easily as well (same for 4wd Lo). This part gets neglected and should be exercised monthly if possible as if it ceases/fails its pricey to fix. Check there is no leakage on the seal either after engaging/disengaging (crawl under the vehicle and look where the rear drive shaft meets the transfer case, on the T case itself there is a noticeable area where you can see a sealant ring, no fluid or evidence of fluid should be present). Wheel bearings are also common to fail but are reasonable to replace (you will hear a roaring sound when changing lanes or taking turns at speeds above 30km/h). The final common issue is the XREAS suspension system, all sport and limited models have it and if any 1 shock is showing sign of leakage the system is compromised and needs to be replaced. Factory replacement is upwards of $2k, but your better off ditching the system and going for a set of bilstein shocks (adjustable is possible). Note, if you have the rear air suspension (RAS) you will be very limited with your lift options if you choose to do so. I also suggest looking in to a leveling kit for the front since the 4th gen has quite a bit of factory rake on it and depending on the kit can actually improve the ride a little bit.

If you get one, your first mod should be removing the hydrocarbon filter (hcf), it is free and opens up the throttle a bit. Its located near the airbox in the intake adjacent to the air filter, you will see it when lifting the tube off of the airbox it is dark grey and pops out quite easily with a flathead screwdriver. All it is supposed to do is ensure that any unburned fuel remaining in the engine doesn't escape through the intake to potentially impact environmental testing. I had one in my current GX and ripped it out as well, seat of the pants test tells me the engine is a little more happy and breathing a bit better.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by bh87; 06-14-2017 at 11:13 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bh87 View Post
    +1 for 4th gen 4Runner.
    Note, if you have the rear air suspension (RAS) you will be very limited with your lift options if you choose to do so. I also suggest looking in to a leveling kit for the front since the 4th gen has quite a bit of factory rake on it and depending on the kit can actually improve the ride a little bit.
    There are now several air to coil conversion kits out there... start out at $60usd plus coils. (You can use 4runner/FJ/Tacoma coils) I recently completed this for my GX470.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post

Now for the caveat: It's a body on frame SUV. Due to this the interior room is less than say a new CR-V.
    The Grand Cherokee is not, and never has been, a body-on-frame SUV. It's a unibody.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

There are now several air to coil conversion kits out there... start out at $60usd plus coils. (You can use 4runner/FJ/Tacoma coils) I recently completed this for my GX470.
    Good point, I should have been more clear. If you have the RAS and want to keep it, the lift options are very limited. Main option being to re-calibrate the system to set the standard height as a higher height but only so much lift can be achieved with this.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Anyone have thoughts on the new VW Atlas yet?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Picking up an alltrack tonight, may go check out the atlas for kicks.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Quote Originally Posted by rizfarmer View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the new VW Atlas yet?
    C&D just reviewed one. Poor acceleration and fuel economy compared to the competition. Lots of room inside though...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...on-test-review

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    C&D just reviewed one. Poor acceleration and fuel economy compared to the competition. Lots of room inside though...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...on-test-review
    The SUV for those that won't get what they really need, a Minivan.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    The SUV for those that won't get what they really need, a Minivan.

Know exactly what you mean, can't stand those type of vehicles. We've had an odyssey and it was great, but because it was a van it got so much hate from friends and family that drove superior non-minivan vehicles like Ford Freestyles

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    Picking up an alltrack tonight, may go check out the atlas for kicks.
    If I didn't need some towing capacity alltrack/sportwagen was at the top of my list. Congrats on the pick up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3