Quantcast
Do neighbours in Calgary complain about OTA TV antennas? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Do neighbours in Calgary complain about OTA TV antennas?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Do neighbours in Calgary complain about OTA TV antennas?

I have a OTA antenna i got from Princess auto, I notice many homes have them mounted on their roofs just like the Simpsons

Are people generally cool with antennas now a days ?

I suppose that there will always be someone that'll complain. We had a 7' long antenna on our room for years as we didn't have cable and never a complaint from any neighbor but then again, we do live in an older community where one can still regularly see rooftop antennas and even the odd pole mounted one.

In newer communities, say the last 30 years, rooftop antennas pretty much didn't exist and I would even suspect that there may be some HOA that have bylaws addressing such items.

Never the less, if the antenna you bought is like the big old ones you used to see everywhere, then you'll get great OTA reception. People seem to have got it stuck into their heads that something new and radical is needed in antenna design and appearances when it comes to digital television but that simply is not true. My brother has my old antenna and gets great digital OTA up by Carstairs but I have to wonder how many complaints one would get if they were to mount such an antenna on a roof in Evanston or any other quite new community.
    Will fuck off, again.

I must add that our old antenna was a FM/UHF/VHF antenna and as such was capable of pulling in digital OTA signals which are broadcast on UHF.. Our antenna was pretty much this...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by speedog; 06-08-2017 at 07:12 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

They are usually very unobstructive.

The best ones lie flat and are made of thin rods, which means you actually have to strain to see them most of the time. Very unlike the old 22 foot satellite dishes.

If you get on the one designed specifically for HDTV ATSC, they don't even get very wide, just long.

If you are in Calgary and not in hidden valley, you can probably get away with an indoor wall mount - the signals are pretty strong coming off COP.

My research led me to the Digiwave ANT2190 for a 72 mile perfect connection. There are other more established antenna makers, but they can cost anywhere up to three times the price. In Calgary, I use a $3 dollarama antenna and get perfect reception on five of the six channels (Omni is a little bit of a weaker transmitter)
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-09-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.