Quantcast
Beyond Resume Review service - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Resume Review service

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a question for the smart folks on here. I've been told repeatedly that you need to make sure you resume scans well with the common ATS software that nearly every company uses. What's the best way to test this? I know there are some wesbites that say they do this, but if they are running something different than the "real" ATS systems, then it's kind of pointless.
    I am not sure where to test it. But a little tip I got once was hiding keywords from the posting (if they don't fit smoothly into resume) in white colour font throughout the spaces. It helps get it past the eyes of the bots and into someone that will actually read it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That might be a good place to mention that I speak English and I know how to use Microsoft Office. Man I feel stupid saying those things in a resume when they "should" be obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    If you have an interview, its down to seeing how much you actually fluffed up your resume, clarifying tidbits on your resume we are interested in getting more details on, and how much we like you. Maybe 4 people get an interview (the 2nd last time I hired we had 150 resumes for one entry level position) so it'll likely be you... if you dont fuck up the end game and come across as weird. My advice for interviews is interview them as much as they are interviewing you. If all you do is sit there like a lame duck answering a string of questions and dont engage me with your own string of questions, how boring are you? How little did you stand out in my memory after I finish interviewing 4 people? I dont care if you dont legitimately have any questions, ask stuff

In the last 15+ years there has only been one job I sent a cover letter/resume off for and didn't get hired (still received an interview though).
    This is my biggest struggle in interviews to be honest.
    I would consider myself outgoing and feel i get along with the interviewers at every interview i've had.
    But always always always choke up when they ask if i have any questions. I make small talk usually in the interview with them, but any questions you'd suggest asking? or how to ask them?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I figured i may as well add benefit to this thread also, a great idea ExtraSlow! (a guy with a ton of good advice if you take the time to reach out to him)...

I work in law enforcement as a front line officer, with extra duties in recruitment. I also have extensive experience in Transport Safety / OH&S if this is of help to anyone and their field. I would be more than happy to help you guys out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have been busy for a while on a training contract, but the current one is finished and I have time to do some resume reviews again. I have two in my inbox waiting for me right now, which I will get to soon.
    Anyone else needs help, PM me.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you want me to review your resume, I have space to do at least two more this week. And if you are still waiting on me, send me a PM to remind me!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

These are really great tips and ExtraSlow, I'll even drive down to Calgary to have one done in person in trade for lunch. Probably around Sept.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I will be taking a little break from this for a few weeks, but should have time later in the summer for some more. Just finished off two more and I THINK I'm all caught up now.

One thing that I see over and over is people using the work experience section to describe the duties of the jobs they have held. this does NOTHING to differentiate you from anyone else who happened to hold similar positions.
    always focus on ACTIONS you took and RESULTS you achieved. What did you do better than another person? what parts of the job were you good at or did you enjoy?

How did you make your bosses life easier? how did you add value (or prevent loss) for the company?

This is much easier to write if you know what type of position you are applying for. See what strengths they are looking for and be honest but proud of the places where your real achievements match those requirements.
    in short, what makes YOU special?

Best of luck to everyone out there, I've seen some strong candidate resumes come across my desk through this process, I know you will all do well if you work as hard to finding a job as you clearly have up to this point.

Thanks again ExtraSlow! He provided me with a bunch of suggestions to make mine better.

My Ride
    changes every year

shit! I was just about to see if you can look at mine. let me know when you're available again @ExtraSlow

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Mine just has my name at the top, and "I can do this" below it. Is that pretty comparable to some of the better ones you've seen?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    TL

ExtraSlow had some killer points on my Resume, and after the change, I received 2 interviews. I'm a lot more confident my Resume is getting to the next stage

Couple key points:

-Moving ATS keywords to the second page, out of sight for the human reader, but there so ATS includes it through the search
    -Having really strong actions/results within my resume, and including a few key accomplishments in the heading so I can grab their attention
    -I reduced more of my academic experience, since I have graduated 4 years ago, and put more emphasis on my Volunteer experiences for good conversation starters.

Thanks a lot!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I am down to one left in the queue, but this one is going to be a big one, needs a total re-write. I think it is going to be worth it however, a lot of gold in there. If you want me to take a look at yours, send me a note to and I will see when I can fit you in.

Best wishes to all job seekers out there.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Curious if anyone would mind reviewing an IT type resume, I get that in the end a resume is a resume and they should still function as such but someone with oil and gas experience would have a tough time reviewing IT and most likely vice versa (as an example anyways)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I just accepted a contract night shift position that will keep me really busy for the next while. Those if you who have already sent me your resume, I will get to it, particularly my welding buddy, I swear I am almost done yours.

If anyone else has time, I know the need is huge, please post here is you have some energy to offer.

I have had such amazing positive feedback about the work I have done thus far.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dandia89 View Post
    I have had some success with passing the initial screening with jobscan.co
    Anyone have guidance of the match rate that is usually required for this? Last time I did this I was getting around 45%, but the things I was missing were words like "additional" or "requirements" in many cases. It's easy to game the system to increase the match rate, but what kind of score should people be chasing?

My Ride
    4Runner

Hey ExtraSlow, you got a bit of time to check out my Resume and Cover letter?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Curious if anyone would mind reviewing an IT type resume, )
    I think there was someone on page 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    Hey ExtraSlow, you got a bit of time to check out my Resume and Cover letter?
    I won't be checking any until mid September at least. I hope another beyonder can step up.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Figured I would keep this going.

Anyone up for helping with a IT based resume?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Is anyone in HR or G & G that could review for summer student / intern positions?
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast