Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
True enough. We give big subsidies and non-repayable loans to other industries in this country. If we value hockey as much as bombardier, horse racing, film and tv and other stuff, we'll pay for it.
See, that's the problem though. For people such as myself who love hockey, I certainly wouldn't want to lose our teams in Canada. But even as a die-hard fan, I can't really justify giving huge breaks to NHL teams. As Dirtsniffer mentioned, this is for the league to fix... not our private citizens. The NHL is a business and it makes money. Our citizens shouldn't be chipping in to make it more money. It isn't like the NHL is faltering, so it hardly needs a handout to keep operating.

Then take those who couldn't give two shits about hockey, and they CERTAINLY won't be in favour of giving out tax breaks. In the end, you end up up with a pretty polarized public and some pretty pissed off people who go on to anyone who will listen about how the government is spending money on something that doesn't help them whatsoever. And honestly, I can understand their negative position because I'd probably feel the same way if I wasn't a fan.