Quantcast
Drone discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone discussion

Default Drone discussion

First off, i'll apologize if there's been a thread started on this recently but the transitiob to the new forum software has rendered the searches somewhat useless for the time being.

Anyhow, Transport Canada updated their recreational drone usage rules in April, 2017 and they are as follows...

Do not fly your drone
    • higher than 90 m above the ground
    • closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds
    • closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
    • within controlled or restricted airspace
    • within nine km of a forest fire
    • where it could interfere with police or first responders
    • at night or in clouds
    • if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
    • if you are not within 500 m of your drone
    • if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.

Bullet 2 pretty much kills it for most recreational users and I wonder how many recreational users follow the last bullet.

Link to associated TC web page.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

When they announced this, it pretty much killed off any hopes of getting a rec drone as a kids present. I have a friend who does real estate photos, and relied on his drone for exterior shots. To try to stay legal, he tried to apply for a license and apparently it's a 200+ page application or something silly. Suffice to say, he's not shooting using a drone anymore.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    something green

Isn't there a size or weight exemption ?
    Too loud for Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't there a size or weight exemption ?
    From TC's web site, above 250 gr and under 35 kg - that probably covers most recreational drones that one would be able to effectively fly outside.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

This is an interim Order as Transport Canada doesn't have the ability to create or amend a law. Some good information about this one in particular if you google.

I have a spark and it is on the border of the weight guidelines being 190g without battery and 288g with battery. With non folding blades you can get it down to 270ish and there is a few non essentials that can be removed to shave a few grams I am sure but I haven't been bothered to try. I figure once it gets released in canada on the 15th there will be a few youtube videos showing how to get it under the Canada Regulation weight.
    Last edited by Kavy; 06-11-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    This is an interim Order as Transport Canada doesn't have the ability to create or amend a law. Some good information about this one in particular if you google.

I have a spark and it is on the border of the weight guidelines being 190g without battery and 288g with battery. With non folding blades you can get it down to 270ish and there is a few non essentials that can be removed to shave a few grams I am sure but I haven't been bothered to try. I figure once it gets released in canada on the 15th there will be a few youtube videos showing how to get it under the Canada Regulation weight.
    Or wait for next gen. I'm sure it'll be under 250g by then. Canada invent nothing new, just follow US on the limit.

But the review on the Spark so far is typical of small drones, they don't have power to fight wind. Something that's going to be crucial for flying in Calgary. With each miniaturization, gimbal always took a hit. Phantom's gimbal is way better than Mavic's rubber mount and both are way better than Spark's 2 axis gimbal.

Yes, if the previous drone rule doesn't limit the hobby already, this one will kill it.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I find that the wind isn’t throwing it around but the battery on the other hand really suffers in medium wind bringing it down to around 10 minutes
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 11:33 PM.

My Ride
    G

Some of those rules are kind of wonky to me. Like what if a squirrel or something I can't see is within 75m of me, I'm now breaking the law. Plus the name, address and phone number on my drone I don't follow, if they made some sort of database I would gladly register that way. The way the interim rules are I don't even bother flying my drone in Canada. I just use it when I'm on vacation.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

How high can these fucken things fly?? I almost smoked one coming out of Seattle this afternoon, and we were already climbing through 7400 feet! Can they really go that high?? Watched it getting bigger and bigger in the windshield until it finally whizzed past us on the right. Best I could tell it was 18-24" big and bright red in colour. At 240 knots it could have done some serious damage.

Now the FAA is involved as well as transport Canada, and I have a lot of forms to fill out. Why do idiots insist on flying these things close to airports for fucks sake? And who needs a drone capable of going that high anyways?

/rant

My Ride
    Nothing

meh, i doubt most people care.

just don't crash into an airplane or helicopter and you'll be fine.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by M.alex View Post
    meh, i doubt most people care.

just don't crash into an airplane or helicopter and you'll be fine.
    My neighbours have a couple of the small ones they fly around all the time, about the size of a frisbee, they never let them get too far away or very high, maybe 50 feet at the most..
    One day there was a big one that was up over the area, looked about 3 feet in diameter. It was overhead for about maybe 2 minutes and the RCMP showed up and tried to follow it, not sure who phoned it in but they had a few cars out chasing it.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Additionally this kills the long time recreational model airplane hobbyist, as they are classifying RC helicopters, and Airplanes along with multi rotor drones.

90M ceiling for RC airplanes is very limited.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I think you are going to start seeing smaller, quieter, and stealthier drones so people can skirt these rules.
    quieter drones would be nice.
    I love drone videos and pictures but to be honest the main thing that immediately turned me off from drones is the loud buzzing sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JC522 View Post
    Some of those rules are kind of wonky to me. Like what if a squirrel or something I can't see is within 75m of me, I'm now breaking the law. Plus the name, address and phone number on my drone I don't follow, if they made some sort of database I would gladly register that way. The way the interim rules are I don't even bother flying my drone in Canada. I just use it when I'm on vacation.
    having a database would be nice but a nightmare to manage, let's say that a form gets filled up when you purchase a drone but what happens if you bought it outside of canada or when you resell your drone and the new owner fails to register the drone under their name and crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    How high can these fucken things fly?? I almost smoked one coming out of Seattle this afternoon, and we were already climbing through 7400 feet! Can they really go that high?? Watched it getting bigger and bigger in the windshield until it finally whizzed past us on the right. Best I could tell it was 18-24" big and bright red in colour. At 240 knots it could have done some serious damage.

Now the FAA is involved as well as transport Canada, and I have a lot of forms to fill out. Why do idiots insist on flying these things close to airports for fucks sake? And who needs a drone capable of going that high anyways?

/rant
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/flig...ane-collision/

My Ride
    Bicycle

/rant
    5km, so theoretically, 16000 feet from operator in any direction. Realistically, I had clear line and a clear day, I had it at 3km (horizontally over a lake) before video signal start to suffer. Unless you have eagle vision, you are flying FPV anything over 100m.

Your experience is why this hobby is going to die. People keep on disobeying the rules (including myself on a few occasions on the line of sight one)

At this point, I feel that only safe flying is over body of waters or wilderness where population is sparse. But anything that's geographically significant, there will be people around it and drone would be a no go.

But the strict rules will mean there will be more guerrilla style flying:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ghts-1.4143301
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-12-2017 at 08:32 AM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I honestly had no idea drones could even fly that high. I hate to think that there are people out there intentionally flying closer and closer to airplanes intentionally just to capture some air to air footage..

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I honestly had no idea drones could even fly that high. I hate to think that there are people out there intentionally flying closer and closer to airplanes intentionally just to capture some air to air footage..
    The wind that high up makes flying a drone extremely difficult and the video would have tones of jello in it making it rather useless. There will always be those jackasses that ruin it for everyone else unfortunately.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://petapixel.com/2016/03/10/idi...0-feet-clouds/

11000 feet, it will take the whole battery pack to do it.

I won't be surprised people try this just to see if they can.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-12-2017 at 11:34 AM.

So nothing has changed then, you still can't fly a drone anywhere you would actually want to, and the rules are so broad you can be fined for virtually anything. Using them responsibly and for legit business purposes (i.e. real estate photography) is pretty well impossible.

Past rules never stopped people from bringing them to highly public areas and being as annoying as possible (I see them regularly in Prince's Island buzzing the geese & their babies, nobody does anything about it), so I don't think these new ones will either. By the time any authority gets around to responding to a drone call, the user will be long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    The wind that high up makes flying a drone extremely difficult and the video would have tones of jello in it making it rather useless. There will always be those jackasses that ruin it for everyone else unfortunately.
    Flying quad copters is damn easy. Try flying a 120sr in wind haha, no power, super light. Harder to fly in wind than my 130. Don't know how people flying the typical 4 rotor drones get into hairy situations. They are literally the tricycle of RC flying

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast