Quantcast
Repsol Center ( Talisman Center ) - Members? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Repsol Center ( Talisman Center ) - Members?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Repsol Center ( Talisman Center ) - Members?

Anyone on beyond a Repsol Center regular / member? Just wondering what people's thoughts are of the facility and membership value.

Have the opportunity to get a discounted membership through wife's work ( 500 pp ) and am thinking of adding myself on since I don't have a membership with work anymore. My wife really likes the facility mostly for the pool but I would mostly be looking at it for the gym facilities.

Overall it seems really cheap in comparison to a membership to a dedicated gym and I am wondering if there is a reason for that.

I'm not that big of a fitness buff but just looking to make some healthier life choices going forward. Would be particularly nice to have something in the winter when golf isn't in the cards.

Cheers,

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Fuck. I wish I could get my membership for 500 a year.

I've been a member for years and been going for decades. I love the place.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea its a pretty awesome deal, I don't think anywhere else can really touch that for overall cost. I have a "membership" to u of c fitness year round but by the time you factor in parking its pretty much worthless.

I have always liked the facility any time I have been, but more looking for any nitpicks etc. that people who go there regularly have that are deal breakers.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by killramos
    Yea its a pretty awesome deal, I don't think anywhere else can really touch that for overall cost. I have a "membership" to u of c fitness year round but by the time you factor in parking its pretty much worthless.

I have always liked the facility any time I have been, but more looking for any nitpicks etc. that people who go there regularly have that are deal breakers.
    Just depends on what you want to do. To play basketball it's good 80% of the year. There's usually a court or two open except during fall and winter weeknights when men's league basically takes over the gym 4 nights out of the week.

I don't know much about badminton, though I do see complaints on their suggestion board at times talking about how badminton gets shafted (pun) in favour of basketball.

Other than that, the weight room is about as busy as any other gym in the area. I typically avoid going in the early evening to avoid that rush.

My Ride
    M3P

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Just depends on what you want to do. To play basketball it's good 80% of the year. There's usually a court or two open except during fall and winter weeknights when men's league basically takes over the gym 4 nights out of the week.

I don't know much about badminton, though I do see complaints on their suggestion board at times talking about how badminton gets shafted (pun) in favour of basketball.

Other than that, the weight room is about as busy as any other gym in the area. I typically avoid going in the early evening to avoid that rush.
    Depends what you want out of it.

Basketball MON-THURS in the evening is only really available 845-Close in one gym. They rent out the individual gyms all the time which is fucking annoying because why the fuck am I paying for a membership for them to rent out the facilities to non members.

Friday/Weekends is easier for ball. I find there is always something set up for badminton but very seldom are all nets being utilized.

The free weights and squat racks are normally heavily in use if you come before 8PM on weeknights but there is a lot of other equipment and can normally do whatever exercise you want if you're flexible about when you want to do it.

If this was a gym that I had to go to at 5PM every day I would never dare get a membership.

For $500 a year you're paying $300 a year less than most people so I would say if you plan to use it if only 2/3 times a week you're way on top.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

If Talisman is convenient in terms of location I highly recommend it. The facilities are pretty large and the free classes are awesome. My girlfriend goes there and really likes it.

One thing, the weight floor gets quite hot in the summer and it can take a fair bit of time to get in and out.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cool, thanks guys

fact.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

$500/year is a no brainer.

It's $900/year over at the YMCA and Talisman is way better ( if it's within your area)

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

One thing, the weight floor gets quite hot in the summer
    Great for cutting season!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I work DT and live inner city, getting to Repsol in a reasonable amount of time is no problem for me.

And yea I don't see how getting a membership anywhere else would work out cheaper.

I have some friends who were trying to get me to join their crossfit gym but at 100+ a month ( for what honestly... ) fuck that noise. I think they were saying 130 pp monthly (?) for a couples membership which sounds nuts to me but they really like the community aspect so I guess that works for them. Sounds like hell to me in the first place let alone paying for it haha.

fact.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I have some friends who were trying to get me to join their crossfit gym but at 100+ a month ( for what honestly... ) fuck that noise. I think they were saying 130 pp monthly (?) for a couples membership which sounds nuts to me but they really like the community aspect so I guess that works for them. Sounds like hell to me in the first place let alone paying for it haha.
    That stuff can be a ton of fun and always good to have someone push you. I have my membership at the YMCA where I would go for weights and swimming a few times a week, but I also run outside, do Surfset and TRX training (Studio Revolution), Spin Classes (STYX), HIIT classes, and ROW (Movement U). All those classes can get $$$ but they are fun. Much rather go to 5 fitness classes than to go out for 1 nice dinner.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

That's fair, I like the idea of classes for the motivation aspect.

The other one I am considering is apparently my wife ALSO gets stupid discounts for goodlife ( seriously guys, marry a teacher ). 450 annual to use their gyms Canada wide, I like the idea of being able to go to the ones downtown after work or for lunch though I imagine it's stupid busy...

No pools ( apparently the one deep south has one actually ) and less sport aspect to them though, but my wife has a few friends who are at goodlife that she wants to do classes with so that's a big plus for her.

Decisions, decisions

fact.

That's fair, I like the idea of classes for the motivation aspect.

The other one I am considering is apparently my wife ALSO gets stupid discounts for goodlife ( seriously guys, marry a teacher ). 450 annual to use their gyms Canada wide, I like the idea of being able to go to the ones downtown after work or for lunch though I imagine it's stupid busy...

No pools ( apparently the one deep south has one actually ) and less sport aspect to them though, but my wife has a few friends who are at goodlife that she wants to do classes with so that's a big plus for her.

Decisions, decisions
    The 130th ave location has a pool, it's small, and a hot tub.
    Eau Claire location has a hot tub as well.

Lunch times can be busy but not unreasonable, since there are 3 downtown locations. There are also classes over the lunch hour, which helps to free up other areas in the gym too.

How busy is it in the morning? I'm at the Y now but thinking of making the switch for Tri club access.

It has everything you need, and more At that price, it's a no-brainer. One main reason I go is for the swimming with lanes open all the time. Then you can relax in the hot tub and steam room afterwards. Lots of weight machines and lots of space.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Used to go when I lived on 17th ave..

Good gym, fucking disgusting change room. I think its a right of passage for hairy eastern european or middle eastern guys to go to this gym. Wear two pairs of sandals at all times

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

fact.

They do have a janitor that periodically mops up the floor. Because of all the traffic coming in and out, and people coming in from the showers, the floors do get wet as expected. It's not that bad.

The locker room is disgusting unless you go in the morning.

Workout equipment is good. The squat racks aren't ideal - setting up deadlifts is a pain in the four-column racks, and some of the pullup bar configurations suck. The track is a godsend as it's a proper track floor so it doesn't kick the crap out of your feet.

The babe ratio is great. I've seen chicks swim in thongs there, which always astounds me.