Quantcast
Traffic Ticket noob question(s), demerits/fine/etc - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Traffic Ticket noob question(s), demerits/fine/etc

Default Traffic Ticket noob question(s), demerits/fine/etc

I don't get tickets very often, but when I do I have not idea what to do.
    Last time was like 3 year ago for not obeying a traffic sign or something like that. I went to the court house to see the justice. He chewed me out for showing up. All I know is everyone goes to get the fine or the points reduced. But he had none of that and told me pound sand (more or less).

Anyways, with this new ticket I just got two weeks ago, for running a yellow light. What's the protocol to get the fine reduced? Or am I probably wasting my time visiting the JP, especially if they're being a dick or having a bad day?

thanks.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Default Re: Traffic Ticket noob question(s), demerits/fine/etc

What section and subsection are listed on your ticket. Knowing that could help know how lenient they are likely to be.

Ticket says it is 53 (1)
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

In all likelihood your chances of success will depend on the additional notes written by the officer. For that ticket your best argument would be that you would not have been able to safely stop despite a functional car and acceptable speed approaching the intersection. Having said that, this is an offense I have not fought so I'm not sure of the success rate at getting it reduced. Best of luck.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Years ago, I got pulled over by a traffic cop and got two tickets in one go. One ticket for speeding and another for not obeying a traffic control device (running a yellow) just like yours. I went to the courthouse and spoke with a JP and I ended up having to talk in private because she had to review the video footage and said that I was definitely speeding so she didn't know what I wanted. I then presented my argument that I was not able to stop safely so I shouldn't get that ticket. She paused and said fine. I tried to push my luck and get the speeding reduced but she pretty much just said no because it was on film.

In the end, I had to pay for the speeding because they can prove that with the radar; however, the ticket for running the yellow was thrown out. They can't really prove that and even with video footage, if you felt that it was safer to go through the light, that is a lot easier to use as a defense.

In your situation, you don't have to worry about a speeding ticket but this might work against you because in the end, if you're argument is valid, they get no money from you whatsoever where as with me, they at least got one ticket's revenue.

Worst case Ontario, you go down, you present you case about not being able to stop safely and depending on what they say, you can go to trial and have an argument ready and call upon the crown to send you video footage if they some of you going through the light as well as the officer's notes. This will help you prepare. You can even make the JP aware of this and see if it will help sway her decision in your favor instead of letting this go to trial.

Keep in mind that this was YEARS ago so I'm not sure if the processes are the same but take it for what it's worth. If you feel you are truly innocent and went through a yellow light and weren't able to stop...I say, go for it man.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

- show up, dressed nice
    - show a remorseful attitude (they get so many kids in there who think they're shit hot)
    - a JP is addressed as "your worship", not "your honour"
    - keep your arguments simple. "Your worship, in my view it was safer to proceed through the yellow rather than to stop".