Quantcast
Drone discussion - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: Drone discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the looks it, it's basically the original Mavic but smaller. Looks liking front and landing sensors are still there.
    Hard to tell on the front (probably has them though), but you're right it looks like the bottom sensors are there still, which are the most important ones IMO. Even on the Mavic 2, the side sensors only work in certain modes because they work by comparing images, so they only work with slower or predictable movement. The front/rear/bottom sensors are stereoscopic and work in real time.

Disappointing they will leave out 4K though. They likely don't want to cannibalize Mavic Air sales but the Air still has a lot that this doesn't, and removing 4K wasn't the way to differentiate it IMHO. The best companies aren't afraid to cannibalize sales, and historically DJI hasn't been either (Mavic Air > Original Mavic Pro in most ways, and Mavic 2 Pro > Phantom 4 Pro in most ways), so I thought the 4K omission was especially weird on the Mini.

I would be REALLY excited if I could fly the Mini with my Smart Controler and buy it drone-only but it doesn't have Occusync 2.0 and likely would not work. Being able to toss the Mini in the same bag as the Pro to fly in areas where drones over 250g are normally not allowed would be a huge bonus if I could use the same remote.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Here it is right on time and the rumors were spot on. Looks pretty neutered, but can't really complain at 249g

2.7K / 40Mbps / H264 max
    No RAW (JPEG only)
    Same sensor as Mavic Air as expected (1/2.3", 12MP)
    24mm equivalent / F2.8 lens (83 degree FOV)
    4KM Range (same as Air)
    720p transmission
    0C-40C operating temp
    No obstacle sensors (ground only)
    30 min flight time
    Full range 3 axis gimbal
    46.8 Km/h max speed
    28 Km/h wind resistance (same as Spark)

4K and RAW would have been nice given that it's likely just firmware, but they must be scared about cannibalizeing Air sales.

https://www.dji.com/ca/mavic-mini/specs

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Here it is right on time and the rumors were spot on. Looks pretty neutered, but can't really complain at 249g

2.7K / 40Mbps / H264 max
    No RAW (JPEG only)
    4KM Range (same as Air)
    720p transmission
    0C-40C operating temp
    30 min flight time
    Full range 3 axis gimbal
    46.8 Km/h max speed

4K and RAW would have been nice given that it's likely just firmware, but they must be scared about cannibalizeing Air sales.

Other than not having to get a drone license, does it change where one can fly this drone?

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Other than not having to get a drone license, does it change where one can fly this drone?
    According to the rules on the transport Canada website there is zero restrictions for drones under 250g is I am reading it properly. Can someone confirm?
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    There are still restrictions they are just more relaxed. The 'blanket' rules for all remote controlled aircraft such as "no person shall operate a UAV in a such a reckless or negligent manner that it would endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person" still applies, and leaves room for interpretation by law enforcement.

No-drone zones are still no-drone zones such as National Parks.

VLOS rules still apply.

You don't need to register it nor do you need to take any exams (which are open book, impossible to fail, and have little to do with drones anyway). You can technically fly over/around people as well provided you aren't being reckless. The rules telling you to keep a certain distance from buildings/vehicles also don't apply under 250g, so you can fly it in your neighborhood, back yard, or whatever as long as you aren't endangering anyone or disrupting private property. Even right now you can fly almost any drone in fields/municipal parks so long as you keep away from cars, people and houses. I take my drones to the bigger school fields or soccer/baseball fields sometimes and fly (obviously when no kids are around) - I called both ByLaw and CPS and they said it was completely fine. I also keep printouts of current rules with me when I'm out flying.

Privacy rules still apply, so you still can't go flying into your neighbors window.

Alcohol/drug rules would still apply under "negligence".

This is the first sub-250g drone that is actually really capable, so it will be interesting to see where the dust settles. The general public has so many misconceptions about drones that you will probably still get the same complaints as if you were flying a Mavic, with people thinking you can see into their bedroom from 300ft in the air and around corners.

Long story short, the rules are basically "fly responsibly" with a sub-250g drone, and keep your distance from National Parks, private property, and Airports. Don't do anything that could potentially endanger people or aircraft.

It's also pretty loud, the smaller the props, the faster they have to turn to generate the same lift as a larger prop. That also means the noise will be higher pitched and likely perceived as more annoying to onlookers, so that combined with the relaxed rules is likely to generate more complaints, though you should be within your rights most of the time.

Some countries have essentially zero rules for drones under 250g or 500g, so there are going to be some interesting travel opportunities as well. I'm going to pick one up in the spring, pointless to buy one going into winter.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-31-2019 at 09:40 AM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

^ Thanks for the clarification.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    LNF

2.7K / 40Mbps / H264 max
    No RAW (JPEG only)
    4KM Range (same as Air)
    720p transmission
    0C-40C operating temp
    30 min flight time
    Full range 3 axis gimbal
    46.8 Km/h max speed

So do you think its worth the extra $ for the Air?

I am new to drones but would like to get one for travelling and doing videos; I am not professional video editor or anything like that. I have had my eyes on the Air for awhile but was waiting for a sale or something. In no rush to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    So do you think its worth the extra $ for the Air?

I am new to drones but would like to get one for travelling and doing videos; I am not professional video editor or anything like that. I have had my eyes on the Air for awhile but was waiting for a sale or something. In no rush to buy.
    Depends on your intended usage as well as your likely upgrade path. The Mini is a Spark replacement, aimed squarely at the ultra-beginner crowd or as a supplement to heavier drones like the Mavic 2. The Mini has a simplified app and features are stripped down quite a bit - the bulk of the value proposition has to do with the 249g weight to skirt regulations and offer long flight times.

The Air is a very capable drone and is roughly the same size as the Mavic Mini (slightly bigger folded, about same size unfolded, and it's thinner top to bottom), it just weighs more at a little over 400g. The Air basically replaced the original Mavic Pro save for a couple features.

The Air adds:

- 4K/30 or 1080P/120 video (vs 2.7K / 1080P/60)
    - A much higher video recording bitrate (100Mbps vs 40Mbps)
    - DCinelike profile, full manual control, and more automated shooting modes (the Mini has no manual control over videos, but it does for photos)
    - RAW shooting for still images (JPEG only on the Mini)
    - Faster maximum flying speeds (68.4 Km/h vs 46.8 Km/h)
    - Better wind resistance (38Km/h vs 28Km/h)
    - Higher service ceiling relative to sea level (5000m vs 3000m)
    - Built in 8GB storage in case you forget a micro SD card
    - Subject tracking/follow modes
    - Panorama mode (though it's easy to do manually)
    - Smart Capture (control the drone and trigger photos/recordings with hand gestures)
    - Unique design - much better design than the full sized Mavics, not sure why DJI doesn't use the Air's design in their larger or miniaturized drones, maybe it's coming later

Unique to the Mini (vs Air):

- 249g weight to skirt various regulations
    - Longer maximum flight time (30 mins vs 21 minutes), though in practice you always want to be landing at 20-30% battery remaining, so keep that in mind - actual flight times will be about 16 minutes for the Air and 22 minutes for the Mini in good conditions.
    - Cheaper
    - Same basic design as the original Mavics
    - Slightly smaller, but thicker
    - A Mini-specific app that has been heavily simplified at the expense of various features/manual controls
    - Folding props
    - You can charge it with a battery installed

Both Have
    - 3 Axis gimbal
    - 12MP 1/2.3" sensor
    - WiFi based control (not like your home WiFi) with 4KM maximum FCC Range
    - Same basic controller with removable sticks and that requires a smartphone or tablet for use (neither drone is compatible with DJI's Smart Controller, unfortunately)
    - Downward vision sensors
    - 24mm equivalent F2.8 fixed focus lenses (no aperture control or zoom)
    - 720p video transmission to your smartphone/tablet remote

The Air is no doubt a better overall drone, and both of them are about the same size for travel. You can fit an Air (even inside it's included hard case), and the entire fly-more combo in this bag which is extremely compact: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-sling-5

You can fly the Mini in places you can't fly the Air, so that is something to keep in mind. That being said, most places you will REALLY will want to fly are still probably going to be off limits, like National parks, and many popular tourist spots while traveling, etc.

If you think you might want to get the Mavic 2 Pro eventually, then the Mini makes a lot of sense to start with as they will compliment each other down the road. If you think you will just stick with one drone, then I would get the Air since if you get into the hobby at all, you will find the limitations of the Mini annoying very fast if you don't have something more capable.

Regardless of what you buy, 'professional' looking editing is easy with something like the LumaFusion app if you have an iPad. I think that scares some people away but it's super easy especially if you are just doing it for fun.

My Ride
    LNF

Awesome thanks for the tips! I think the Air still sounds like the better option for me for the 4k and automated shooting

I am definitely new to editing. I actually just got a ipad Pro so I am going to try out that LumaFusion.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Awesome thanks for the tips! I think the Air still sounds like the better option for me for the 4k and automated shooting

I am definitely new to editing. I actually just got a ipad Pro so I am going to try out that LumaFusion.
    No problem at all. The Air is a wicked starter drone, even if you do end up getting a Pro2 later down the road or something. There's a small chance it'll get replaced by something in 2020, but no rumors yet.

I suggest you buy the Fly More combo as it ends up being a really good deal with the extra props, 3 batteries, battery bank adapter, multi-charger, carry cases, etc.

If you buy it from Skymount drones (they moved beside Best Buy in Deerfoot Meadows) they will give you 5 or 10% off just for joining their Facebook group, might save you a few bucks. Black Friday is Nov 29 this year, you could wait to see what happens there too but I wouldn't expect anything too significant for a discount.

The editing is daunting at first but if you're doing basic iPad editing, you're all set if you have a Pro. I think LumaFusion is only $20 and that is the app you want. Grab one of these to use with a card reader and it's easy to import your footage from the micro SD card: https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Adapter...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You will probably want a set of these as well for video especially with the fixed aperture:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Pieces-...2558721&sr=8-8

If you feel like messing around or practicing before you buy, grab one of these and fly it around the house - it has the exact same controls as DJI's drones as well as all the same basic flight features including auto takeoff, auto land, prop idle, and altitude hold:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Tenergy-Headle...2559563&sr=8-5

Good to build some muscle memory before taking a "real" drone out, but they are pretty hard to crash.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me, I always like helping people get into the hobby.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-31-2019 at 04:07 PM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

The Air is a very capable drone and is roughly the same size as the Mavic Mini (slightly bigger folded, about same size unfolded, and it's thinner top to bottom), it just weighs more at a little over 400g. The Air basically replaced the original Mavic Pro save for a couple features.

The Air adds:
    Good info. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Good info. Thanks for posting.
    You're welcome.

Also now that a lot of the usual reviews are out, it's looking like the Mini might be one of the quietest DJI drones to date (71dB at 1 meter distance), which is a genuine surprise given the smaller prop size. DJI did use new custom made half-height brushless motors to keep weight/size down, which might have something to do with it. 71dB is roughly equivalent to the sound of a running shower.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-01-2019 at 10:35 AM.

My Ride
    LNF

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me, I always like helping people get into the hobby.
    Awesome, once again thanks!

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Whats the difference between flying a drone and flying a remote controlled helicopter outside in Calgary? Are RC Heli's allowed whereas drones are not.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Whats the difference between flying a drone and flying a remote controlled helicopter outside in Calgary? Are RC Heli's allowed whereas drones are not.
    As far as I know, none. But RC heli are quite a different animal compared to quads and most don't have FPV built-in so it's harder to have them leave your line of sight.

Again, I have see them flown in parks but I assume they are a lot less accessible than quads.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXt-uFYNVfL/

0 to 200 km/h in 1 second. Could do better IMO, especially if using a stationary launch supercapacitor.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    car

Bringing this back to life. Looking for opinion and recommendations

Want to pick up a drone for simple aerial photography during vacations. Nothing crazy but something small and light weight. Comparing the DJI mavic 2 vs Mini Pro 3. Besides the reviews our there is it worth the money to go with the Pro 3 or would the Mini 2 suffice for a beginner like me.

Lets hear your thoughts and suggestions

TIA

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8