Quantcast
Best way to wipe/erase hard disk before laptop donation? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to wipe/erase hard disk before laptop donation?

Default Best way to wipe/erase hard disk before laptop donation?

Hey guys, I'm donating a laptop and want to totally wipe the hard disk first as it contains lots of personal information. Can anyone recommend easy free Windows software for doing this? Preferably something I don't have to install (simple *.exe would be best). Thanks

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Dban is easy, just have to create boot media, boot it and go.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

My Ride
    rally pig

I use cccleaner and run the complex overwrite (7 passes)

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Bleachbit

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

On a related note, I bought a used laptop from 780Tuners. Computers been brought back to factory specs. Anything I should do before I use it and put in personal info/banking stuff
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I use DBAN as well. Painless, proven to work.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a related note, I bought a used laptop from 780Tuners. Computers been brought back to factory specs. Anything I should do before I use it and put in personal info/banking stuff
    If it comes with a Windows 7/8 key on the device, wipe the HD, download the Windows 10 media and rebuild from scratch if you worry about there factory image has spyware or something.

Sledgehammer. I wouldn't donate my hard disk with traces of personal information on it. You can donate the PC and they can buy a new HDD (or if inclined buy them a new HDD and donate it.)

Quote Originally Posted by FixedGear View Post
    Hey guys, I'm donating a laptop and want to totally wipe the hard disk first as it contains lots of personal information. Can anyone recommend easy free Windows software for doing this? Preferably something I don't have to install (simple *.exe would be best). Thanks
    Is it a SSD or HDD?

If it's an SSD, none of the suggestions above will be effective.

My Ride
    is broken

Man you guys are way to paranoid.

Just wipe the drive with the above tools and call it done. If your really worried, wipe the drive then fill it with a dummy file the same size as the drive. Even if someone could recover your MBR the files containing your passwords are also encrypted again.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Man you guys are way to paranoid.

Just wipe the drive with the above tools and call it done. If your really worried, wipe the drive then fill it with a dummy file the same size as the drive. Even if someone could recover your MBR the files containing your passwords are also encrypted again.
    LOL.

Want to hear a story about a time I sold a freshly-formatted PC only to be blackmailed with what the buyer felt were incriminating photos?

Now I physically destroy the hard drive. Fuck that.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    LOL.

Want to hear a story about a time I sold a freshly-formatted PC only to be blackmailed with what the buyer felt were incriminating photos?

Now I physically destroy the hard drive. Fuck that.

Do tell....
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

LOL.

A format doesn't erase the files, just the file's address. Any recovery program can retrieve those files as long as they haven't been overwritten.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Do tell....
    TL;DR

Sold a PC with a hard drive (formatted before sale). On the hard drive were pics of my wife and I smoking pot.

Dude e-mails me three days later with the pics, says he'll spread 'em around online unless I give him some cash.

I laughed at him. I have a prescription- do what you will. I don't care.

Also, cops. Apparently blackmail/extortion is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    A format doesn't erase the files, just the file's address. Any recovery program can retrieve those files as long as they haven't been overwritten.
    Yep.

You know what else erases files pretty effectively? A sledgehammer. Hard drives are cheap- why bother wasting time cleaning them out?

Yep.

You know what else erases files pretty effectively? A sledgehammer. Hard drives are cheap- why bother wasting time cleaning them out?
    That's what I do. 100% effective in more ways than one

We get them shredded now.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I usually wipe them before drilling a couple holes through them, then just toss in the trash. I haven't done it to an SSD yet - that might just be a sledgehammer when the time comes.

But I tend to agree with the majority sentiments above - the best way to be sure is to pull the drive & physically destroy it. Most software scrubbers are PROBABLY sufficient to deal with 90% of the buyers out there, but the question becomes - how willing are you to take your chances that your buyer is in the 90% rather than the devious 10%....

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Lets make a few things clear:

- quick FORMAT, this is what is typically done when installing Windows as a regular format can take hours to complete. Simply wipes the root structure of the disk, but the files are still intact and can be recovered easily with a program if they are not overwritten by the Windows install

- regular FORMAT, takes several hours but data is somewhat recoverable (although will take considerably more time)

- WIPE, fills the disk with various combination of hex, letters or numbers. This is done with the intention of further obfuscating the disk logical structure. These can progress into Military-level sessions that can take days to perform randomized operations, or at the easiest level, 1s and 0s.

Personally, I've always used a regular format for most rebuilds. If I had my own personal info, definitely wipe.
    Destroying a drive is for secret agents - we are sharing so much info online already that its moot what a HDD has, if its been wiped.

My Ride
    Busa

I thought I would chime in with an additional tip on SSD's, since I think most of us are using them now. Most modern SSD's encrypt your data before storing it on physical flash memory. This is done using a symmetric encryption key generated at the factory and stored within the drive. Instead of attempting to overwrite the existing data (ie. traditional secure erase), which is less effective with modern wear-leveling technology, it's much easier to simply erase the old encryption key and generate a new one. This is achieved using the ATA Secure Erase command. After the encryption key is lost/replaced the old data is completely unrecoverable.

A Linux-live USB key is the easiest way to do this. Instructions here: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Many USB-live recovery/partition tools are also capable of ATA secure erase, such as PartedMagic: https://partedmagic.com/

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Related but what is a reliable way of selling a HDD while ensuring the likelihood of someone recovering the deleted data to be pretty damn slim?
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast