Natural Gas.

You drone dudes want your pilots wings?
    https://www.dronepilotwings.com
    Name:  wing-front.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  57.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Yeah that won't get confused for something else all together if you wear it around in public, lol
    Heil

Also friendly reminder to drone pilots that you have to get certified (exam) and registered your drone before June 1st.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...ne-safety.html
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-14-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Heil

Also friendly reminder to drone pilots that you have to get certified (exam) and registered your drone before June 1st.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...ne-safety.html
    With the upcoming 250 gram licensing limit, are most recreational drones over or under 250 grams?

Edit: After perusing drone selections available at Best Buy, it is readily apparent that pretty much any drone will surpass 250 grams. Question is, who will be enforcing these rules. CPS? Bylaw?
    Last edited by speedog; 04-14-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    With the upcoming 250 gram licensing limit, are most recreational drones over or under 250 grams?

Edit: After perusing drone selections available at Best Buy, it is readily apparent that pretty much any drone will surpass 250 grams. Question is, who will be enforcing these rules. CPS? Bylaw?
    NARC.

Yes. While there are some capable drones under 250g but they are too small for outdoors, none of the one with good photography gears onboard or long flight times are.

End of the day, until there is crazy advanced in batteries, you are not going to take a 750g Mavic Pro and take it under 250 grams and keep the same specs.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-15-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post

Many hobby drones are under 250g but probably not the ones you're thinking about (like DJI's drones used for photography/videography). You can modify a DJI Spark to be under 250g though, and the DJI/Ryze Tello is the most advanced drone under 250g with a usable camera.

Lots of drones under 250g fly great outdoors, most of them just have crappy cameras (or no camera), brushed motors, and range is usually 100m or less.

The license is a joke of an open book test you take online that anyone can easily pass so it's a complete non issue - just the money grab we all knew was coming (they suggest you go to "drone flight school" and you can take the test as many times as you want for $10 per try). I took the test with zero preparation and no research into what the test was like and got 80% on my first try in less than half the allotted time. If you want to spend more than 30 seconds googling before guessing, you will probably get 100% but there is no advantage in doing so. You get 90 minutes for 35 questions and only need to get 65% LOL. Most of it has nothing to do with drones either, I think they just pulled questions from a pilot exam or something - I literally did not learn a single thing about drone operation from the test.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-15-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Amazon prime air testing second gen delivery drones. Hexa copter enshrouded in what reminds me of the old style cube kites. Probably much more stable at vertical speed, but might be more prone to struggle with crosswinds. 1 to 5 pound deliveries could be done with nickels worth of electrical power, nickels.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Many hobby drones are under 250g but probably not the ones you're thinking about (like DJI's drones used for photography/videography). You can modify a DJI Spark to be under 250g though, and the DJI/Ryze Tello is the most advanced drone under 250g with a usable camera.

Lots of drones under 250g fly great outdoors, most of them just have crappy cameras (or no camera), brushed motors, and range is usually 100m or less.

The license is a joke of an open book test you take online that anyone can easily pass so it's a complete non issue - just the money grab we all knew was coming (they suggest you go to "drone flight school" and you can take the test as many times as you want for $10 per try). I took the test with zero preparation and no research into what the test was like and got 80% on my first try in less than half the allotted time. If you want to spend more than 30 seconds googling before guessing, you will probably get 100% but there is no advantage in doing so. You get 90 minutes for 35 questions and only need to get 65% LOL. Most of it has nothing to do with drones either, I think they just pulled questions from a pilot exam or something - I literally did not learn a single thing about drone operation from the test.
    I agree with this. I just finished taking the advanced exam, and it has ZERO relevance to actual drone flying.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    I helped a friend take the exam and there were questions on there about carburetor icing LOL....because drones must be running the same 1970s era Lycoming engines too haha
    LOL. I haven’t even flown a Cessna with a carb in a long, long time.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Transport Canada being decades behind the times? Nyoooo.

TC is such a pathetic fucking joke it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    I helped a friend take the exam and there were questions on there about carburetor icing LOL....because drones must be running the same 1970s era Lycoming engines too haha
    It's definitely just an old pilot exam. I had a question about making an approach to Montreal's airport haha. I had questions about cloud shapes. There were only 2 or 3 drone related questions on the whole exam, everything else was completely non-applicable in any way, shape, or form to drone flying.

Quote Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d View Post
    I agree with this. I just finished taking the advanced exam, and it has ZERO relevance to actual drone flying.
    Was it like the Basic just longer? If it's anything like the Basic exam it'll be a free pass being open book(internet). I want to try it as soon as I can find some time.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-17-2019 at 08:55 AM.

The DJI Mavic Mini that everyone knew was coming is getting announced in a couple days. It'll weigh 249g which means you can fly it (almost) anywhere and isn't subject to most of the regulations. Should be around $650 CAD, 3 axis gimbal, 2.7k video (weak), same 12MP 1/2.3" sensor as the Air, ~30min flight time, ~4Km range:

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The DJI Mavic Mini that everyone knew was coming is getting announced in a couple days. It'll weigh 249g which means you can fly it (almost) anywhere and isn't subject to most of the regulations. Should be around $650 CAD, 3 axis gimbal, 2.7k video (weak), same 12MP 1/2.3" sensor as the Air, ~30min flight time, ~4Km range:
    And anything above 2kph winds, it will be useless.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Mitsu, you ordered a Skydio 2 yet?

2.7K on Mavic Mini is a disappointment when a lot of pilots dropped off due to new rules around the world. 4K would have bring them back into the fold.... for better or for worse.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    And anything above 2kph winds, it will be useless.
    I disagree. I had the Mavic Air before I bought a Mavic 2 Pro and the Air is only 430g - it is rated to handle the exact same winds as the Mavic 2 Pro (38 KM/h). The brushless motors on these drones are very powerful. Even if the Mini is half that, it will be very acceptable. It's not hard at all to find days with sub 20km/h winds. Hell, even my 50-100g cheap Amazon drones can handle a breeze. Also, do you really think DJI would release a product that couldn't handle a bit of wind? The Spark is 300g and is rated to handle 28Km/h winds. You can mod the spark under 250g as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-28-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Mitsu, you ordered a Skydio 2 yet?
    I actually have no interest in Skydio's products, at least in their current form. The subject tracking on the M2P is better than what I will ever use it for (that is not how I typically use drones anyway), and the Mavic 2 is a much better product in virtually every other category. The Skydio is also using a 1/2.3" 12MP sensor which is OK for videos but quite poor for photos. It doesn't even fold up.

I can see the appeal for getting footage of yourself doing sports without a separate pilot, but it's not really my style.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I disagree. I had the Mavic Air before I bought a Mavic 2 Pro and the Air is only 430g - it is rated to handle the exact same winds as the Mavic 2 Pro (38 KM/h). The brushless motors on these drones are very powerful. Even if the Mini is half that, it will be very acceptable. It's not hard at all to find days with sub 20km/h winds. Hell, even my 50-100g cheap Amazon drones can handle a breeze. Also, do you really think DJI would release a product that couldn't handle a bit of wind? The Spark is 300g and is rated to handle 28Km/h winds. You can mod the spark under 250g as well.

Edit - I stand corrected, the drone has a 3 axis gimballed camera.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Edit - I stand corrected, the drone has a 3 axis gimballed camera.
    It has the Mavic Air camera but with 4K disabled by the looks of things.

It's missing most or all of the obstacle sensing, but that's not a big deal in this category and these things are so easy to fly you have to be grossly negligent to crash them. My 4 year old niece can fly my Mavic 2 lol.

Dropping 50g is not going to bring the wind rating from 28km/h to 2km/h - not even close. I'm guessing they will rate it for 28km/h (or close to it) just like the Spark. In practice, all of DJI's drones to date can handle higher winds than they are rated for, but obviously that is at your own risk and can effect battery life considerably.

Go on YouTube and watch drones vs leaf blowers haha - it's surprising what they can handle in a pinch.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-28-2019 at 02:35 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's missing most or all of the obstacle sensing, but that's not a big deal in this category and these things are so easy to fly you have to be grossly negligent to crash them. My 4 year old niece can fly my Mavic 2 lol.
    By the looks it, it's basically the original Mavic but smaller. Looks liking front and landing sensors are still there.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast