Quantcast
Bike build and maintenance - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike build and maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    on a completely smooth surface, higher tire pressure is better.
    It's when you have these small bumps where there's a difference. The Velonews article says they found the same conclusion

Guess "rough surface" is subjective. If you're used to riding on freshly paved tarmac vs a bike path, the bike path would be considered a rough surface. If you're riding on rollers vs freshly paved tarmac, then the tarmac will be considered rough.
    Yea the sibjectivity is what’s getting me. The last line of that is key, when I’m riding on the highway shoulder I am not moving vertically at all, the imperfections in the road surface are all absorbed by either the tire (even at 100+ psi) or the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post

So to summarize...what psi should i run my tires at on most road/pathway conditions. 170 lbs. 25 mm on roadie, 30s on commuter
    Yea I’m about the intelligence of a 5 year old so I need a similar explaination haha

My Ride
    '14 Taco

for speed obviously. Cat-6 racer here

My Ride
    Wankels!

140psi on the 30mm. 170psi on the 25mm. Assuming you're riding on a surface with a maximum imperfection of 10 microns.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Exchanging all my tires to trainer tires for additional pressure..got it

My Ride
    Wankels!

To actually answer your question - I'd run 70-90 psi on the 30mm, 90-110 psi on the 25mm. That's only based on what I "feel" works for me, no scientific justification behind it.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    To actually answer your question - I'd run 70-90 psi on the 30mm, 90-110 psi on the 25mm. That's only based on what I "feel" works for me, no scientific justification behind it.
    I read the sidewall, and run on the higher end for all my commuters. Race bikes, I run 95-100 in my 25s. Race weight is 175lbs. (also watch your tire pressure if riding in hot temps)

Otherwise just work on the engine and realize tire pressure 5psi one way or the other isn't going to make much difference.
    With that being said, I'm paranoid and always bring my own pump to races because it is the only one I trust.

My Ride
    Wankels!

I bring my own pump and a backup digital pressure gauge to cx races because my floor pump is ridiculously inaccurate. When you're running sub 30 psi tire pressure and your pump reads 12psi lower than actual you learn your lesson quickly

Anyone have any unique ideas for smartphone mounting?

Trying to come up with something for my road bike. I have a small top tube bag that i’d Like to keep so I’d prefer to avoid using a top tube mount (I currently have the phone in the top tube bag as it has a clear cover for phones but pressing buttons is too difficult and it’s hard to see the screen)

I also seem to prefer top tube descending. For me it seems to be the fastest and most comfortable. This would also mean a top tube mount likely wouldn’t work and I can’t have a standard stem mount as when I top tube decent I’m essentially laying my chest down on the stem.

The only thing I can think of is taking a quad lock handle bar mount, pulling it apart and inverting it so that the phone sits below the handlebars if that makes sense ( as my head/chin hangs over the bars a bit when descending).

https://www.amazon.ca/Quad-Lock-Moto...lock+handlebar

Anyone have any other ideas?
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-26-2018 at 10:55 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I used this for a while before I bought a garmin.
    https://www.niteize.com/product/HandleBand.asp
    Not sure if MEC still carries it. I don't use it anymore. If I can find it you can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    I used this for a while before I bought a garmin.
    https://www.niteize.com/product/HandleBand.asp
    Not sure if MEC still carries it. I don't use it anymore. If I can find it you can have it.
    Yea I’ve got that one too, until I saw your link I had no idea it had a bottle opener haha.

Not sure I could mount that though in a way that wouldn’t interfere with descents

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Out front mount would be the best for everything. Time for a bike computer.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

or a watch..that'd fix it

Curious for what my first 'upgrade' on my Ghost should be. For reference: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-2...LC-X-5-Bicycle

Everyone says wheels first, so what should i be looking at? It currently has Fulcrum Racing Sport DB's on it, which seem pretty entry level. Or am i just throwing money at an entry level frame?

Quad lock makes an out front mount. But I agree with lilmira, time for a bike computer!

As for wheels, they're interchangeable between bikes, so I wouldn't think twice about "throwing money at en entry level frame".

Haha yea might be time for a computer. Just hard to justify right now for my low level of riding. Strava premium seems to give me 98% of what I need right now. I know it’s been reported the gps accuracy of an iPhone doesn’t seem to be as good as a proper computer but close enough for me right now haha.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    or a watch..that'd fix it

Curious for what my first 'upgrade' on my Ghost should be. For reference: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-2...LC-X-5-Bicycle

Everyone says wheels first, so what should i be looking at? It currently has Fulcrum Racing Sport DB's on it, which seem pretty entry level. Or am i just throwing money at an entry level frame?
    i would definitely recommend upgrading your wheels to a full carbon set. it for sure makes the bike faster and is aesthetically way cooler.

check flo rims, they're really good value when compared to the other big box brands. buh_buh has a set and can speak to how it rides etc. seems like they have demo clearance right now: https://flocycling.com/store_blemish.php

but how i would do the upgrades would be:

1) trip computer - garmin 520 with sensors. i think monitoring HR is very important, to get an idea of your riding zones etc.
    2) wheels
    3) power meter

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    1) trip computer - garmin 520 with sensors. i think monitoring HR is very important, to get an idea of your riding zones etc.
    2) wheels
    3) power meter
    Ya i've got a Fenix 5X with HR, Cadence and Speed... power meter is on the wish list

My Ride
    Wankels!

but how i would do the upgrades would be:

2) wheels
    3) power meter
    I agree with this list. I like Fulcrum wheels a lot, they're great value for money. I've been using the Fulcrum Racing Quattros for around 20,000km now and love them. They do a disc version now (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod166434).

Power meter is nice to have if you're serious about training. Either way I would have cranks on the list as the Gossamers are pretty heavy. I'd get a 4iiii 105 crank to match the rest of your drivetrain - I love mine and they're good value. Chain rings for the 5800 series are expensive though.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    I agree with this list. I like Fulcrum wheels a lot, they're great value for money. I've been using the Fulcrum Racing Quattros for around 20,000km now and love them. They do a disc version now (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod166434).

Power meter is nice to have if you're serious about training. Either way I would have cranks on the list as the Gossamers are pretty heavy. I'd get a 4iiii 105 crank to match the rest of your drivetrain - I love mine and they're good value. Chain rings for the 5800 series are expensive though.
    Good advice. Grab the 4iiii. I've run 5 or 6 different power meters and have had the most success with 4iiii. I had lots of zero power drops on the garmin vectors, stages were good but flaky at times, hub based options were nice but pricey.

i would definitely recommend upgrading your wheels to a full carbon set. it for sure makes the bike faster and is aesthetically way cooler.

check flo rims, they're really good value when compared to the other big box brands. buh_buh has a set and can speak to how it rides etc. seems like they have demo clearance right now: https://flocycling.com/store_blemish.php
    I'm a big fan of the Flo wheels. These guys are very transparent when it comes to their aero testing process, and are very active on Slowtwitch, answering any questions forum members have about their wheels and their process.
    They don't claim to be the best, but to be in the upper echelon while costing half the price. That combined with their transparency makes me trust them. And they're Canadian haha.

The only thing I don't like about them is they have silver spokes just purely for aesthetics. They say they use silver spokes to cut down on cost, so whatever. Would just be nice if they had the option for black. But very good value wheels.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'll prob look at a pair of them for the new year... look solid.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast