Quantcast
Vivint Home Security - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vivint Home Security

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ramifications are Fraud. The onus wouldn't be on them to prove you didn't, it would be on you to prove you did.

Also there is limitation to your insurance policy on what you can claim and the amounts thereof. If you are out of the limits, SOL. If you feel you need additional coverage to supplement the limits, then they will ask you for proof of purchase before granting the policy.

For normal claims, under the policy limit, they rarely care as it is part of their metrics anyways and the assume total loss when calculating your premium.
    They would have to prove you DID commit fraud for you to get charged, you aren't guilty until proven innocent or everyone who made a burglery claim would get a fraud charge when they couldn't show a receipt for grandma's 50yr old wedding band they claimed. You don't need to have proof of every item being replaced, especially if it isn't of extremely high value.

If a house gets broken into and you say you had a $2K watch that you never had, or an iPad you never had, or computer components that you never had, cash in your sock drawer that you never had, etc. how would anyone ever be able to prove you didn't? It's literally impossible.

I raised my contents insurance quite significantly twice, once several years ago and another time about a year ago and was not asked to prove anything so you definitely do not require proof of purchase before raising it.

Like you say though, I don't think they care - I'm sure it's all in the premiums and then some.

- - - Updated - - -

Good hiding places for valuables are places like laundry rooms, storage rooms, the attic, kids rooms, an actual safe, etc. These crack heads looking for a quick buck aren't going to bother with any of those places. Not many people want to dig out their watches/jewelry from an obscure location every morning though so it's easy to see why most people do not do that. A biometric safe in the bedroom is a good idea, and opens in one quick touch. There are lots of floor/wall safes too that are easily hidden and easy to install. Heirloom jewlery should be in a safety deposit box, nobody wears that stuff anyway usually.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-03-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    They would have to prove you DID commit fraud for you to get charged, you aren't guilty until proven innocent or everyone who made a burglery claim would get a fraud charge when they couldn't show a receipt for grandma's 50yr old wedding band they claimed. You don't need to have proof of every item being replaced, especially if it isn't of extremely high value.

If a house gets broken into and you say you had a $2K watch that you never had, or an iPad you never had, or computer components that you never had, cash in your sock drawer that you never had, etc. how would anyone ever be able to prove you didn't? It's literally impossible.

I raised my contents insurance quite significantly twice, once several years ago and another time about a year ago and was not asked to prove anything so you definitely do not require proof of purchase before raising it.

Like you say though, I don't think they care - I'm sure it's all in the premiums and then some.

- - - Updated - - -

Good hiding places for valuables are places like laundry rooms, storage rooms, the attic, kids rooms, an actual safe, etc. These crack heads looking for a quick buck aren't going to bother with any of those places. Not many people want to dig out their watches/jewelry from an obscure location every morning though so it's easy to see why most people do not do that. A biometric safe in the bedroom is a good idea, and opens in one quick touch. There are lots of floor/wall safes too that are easily hidden and easy to install. Heirloom jewlery should be in a safety deposit box, nobody wears that stuff anyway usually.
    I guess i should have elaborated a bit...

For fraud yes, you are right. For a pay-out...hell no. At any time the insurance company can say, show me the proove or we don't pay. I believe its even in the T/C's of your policy.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    I guess i should have elaborated a bit...

For fraud yes, you are right. For a pay-out...hell no. At any time the insurance company can say, show me the proove or we don't pay. I believe its even in the T/C's of your policy.
    Fair enough, but how does anyone get payouts then, or authorization to go and re-buy the items they lost (or "lost")? I would guess not even 1% of people keep good records like receipts, itemized serial number lists, or photos of their valuables. Nobody would have proof of most jewelry either just due to the nature of the product (often a gift or heirloom so you have no proof). And a photo can't show the quality of gold or precious stones. It's probably harder to get reimbursement for big ticket items like a $10K diamond ring without proof, but I bet a lot of people hook themselves up with a free ipad or laptop after a break-in haha.

I take photos of all my expensive possessions (PC, camera gear, etc.) with serial number visible if possible. I also have PDF scans of every receipt of value and store it on the cloud. I am the only person I know who does this though haha.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Fair enough, but how does anyone get payouts then, or authorization to go and re-buy the items they lost (or "lost")? I would guess not even 1% of people keep good records like receipts, itemized serial number lists, or photos of their valuables. Nobody would have proof of most jewelry either just due to the nature of the product (often a gift or heirloom so you have no proof). And a photo can't show the quality of gold or precious stones. It's probably harder to get reimbursement for big ticket items like a $10K diamond ring without proof, but I bet a lot of people hook themselves up with a free ipad or laptop after a break-in haha.

I take photos of all my expensive possessions (PC, camera gear, etc.) with serial number visible if possible. I also have PDF scans of every receipt of value and store it on the cloud. I am the only person I know who does this though haha.
    I do it also. Have photos of all valuable items, photos of them, scans of the receipts and the serial number in a spreadsheet on the cloud. Also keep scans of important documents too. After my cousin went through a break in we started doing it.

Also agree on he safety deposit box and safe or proper hiding if necessary. Security cables on stuff left in the open. In the end you just want to slow down thieves enough to make them second guess what they are grabbing. If they really want something they will get it.
    Last edited by Cagare; 05-03-2018 at 08:57 PM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

My Sky Control panel failed the other night. Series of cascading failures followed by total loss of power. The fan on the bottom left corner started and just stayed running until I unplugged the unit from the wall. Called Vivint support and they placed a call out for a local tech to investigate.

Tech came today. He just removed the old panel and gave me a new one. Hooked everything back up and good as new.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

So I was checking my bill and I use to pay $49.99, but now its suddenly dropped to $29.99/monthly. Anyone had this happen? I never called in to get a reduction. Last call a few months ago was to threaten to cancel if they didnt give me some free upgrades which I said I would think about and decide.

Still want the new Sky Control Panel and a doorbell camera. Gotta see what Alarmforce/Fluent/ADT offer
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    So I was checking my bill and I use to pay $49.99, but now its suddenly dropped to $29.99/monthly. Anyone had this happen? I never called in to get a reduction. Last call a few months ago was to threaten to cancel if they didnt give me some free upgrades which I said I would think about and decide.

Still want the new Sky Control Panel and a doorbell camera. Gotta see what Alarmforce/Fluent/ADT offer
    It's cuz you paid out the equipment fee and now you just have monitoring fee monthly.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    I don't have home security, but Jesus! $50/mo seems pretty steep!
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Monitoring costs are interesting. Vivint will roll the costs of equipment into your monthly payment along with the monitoring fees. The costs for all my equipment and monitoring is around $65. I'm almost done with the equipment portion of it.

I always thought it was really expensive until I ran into a Fluent tech last winter. He asked how much I was paying and how much equipment I had. Told him and his response was "Holy shit. That is a steal of a deal man!"

Another thing, I wanted some fixed cameras for my place and I was going to order them thru Vivint. This was back when they had the 'fixed cameras' now they have the 'ping cameras'. IIRC, they wanted around $180 for one camera. That's a lot. So I waited and ended up spotting three of them on a local buy/sell page for $200 total. They just synch up to the Sky Control panel so I bought them and synched them to my panel and it was a breeze. Worked out great. If you're thinking of adding those types of peripherals, they are easy to set up and people usually sell them for cheap compared to getting the same thing from Vivint.

Does anyone have the 'ping' type cameras? What are they like? (The ping camera superseded the fixed camera.)

Also, as a guy who works away, I find the entire service a significant value. It's great to be able to see what's going on at home.
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 08-24-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunLobster View Post
    Personally I had a problem with Vivint. I felt the package wasn't terrible. I had problems with the camera in the garage which would randomly flicker and cause me to get a warning of movement in the garage. Also my doorbell camera never worked proper.

Within the first 10 days of being able to return it. I asked for service, they sent the same tech who installed who put in 'boosters' which did nothing. I then requested a different tech to come out, and i waited around for a 10AM service, which the same tech called me at 1030 saying there was nothing he could do. I ripped out the entire system myself and boxed it back up for the guy to pick up. At that point found out i was billed for equipment which was never installed (Because they name the equipment in serial numbers and not names).

I went with my own home automation and just set up my own equipment with no issues.

This was the experience a buddy of mine had so I went a different route.

I use a set of 5 Arlo camera linked to my phone. I have one mounted inside but pointed at my front door so I get around the cold weather issue. I also installed motion sensor lights in my back yard, security bars on my basement windows, always park my car in my garage and have a Retriever with a large growl and bark. So far that has worked pretty good. In the winter I have noticed my back gate open and footprints on the deck but no break-in
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

hey guys! my vivint contract is expiring this month. i called vivint and they offered $39.99/month for 12 months without any equipment upgrades. after the 12 month contract is expired, i will be on a month-to-month basis. is that a decent deal? i was told that if i were to cancel, that i can’t use the app anymore (which makes sense), so that’s why i’m leaning on getting this offer.

i was hoping they’d throw in a new camera, at least, but no dice.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cancel for a month and see what they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Cancel for a month and see what they say.
    they said i can only do month-to-month after i finish the 12-month term.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No, don't go on month to month. Cancel completely. Either they give you a great deal to stop you cancelling, or they give you a great deal a month later as a "new" customer, or you get a great deal as someone without a security system at all ($0/mo!) . Three ways to win.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Home security monitoring is a scam anyway, keep the equipment and use it offline.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Home security monitoring is a scam anyway, keep the equipment and use it offline.
    I think the real value is the yard sign and window stickers. I still have mine!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I called last month just to inquire on cancelling my contract as I've been month to month w/o contract for almost 2 years, and these fuckers said I verbally agreed to a new 2 year term somehow which I never did. I asked when this happened and they said it was when my price was dropped to $29.99. I said bullshit, and asked for proof of this, they said they would pull up the audio recording of the call, and I never heard back since.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I called last month just to inquire on cancelling my contract as I've been month to month w/o contract for almost 2 years, and these fuckers said I verbally agreed to a new 2 year term somehow which I never did. I asked when this happened and they said it was when my price was dropped to $29.99. I said bullshit, and asked for proof of this, they said they would pull up the audio recording of the call, and I never heard back since.
    $30/mo seems like a reasonable amount. how’d you score that??

i’ve been with these fuckers for a while now and although they’ve agreed to lower my monthly cost, still hasn’t happened.

who are viable replacements now anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I get an email every couple weeks from TELUS asking me to sign up for their security system for ~20 bucks a month. Still a waste of money.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast