Quantcast
Square filter suggestions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Square filter suggestions

My Ride
    G

Default Square filter suggestions

Hey guys, so up until now I've been using screw on ND filters and never used graduated filters. I was thinking of investing into a drop in filter type now but I seem to get lost in the different types and brands.

First is the holder system, I looked further into the LEE system and also discovered the Formatt-Hitech system. I like that the Formatt-Hitech holder has a thread in front of the filter holder to screw in a polarizer, I'm not sure how much i'd use it but I like the option of having it. Does the Lee system have a way to put a polarizer?

Another thing I'm worried about is how easy the holder system is to accidentally knock off. With such expensive glass being held on, the last thing I want is for it to accidentally get knocked off. I also read that Lee holder is plastic and Formatt-Hitech is aluminum, are there any advantages to that?

Aside from the holder brands, can I stick a different brand filter into a different brand holder system or does each company make their filters slightly thicker or thinner to make them incompatible with other brands?

Any other brands I should look at or things I haven't considered? Sorry for all the questions but the systems aren't cheap so I want to know that I'm putting my money into the right place

Yes, Lee has their 105mm accessory ring. It screws in front of the holder and enables you to use either of their polarizers. I currently use the landscape version. It's thinner and was designed to be used with 16/17mm lenses without vignetting. I get no vignetting on my 17mm TS-E unless I shift.

I have never used Formatt-Hitech. I'll vouch for Lee's quality. It is mostly plastic but I'd prefer it over aluminum if I'm sliding in/out GND filters. The holder has never fallen off on me. I always leave the setup attached to the camera and tripod while it's slung over my shoulders.

I currently use Singh Ray GND filters with the Lee holder. The fit is snug. If I had to replace the Singh Rays, I'd most likely go with Lee.

Breakthrough Filters is a new company. They offer tempered glass filters and a new holder. I believe their kickstarter campaign is coming to an end.

Go with Lee if you want something tried and tested.

There are an increasing amount of filter companies coming on the scene these days. I personally use Lee for all of my stuff and am extremely happy with the quality and their ease of use.

I have a screw on polarizer attached to the outside of my filter holder, I use it all the time. Same as SL888 the landscape version.

Let me know if you have any other questions at all.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I use Lee and Singh Ray, along with some Hoya screw-in's that have been pretty beat-up over the years and yet still work great (with minimal colour cast as well on long exposures).

Breakthrough Filters is supposed to have exceptional product, really would love to try out their stuff.
    Ultracrepidarian