Quantcast
Vivint Home Security - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vivint Home Security

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I dumped Vivint last year. There hasn't been any meaningful upgrade since I signed on, they're pushing home automation but it's their half baked solution and only integrated with another half baked solution (Google Home). Their panel started flaking out on us and would give false alarms a couple times a year when armed with a panel tamper false trigger. The last year we just stopped arming it. Should've cancelled then but totally forgot. Switched to a Honeywell system that integrates into Homekit, now the automation is complete. Arm when leaving, auto secure the house (blinds, locks) etc. Don't even use the panel, everything is done through my native Apple Home app that controls the entire house.

When I quit Vivint they countered with the $30 a month deal for me as well.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What Panel did you end up with?

I have a Nest Guard / Secure which has been decent since I dumped ADT.

I’d rather put the 20-30 bucks into a slush account to spend on cameras and home automation toys.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I get an email every couple weeks from TELUS asking me to sign up for their security system for ~20 bucks a month. Still a waste of money.
    Telus bought ADT here, so they are just trying to get you back to ADT.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    $30/mo seems like a reasonable amount. how’d you score that??
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    So I was checking my bill and I use to pay $49.99, but now its suddenly dropped to $29.99/monthly. Anyone had this happen? I never called in to get a reduction. Last call a few months ago was to threaten to cancel if they didnt give me some free upgrades which I said I would think about and decide.

Still want the new Sky Control Panel and a doorbell camera. Gotta see what Alarmforce/Fluent/ADT offer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    It's cuz you paid out the equipment fee and now you just have monitoring fee monthly.
    Keep in mind, I just have basic alarm package. You might have home automation/cameras and etc. I don't have nothing but the old 2Gig control panel and sensors.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Telus bought ADT here, so they are just trying to get you back to ADT.
    I’m aware

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What Panel did you end up with?

I have a Nest Guard / Secure which has been decent since I dumped ADT.

I’d rather put the 20-30 bucks into a slush account to spend on cameras and home automation toys.
    I'm Homekit, so there's only 2 systems that are natively compatible with it. Honeywell Lyric Alarm which requires a monitoring service, and Abode which is a DIY system with self monitoring. I went with the Honeywell setup. Didn't feel like building it myself especially with door and motion sensor crap, so just went with a dealer to get it all done.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Ok fair enough, I remember searching for a panel I could self monitor a few years ago and landed on the Nest, but wasn’t sure where things had landed.

I don’t even have a single one of my Nest things hooked up in the new place, I’m trying to figure out what automation platform I want to commit to go forward. Nest and Google Home has been mildly disappointing to me.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ok fair enough, I remember searching for a panel I could self monitor a few years ago and landed on the Nest, but wasn’t sure where things had landed.

I don’t even have a single one of my Nest things hooked up in the new place, I’m trying to figure out what automation platform I want to commit to go forward. Nest and Google Home has been mildly disappointing to me.
    I integrated all my Nest stuff into HomeKit with this guy: https://www.starlinghome.io

The HomeKit platform has been rock solid for me. I mean there are a few things I have on my Wishlist, but overall it's done almost everything I needed.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I integrated all my Nest stuff into HomeKit with this guy: https://www.starlinghome.io

The HomeKit platform has been rock solid for me. I mean there are a few things I have on my Wishlist, but overall it's done almost everything I needed.
    That thing is essentially just a homebridge box? Works well with Cameras?

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I'm Homekit, so there's only 2 systems that are natively compatible with it. Honeywell Lyric Alarm which requires a monitoring service, and Abode which is a DIY system with self monitoring. I went with the Honeywell setup. Didn't feel like building it myself especially with door and motion sensor crap, so just went with a dealer to get it all done.
    I want to get out of ADT and into a DIY setup. I am just so new to homekit that i am scared to make the jump. I would like to go with Abode but the automation part i am worried about as i have specific things i want to accomplish (ie. lock doors at XX time, or turn off/on lights or shades with sunrise sunset). The reviews on Abode are that its a good security system but pretty light on the home automation end. Is there a homekit controller that you are aware of that will work with Abode on the security side and take the heavy lift on the automation side?

Edit, nevermind, seen the starling home hub.That seems to be only nest integration. I am looking for other zwave type control.
    Last edited by spike98; 03-05-2020 at 11:14 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I dumped Vivint quite a few years back. Cost and function are my primary factors. Monitor service fee adds up and it's gone forever. Cost for DIY stuff with integrated automation can be high but the function far exceeds the system that monitor services provide at least for the time being. I can't see it getting better. Those companies exist in closed system and they can't compete with open market. I started with door lock, thermostat, door sensors and cameras, then a few switches, garage door opener, more switches, ceiling fans, more switches, blinds over the years. I'll probably cry if I have to buy them all in one day but it wasn't too bad to add them gradually. When I cancelled Vivint, I explained to them what I was doing. There wasn't much resistance, it was like ok, thank you and good day sir.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I called last month just to inquire on cancelling my contract as I've been month to month w/o contract for almost 2 years, and these fuckers said I verbally agreed to a new 2 year term somehow which I never did. I asked when this happened and they said it was when my price was dropped to $29.99. I said bullshit, and asked for proof of this, they said they would pull up the audio recording of the call, and I never heard back since.
    Just bumping this, spoke with retentions finally and told them about how I've been w/o contract blah blah, guy at first said are you sure, cause your at $29.99 and I see you called in 2018 when your rate was dropped to $29.99 and accepted the deal, I said BS, its because my equipment is paid for thats why its $29.99, I never agreed to anything, he started looking into my account and said yeah it odd because if you did agree there would be a 3 year contract or etc but I see no contract on your account at all.

Anyways I ended up getting the new Sky Control panel, a DoorBell Ring Pro all for free $0 install fee. He also gave me some good will credits of $5/off per month for the next 5 months. Rate is still the $29.99/month BUT I had to lock in for 60 months, I tried to get him to throw in a free outdoor camera but wasnt able to unless my monthly rate went up. I know 5 years locked but thats fine with me, as the $29.99 rate stays locked for that 5 years which I think is great price but I might sell my house in 2-3 years and move back to Calgary so will call back then and get them to do the move my equipment thing for free. My main goal was just getting the new panel and Doorbell camera. I'll hit up Amazon and get some Wyze cams and install myself.

Also got him to replace some of my sensors to newer ones since I got the same installer my sister used a year ago.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Bumping up this thread, someone from ADT just came to my door and offered a "free alarm system, cameras, etc. if you simply advertise for us with a sign, stickers, etc. on your house because you live in an appealing high traffic area".

I declined before I could figure out what the catch to it was, but I presume they'd be locking in for some contract X years and it's "free" only up to an extent?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The catch is there us a camera in each bedroom, oh and if someone breaks in they won’t do anything about it.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

... and if someone breaks in they won’t do anything about it.
    true of every alarm company these days. Alarms are such a waste of money.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    true of every alarm company these days. Alarms are such a waste of money.
    Yea alarm companies are complete scams, services people pay for to make their wives feel safe when what they really need is a real man in the house. Or a firearm. I go the firearm route.

fact.

Bumping up this thread, someone from ADT just came to my door and offered a "free alarm system, cameras, etc. if you simply advertise for us with a sign, stickers, etc. on your house because you live in an appealing high traffic area".

I declined before I could figure out what the catch to it was, but I presume they'd be locking in for some contract X years and it's "free" only up to an extent?

They came to my house too, so the door to door guys work for a company that sells the ADT service. The catch is you sign up for the service at $35 for 5 years. You can also do 3 years at a higher rate I think. You can go to the ADT website and it’ll give you all the info, it is cheaper if you get it from them directly but I don’t think they cover install.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Yikes!! Yup, I've got the full Wyze / Ring setup going on the whole place and love it so much.

Actually, (maybe I should post in the Wyze thread) but I just got an email about Wyze Plus (full-length motion recording of Complete Motion Capture) it's $11.84 / Year.

Has anyone used Blink cameras?
    We just dumped Telus, but want to keep some form of camera setup.

Any other options? I could probably search, but I’m lazy.

My Ride

Yikes!! Yup, I've got the full Wyze / Ring setup going on the whole place and love it so much.

Actually, (maybe I should post in the Wyze thread) but I just got an email about Wyze Plus (full-length motion recording of Complete Motion Capture) it's $11.84 / Year.
    Do you use any Wyze for outdoor? Wondering if the cams can withstand our winters outside

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast