Quantcast
PART 8 - Has your office laid people off - With poll - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Have you been laid off during this downturn?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I was laid off and have not found more work

14 8.14%
  • Yes - I was laid off and found work that pays less or is in a different industry

8 4.65%
  • Yes - I was laid off and found similar work.

22 12.79%
  • No - I have not been laid off.

121 70.35%
  • Other - Please explain.

7 4.07%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12

Thread: PART 8 - Has your office laid people off - With poll

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a friend who was laid off at the start of this year in oil and gas and he refused to take any job lower than $150k, suffice to say he is still looking for work
    Well, he mustn't be hurting that bad for money if he's holding out. Good for him.

Or he's just an idiot.

Last day is friday. Merry Christmas to me! We shall see what the new year brings.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:23 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Last day is friday. Merry Christmas to me! We shall see what the new year brings.
    Sorry to hear that, the good news is there seems to be a lot more postings as of late. Still 500+ applicants to every one but at least it seems to be a sign of mild reversal.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Sorry to hear that, the good news is there seems to be a lot more postings as of late. Still 500+ applicants to every one but at least it seems to be a sign of mild reversal.
    Absoloutely more postings. Still a decent percentage of them are "fake" postings where the candidate has already been selected either from an internal pool or from within the hiring managers existing network. Putting the posting online is a required process, but seriously considering the candidates isn't.

As always, your best chances are getting to the people BEFORE the posting goes live. Work your network, advertise your unique value proposition. Know what makes you unique beyond your basic technical skills.

Have a plan, work your plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Absoloutely more postings. Still a decent percentage of them are "fake" postings where the candidate has already been selected either from an internal pool or from within the hiring managers existing network. Putting the posting online is a required process, but seriously considering the candidates isn't.

As always, your best chances are getting to the people BEFORE the posting goes live. Work your network, advertise your unique value proposition. Know what makes you unique beyond your basic technical skills.

Have a plan, work your plan.
    Best advice yet and I have seen it over and over again. I've seen many people get jobs, or move employers simply because a strong network. In a time where a single posting gets 500+ applicants, its crazy to see that there are still quite a few companies approaching people to try and bring them on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I remember reading this in a previous page in this thread but didn't list the magnitude.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...lips-1.4447990

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

We had a big job with a short timeline, hired on 5 guys, ran night shift, got the job done and 4 layoffs beginning of the month. These are production/assembly type jobs. Lousey timing.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Girl I know works at Vertex in Edmonton. Seems like they have lots of postings open.
    Cos...

My Ride

We put up a posting for a few junior/int Eng and the number of applicants crashed the job posting site

Took it down for a day, then back up... had more than enough resumes to go through.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:22 AM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Looks like my company will be laying off everybody except for me at the end of November.

Only reason they are keeping me is to bid on projects and it sounds like if I don't scratch up $10m worth of work by Christmas, I'll be gone too!
    Hard to win any work when your idiot boss still thinks a 15% fee is achievable on municipal tenders.

Prettt disgusted with how they handled the layoffs and everything around Christmas time. Basically laid off all the key people I needed and expects me to take over their workload. I took a fall and had a concussion in early December and had to take 5-6 days off work. On Dec 8 I said I was feeling better and okay to return to work on the 11th for the rest of the year. Told me he was going to shut my site down instead from Dec 11 - Jan 2nd and that he would just temporarily lay me off for that period. Haven’t seen a paycheque since I last worked on Dec 4. Not sure I want to go back and work for that cunt. Lots of people who had been with the company for 3+ years ago were permanently laid off were not paid severance/vacation/etc. Pretty pathetic & petty to do right before Christmas.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 12-27-2017 at 02:25 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Hard to win any work when your idiot boss still thinks a 15% fee is achievable on municipal tenders.

Prettt disgusted with how they handled the layoffs and everything around Christmas time. Basically laid off all the key people I needed and expects me to take over their workload. I took a fall and had a concussion in early December and had to take 5-6 days off work. On Dec 8 I said I was feeling better and okay to return to work on the 15th for the rest of the year. Told me he was going to shut my site down instead from Dec 15 - Jan 2nd and that he would just temporarily lay me off for that period. Haven’t seen a paycheque since I last worked on Dec 4. Not sure I want to go back and work for that cunt. Lots of people who had been with the company for 3+ years ago were permanently laid off were not paid severance/vacation/etc. Pretty pathetic & petty to do right before Christmas.
    If I went through that, I'd be inclined to go back to work for him when you could and actively job hunt. As soon as you find another job, quit with no notice. What goes around comes around

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

That’s the plan basically. I’m getting married in February, so I am going to take my 4 weeks vacation, return and quit with no notice on the Monday I’m back regardless if I have somewhere to go or not.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

That’s the plan basically. I’m getting married in February, so I am going to take my 4 weeks vacation, return and quit with no notice on the Monday I’m back regardless if I have somewhere to go or not.
    Fuck, it's tough to land contracts at 10 points these days. Also, hopefully he doesn't cruise Beyond lol

That's fucking brutal, here's to hoping it holds together till after the wedding. Good luck dude.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Prettt disgusted with how they handled the layoffs and everything around Christmas time. Basically laid off all the key people I needed and expects me to take over their workload. I took a fall and had a concussion in early December and had to take 5-6 days off work. On Dec 8 I said I was feeling better and okay to return to work on the 11th for the rest of the year. Told me he was going to shut my site down instead from Dec 11 - Jan 2nd and that he would just temporarily lay me off for that period. Haven’t seen a paycheque since I last worked on Dec 4. Not sure I want to go back and work for that cunt. Lots of people who had been with the company for 3+ years ago were permanently laid off were not paid severance/vacation/etc. Pretty pathetic & petty to do right before Christmas.

Thats brutal, sorry to hear.
    I never understand when management sets such impossible targets. It makes me question if they understand what a business plan is.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12