Quantcast
All-Inclusive: Jamaica Or Dominican Republic? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All-Inclusive: Jamaica Or Dominican Republic?

Default All-Inclusive: Jamaica Or Dominican Republic?

hey guys,

my wife and I are looking at going on an all-inclusive trip at the end of august. we're debating between the dominican republic and jamaica.

if we were to choose to go to the dominican republic, we would be staying at the luxury bahai principe samana. if we're going to jamaica, we would be staying at the jewel paradise cove in runaway bay, or at the riu montego bay.

we're not really party-goers. we'd most likely just want to chill, go for swims and eat lots of food lol.

we haven't been to either country before (we've only been to the mexico and the Bahamas or all-inclusive vacations), so any feedback from these two places would be appreciated!

thanks!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Went to Punta Cana, stayed at Majestic Elegance.

Hated DR. Super hot, ALL THE TIME. People are so poor that it's insane.

Food was hit or miss, but a definite miss was anything that had beef in it.

Haven't been to Jamaica, but I know I won't go back to DR.

Jamaica is much better then DR. I've been to DR twice and Jamaica 4 times now and I won't be returning to DR. My suggestion for Jamaica is to stay in Negril. If you must do all inclusive there are some nice options in Negril but again my suggestion would be to skip the all inclusive and stay somewhere on 7 mile beach and you can eat at different restaurants along the way. The food is much better then the resorts.

I just came back from Jamaica (Grand Palladium) it was VERY bad. Do not go there. Worst resort I've been to by a good margin and I am extremely tolerant while traveling.

I wouldn't bother with Jamaica unless you are going to a Sandals, but YMMV as my experience there was limited.

Dominican was OK, exact same as anywhere else if you don't leave the resort.

Honestly, as far as all-inclusive resorts go, I have no desire to go to anywhere but Mexico anymore unless it's a Sandals where I am guaranteed a certain level of quality, particularly in the food department which is a huge part of the enjoyment of traveling for me.

Mexico gets tons of short, direct flights too, Jamaica, etc. are always Toronto connections unless you go charter. It's just a more consistent and pleasant experience IMO, and it's all the same if you don't leave the resort much.

Most people can only speak from a handful of experiences though, so take it for what it's worth. Personally I've been to Cuba (2), Grenada, Bahamas, Mexico (3), Dominican, and Jamaica.

Oh, if it's just you and your wife, go somewhere that is adults only if at all possible. Also if you don't like smokers (about the only thing that REALLY bothers me at resorts), resorts vary wildly with where they let people smoke. Sandals is no-smoking except a few designated areas far out of the way so you never smell it. Most resorts let you smoke anywhere that isn't inside, at the pools, next to outdoor restaurants, etc.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-08-2017 at 01:41 PM.

I went to Jamaica in February and stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay which was good. It is more of a family resort. The food was good.

From what I hear Riu is the place to stay in Montego Bay.

But like stated previously, I would stay in Negril if possible. The beach there is amazing.

Overall really liked Montego Bay as well and would recommend it. A buddy of mine who was with us and has been to the DR recommends Jamaica over it.

Been to Bahai in Peurto Plata and it was good mid tier. We enjoyed ourselves and while the food was not outstanding, there was always stuff that we had no issues with. There definitely is a lot of poverty when you get off resort.

Been to Sandals in Negril and Rose Hall Suites in Montego Bay and both were awesome! The food was always excellent and the resorts clean and well kept. Off resort there things were better than DR.

Between the two, it would be Jamaica again, hand down!

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I just came back from Jamaica (Grand Palladium) it was VERY bad. Do not go there. Worst resort I've been to by a good margin and I am extremely tolerant while traveling.
    Word, shitty place.

Been to Samana, cayo levantado, not bad, nothing really to do except eat and relax haha

Probably more stuff to do in Jamaica though, depends on the type of trip you are looking for.

My Ride
    T4R / Tesla Y

The wife and I went to Sandals Ochi in Jamaica last year.. would recommend for sure. the rabbit hole speakeasy was pretty awesome.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Jamaica hands down. I've been to DR and Jamaica (Negril) kicks its ass - stay at one of the couples resorts, you won't want to go home.

Default Re: All-Inclusive: Jamaica Or Dominican Republic?

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    hey guys,

my wife and I are looking at going on an all-inclusive trip at the end of august. we're debating between the dominican republic and jamaica.

if we were to choose to go to the dominican republic, we would be staying at the luxury bahai principe samana. if we're going to jamaica, we would be staying at the jewel paradise cove in runaway bay, or at the riu montego bay.

we're not really party-goers. we'd most likely just want to chill, go for swims and eat lots of food lol.

we haven't been to either country before (we've only been to the mexico and the Bahamas or all-inclusive vacations), so any feedback from these two places would be appreciated!

thanks!
    Pay a little more and stay at the Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo edition in Samana Dominican Republic.

Nicer than anything mentioned in this thread. Also sounds like what you are looking for.

thanks for the response and suggestions!

what makes negril the "go to" over runaway bay or montego bay?

we thought about the luxury bahia principe cayo levantado, but is it really worth the extra cost? it looks AMAZING in the pictures, though.

basically, we just want to unwind and relax. although at the same time, some nice activities at night would be cool.

from what i've gathered so far, jamaica wins for the beaches and the food.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I wouldn't bother with Jamaica unless you are going to a Sandals, but YMMV as my experience there was limited.

Dominican was OK, exact same as anywhere else if you don't leave the resort.

Honestly, as far as all-inclusive resorts go, I have no desire to go to anywhere but Mexico anymore unless it's a Sandals where I am guaranteed a certain level of quality, particularly in the food department which is a huge part of the enjoyment of traveling for me.

Mexico gets tons of short, direct flights too, Jamaica, etc. are always Toronto connections unless you go charter. It's just a more consistent and pleasant experience IMO, and it's all the same if you don't leave the resort much.

Most people can only speak from a handful of experiences though, so take it for what it's worth. Personally I've been to Cuba (2), Grenada, Bahamas, Mexico (3), Dominican, and Jamaica.

Oh, if it's just you and your wife, go somewhere that is adults only if at all possible. Also if you don't like smokers (about the only thing that REALLY bothers me at resorts), resorts vary wildly with where they let people smoke. Sandals is no-smoking except a few designated areas far out of the way so you never smell it. Most resorts let you smoke anywhere that isn't inside, at the pools, next to outdoor restaurants, etc.
    not really sure what you're talking about unless something has changed, but I've flown to MB Jamaica direct and so has my mom.

my mom just went in February and she can vouch that you are correct about Grand Palladium , she said it's the worst place she's ever been. shitty because it's supposed to be 5 star. she's been to at least 3 and they were all excellent other than Jamaica.

I can't remember where I stayed in MB but I loved it there.

I think the Jewel Cove is the old Hedo in Runaway Bay and is a pretty old resort but was nice when I stopped in back in 02. Runaway is in the middle of nowhere and takes a bit of time to hit Ocho Rios or any other tourist spots. Also the Jewel is at the end of Runaway and I found the beach not as big or nice as the others on the Bay.
    But with that saying I loved my time in Jamaica. Great food, great Rum with some super nice people
    Last edited by darthVWader; 06-09-2017 at 10:54 AM.

My Ride
    KTM

Worst vacation I have ever been on was in DR.

Been to Jamaica twice and loved it. The people are amazing.

Been to both myself, as someone else already mentioned Negril is the be place to be at in Jamaica.
    Stayed at Sandals negril and loved it, of course the price difference between DR and Jamaica can be huge.
    I did not hate DR, stayed at bahia principe Samana and San Juan, I did not have a bad experience at any of them but you just cant compare the 7 mile beach in Negril to any of the beaches I visited in DR, day and night.

I guess it all comes down to budget and location.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Jamaica is by far the best all-inclusive Caribbean vacation I have been on. I've been to Bahamas, Cuba , and both Pacific and Caribbean sides of Mexico several times but not to the DR as I've heard too many mixed or unfortunate experiences.

We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall in Montego Bay and it was the best all inclusive food I have ever had. The buffet was so good that we only went to a "reservation required" restaurant once for the whole trip. The staff were all very professional and friendly, the beach was well kept and the resort was clean and well maintained.

For a beach vacation, I would go back to Jamaica anytime especially for the food. As a tip, forget jerk chicken and order Jerk pork instead.

We did a couple tours, Appleton Estates was the most interesting and the driver stopped at a local fish fry where they had fresh caught flounder deep fried to order and "pepper shrimp" which was stir fried head on shrimp with home made scotch bonnet sauce.

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    thanks for the response and suggestions!

what makes negril the "go to" over runaway bay or montego bay?

we thought about the luxury bahia principe cayo levantado, but is it really worth the extra cost? it looks AMAZING in the pictures, though.

basically, we just want to unwind and relax. although at the same time, some nice activities at night would be cool.

from what i've gathered so far, jamaica wins for the beaches and the food.
    There are some night activites as the public beach opens for the resort after dark. It is definitely a more relaxed vacation.

Food is top notch. Never had better AI food anywhere.

We got a free upgrade to a beach bungalow, was amazing.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

not really sure what you're talking about unless something has changed, but I've flown to MB Jamaica direct and so has my mom.

my mom just went in February and she can vouch that you are correct about Grand Palladium , she said it's the worst place she's ever been. shitty because it's supposed to be 5 star. she's been to at least 3 and they were all excellent other than Jamaica.

I can't remember where I stayed in MB but I loved it there.
    I've never seen a fight to Jamaica direct that wasn't a charter. It was the case when we booked this year as well. Sunwing/Signature/Sunquest go there direct, but the major airlines all went through Toronto this year every time I looked. I watched it for about a year before booking since the wedding we had to go to was booked so far in advance. I also imagine it's seasonal, but I was only looking at May. Travel agents told me the same, so if they were available I don't think they would be common or cheap.

Yup I am going to Jamaica for a wedding this fall. Only Charters fly direct from Calgary.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

A tip: if you fly in on a Saturday to Jamaica, pay for ClubMobay. It will save standing for up to 4hrs depending on how busy they are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast