Quantcast
Fun Roadtrip Car? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Fun Roadtrip Car?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by ercchry

Depends if the latest one has a larger gas tank now (running low and not knowing where the next station is... or if it's a small town if they even have premium... cough... millarville is one of the greatest paranoias of road tripping)

And I'm sure the turbo has different gearing... but with the v8... there is just something unsettling about sitting at 5k+ rpm for long periods of time on a German engine
    It's also fun when there's no drift crazy lunatic behind the wheel.

JK I'm just jello.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by flipstah

It's also fun when there's no drift crazy lunatic behind the wheel.

JK I'm just jello.
    The last thing people expect from a 328i with an oversized thule

Plus, if you are going to take the long way home, you have to make the time up somehow!

I guess I can give the m3 a +1 in the sleeper category... so nondescript vs coupe

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

An M3 would be a damn nice road trip car IMO
    My wife and I took our tent in the E46 M3 to San Francisco and back a few years ago. Super fun car to road trip with, but cargo space is limited. I also brought a spare tire, because all BMW gives you a can of hope, a prayer, and a phone number.

I was ordered to slow down on the PCH because she was getting nauseous.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 06:01 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I've driven my S/C E92 M3 to Kelowna 6 times in total.

Awesome car for that trip! Very fuel efficient for 650hp+ too. Canmore - Kelowna on one tank of gas.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by killramos

Whitefish

Driving to Kelowna or Van is boring.

Or drive down into Washington / Oregon but that's turning into a real drive lol.

I'd like to do a drive to Jasper this summer just because I have never been.
    Good suggestions! Never been to Whitefish or Washington. I tossed the idea of a road trip to the wife and she is down, but just not Kelowna as we did that last year.

Washington seems to be a similar length of time as Vancouver so that is definitely an option and I have never been there before so that could be nice.

Although the idea is potentially becoming from just us two in the M3 to us two, another friend couple with their young son in probably a SUV. Haha. Defeats the purpose of what I was intending.

An M3 would be a damn nice road trip car IMO

Vancouver Island, take the old highway up to Campbell River. Check out Elk Falls, do the epic ripple rock hike (well only if you like watching boat eating whirpools from the top of a cliff), chill out at the fresh water McIvor lake, have ice cream at the huge pier beside... etc.

Another great drive is if you drive down through Nakusp from Revelstoke, and then take the ferry from Folkqueer (sp?) to needles, then take the epic Monashee pass out to Vernon. There is a really nice gem of a lake and campsite on the Needles side.

I suppose if you like going town to town searching for oil and temporary accommodations while your car gets fixed, haha

I was at an AutoX on Sunday where somebody brought out a Triumph.... sure enough as I was on my way home, there he was at the side of the road with the hood up
    Vancouver is on the list and I have also thrown Victoria into the mix. I do like the Washington idea now though as I haven't been there before and the drive seems to be of similar time. Would be cool to go somewhere I haven't been before.

The timing is probably going to be 5 days max, so it can't be any farther than that.

My Ride
    This and that.

^Looking at the map and getting serious about it, I am actually gonna start a new thread so I don't derail this one. Would welcome suggestions etc from you guys there.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

That's what I would take. I'm good at making bad choices though.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The trick for doing Vancouver Island if you are coming from Calgary on any sort of a reasonable schedule is to have a nap after work on Friday, and then depart in the evening. That gets you to the ferry as they startup in the morning, no lines in the morning and you can catch some zzzz's on the ride across. That gives you more than enough zoot to get to your hotel and check in for an easy laid back afternoon.

If you try to drive out during the day, you lose a whole day and then the ferry gets congested as all hell by about 11am

The drive back is more simple... catch the early ferry, and you arrive in Calgary in the evening.
    Nap after work... you must be getting old.

Sleep once you get in the ferry line its usually around midnight - 1AM if you leave at a reasonable time.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by shakalaka

Vancouver is on the list and I have also thrown Victoria into the mix.
    If you're going to hit the Island in the M3, I seriously suggest going to Long Beach/Tofino... and make sure your wife takes some Gravol for the road there

If you try to drive out during the day, you lose a whole day and then the ferry gets congested as all hell by about 11am
    Or you could just pay the $15 for a reservation, and drive right by all the suckers.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

If you can hit that perfect window on Hwy 1 where the truckers are done for the night and before they wake up... it's so glorious

I like to average about 120km/h from Louise to revy... and a couple times I've managed this with passing less than 4 semis, and only a handful of passenger vehicles

My next road trip is going to suck... but the destination is worth it. Volunteered to drive the old hemi powered Durango out to the lake... in the muskoka... with the dogs... and the most uncomfortable leather seats around... and I think pulling some sort of uhaul

Oh well, will be nice to have a bigger vehicle out there, makes future flights with the dogs easier to organize

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

I did a month long 13,000 km tour of the US (plus Toronto) in my '04 Rx8, it was great. This included a 4 day haul from Orlando to Calgary. I was by myself so I could double back and repeat good sections of road with nobody complaining (Tail of the Dragon multiple times for example)

My Ride
    Silverado

I assume it was 1,000 km a day and 2 weeks for an engine rebuild? damn that's a lot of driving!

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    I assume it was 1,000 km a day and 2 weeks for an engine rebuild? damn that's a lot of driving!
    No rebuilds...on that trip. But I'm a bit of a gambler, what's better than rolling the dice every day of a roadtrip?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4