Quantcast
DNA Test Kits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: DNA Test Kits

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Default DNA Test Kits

Anyone tried one these? I've been reading some reviews on the biggest name ones: AncestryDNA, FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe. All of them have their Pro's and Con's, which one did/would you pick and why?

Right now, leaning more towards the FamilyTreeDNA kit for the detailed results. AncestryDNA is a close section due to the "cousin matching" archive.

I realize there is a lot of skepticism around these and results can vary between test's. However, it interests me as my genealogy has a lot of gaps in it.

I know a bunch of people who got 23andme done and mine is currently in progress.

It's kind of cool, I think it makes a really neat gift.

23andme IMHO is the best because it tells you way more than just ancestry. It tells you drug sensitivities and drug resistances, if you're immune to certain viruses, if you have markers for certain health conditions or genetic conditions, etc.

Parkinsons, breast cancer, and Alzheimers requires you to agree to unlock your results, because some people prefer not to know.

If you have any relatives or family members who have done it too, it will tell you (you can choose whether to share your name or not). It tells you your ethnicity makeup as well as your neanderthal percentage haha.

It also tells you a lot of things you already know about yourself, like if you have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, or if sunlight makes you sneeze, but it's still kind of cool to read it all.

I've seen 4 or 5 kits now and they have all been 100% accurate as far as the owner could tell, which shouldn't be too surprising since it's your DNA haha. It gives you a ridiculous amount of information with full explanations for every little thing.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah I've been thinking of getting the 23andMe kit myself because of the genetic/medical information. One thing I already know about myself that doesn't require a DNA test: I'm a cheap Asian cause the only thing holding me back is the price

This was the video I watched that made me want to try it out. They don't explicitly say they're the 23andMe kits, but people in the comments have identified them as so. Amy's Canadian, so the "maple syrup urine disease" is hilarious haha

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Wouldn't these things have the potential to have serious ramifications on your insurability? Who owns these companies and the information they obtain?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Yeah I've been thinking of getting the 23andMe kit myself because of the genetic/medical information. One thing I already know about myself that doesn't require a DNA test: I'm a cheap Asian cause the only thing holding me back is the price
    They were on sale $100 off a couple weeks ago, I think for Father's Day. Maybe check again around Canada Day? Not sure haha.

Wouldn't these things have the potential to have serious ramifications on your insurability? Who owns these companies and the information they obtain?
    You have to approve or deny a consent form for them to store your DNA for up to 10 years or something like that for research, so you can just select deny. There's always a risk I guess but if they were found to not be honoring that, the company wouldn't be around much longer.

I forget the name of the lab they use but it was printed on the kit they sent me. I think it's in the USA.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    You have to approve or deny a consent form for them to store your DNA for up to 10 years or something like that for research, so you can just select deny. There's always a risk I guess but if they were found to not be honoring that, the company wouldn't be around much longer.
    I know it reeks of conspiracy theory thoughts but, even if a company like this didn't get caught for 5 years, imagine how much crazy info. they would have harvested and who knows to what end? Especially when you don't really know who owns the company.

Yes, I realize it sounds nuts but I can't help it with these, I don't fucking trust them.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 06-05-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I know it reeks of conspiracy theory thoughts but, even if a company like this didn't get caught for 5 years, imagine how much crazy info. they would have harvested and who know to what end? Yes, I really it sounds nuts but I can't help it with these, I don't fucking trust them.
    Haha I guess it's not for you then, nothing wrong with that.

I figure if someone wanted to steal my DNA there would be much easier ways. Or maybe having done this gives you plausible deniability if you ever get caught for something

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Haha I guess it's not for you then, nothing wrong with that.

I figure if someone wanted to steal my DNA there would be much easier ways. Or maybe having done this gives you plausible deniability if you ever get caught for something
    Ahhh, I still might do it - I'm really not that crazy. But these are the thoughts I have been thinking about it haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Be careful with asking questions you may not want to know the answer to.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    Be careful with asking questions you may not want to know the answer to.
    Anything remotely sensitive is locked, and you have to agree like 3 times to see them. They are very clear that just because you have the marker for something, it doesn't mean you will get the condition, and also that if you don't have the marker, you can still get it. The markers have certain statistics linked to them though. I believe the breast cancer one is around 80% or more if you have the highest level marker, which is the only one that is pretty definitive.

As for finding out you were adopted or something, well that is a possibility haha.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Wouldn't these things have the potential to have serious ramifications on your insurability?
    This would be my concern, the life insurance companies don't even need to get their hands on the info... they just need to start asking on the forms whether you've ever done a DNA test and if it flagged any potential conditions.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

I know it reeks of conspiracy theory thoughts but, even if a company like this didn't get caught for 5 years, imagine how much crazy info. they would have harvested and who knows to what end? Especially when you don't really know who owns the company.

Yes, I realize it sounds nuts but I can't help it with these, I don't fucking trust them.
    ZenOps hack your account?

My Ride

Originally posted by mr2mike

ZenOps hack your account?

that's why I said I know it sounds crazy! But I think the insurance ramifications specifically are a valid concern. The rest is a bit out there hahaha Thoughts?
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Highlander

We bought my mom the 23andme kit for her birthday. It was actually pretty neat, she was adopted so she doesn't know anything about her history. I've toyed with the idea of doing it too, but it's quite costly. No earth shattering discoveries, although we did find out a neurological condition I have actually can be found in a DNA test and my mom has a mild case of it, which explains where I got it from. That was the coolest part for me. And we found out the lady cancer gene isn't one she carries, so that's a plus

Definitely not too crazy though if it was an unethical company.

Originally posted by Melinda
    We bought my mom the 23andme kit for her birthday. It was actually pretty neat, she was adopted so she doesn't know anything about her history. I've toyed with the idea of doing it too, but it's quite costly. No earth shattering discoveries, although we did find out a neurological condition I have actually can be found in a DNA test and my mom has a mild case of it, which explains where I got it from. That was the coolest part for me. And we found out the lady cancer gene isn't one she carries, so that's a plus
    I did 23andMe for the same reason, being adopted. I have zero interest in reaching out to my biologicals, so this was a good basic option.

It was really spot on with what they can tell about you (hair/ eye color, even down to my taste preference for cilantro). It was great finding out I have no genetic conditions passed along (from what they can test).

The ancestry portion is pretty neat as well. I always knew I was mainly of Irish decent, but very surprised to find a large chunk of Scandinavian.

It is a little expensive for some, but I highly recommend if you can afford it.

My Ride
    none

I semi-agree. A privately owned dna database will be worth a pretty penny. Just a quick peak to see if there is a match, will cost a lot. Even if law informant can't legally use the info, at least they have a name. Or a private agency looking for a match that isn't bound by local laws, and could care less if you haven't agreed to share your info.

If I get the test done do I have to give them my real name? If you're worried about insurance, or them using this against you in the future just use an alias. Kind of like an online personality test, you don't give your real name there.

Originally posted by Star1995
    If I get the test done do I have to give them my real name? If you're worried about insurance, or them using this against you in the future just use an alias. Kind of like an online personality test, you don't give your real name there.
    Nope. You can call yourself whatever you want if you're worried about privacy. They don't verify anything. All you're paying for is the DNA analysis from the sample you send them, it could be anyone's, they couldn't care less whose it is. They are also very popular gifts, so the person buying it often isn't the person using the kit either.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I really want to do this but my geneology is tracked pretty well as is my wifes but it would be neat to see all of the other stuff you can find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast