Quantcast
Bike build and maintenance - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike build and maintenance

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a brilliant idea! There's been more than a few times when I bought something only for someone else here to say afterwards they had one sitting around collecting dust.

I bet @CLiVE and @lilmira have lots of stuff sitting around haha
    haha let me look. I don't think I have much spare hardware anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    just to clarify, your customer had the fsa gossamer crank and then you installed a left sided fsa energy PM? out of interest what are the details on your ultegra crank and 4iiii PM. i know the earlier gen 4iiii units had issues with water resistance etc.

thanks man, i had a look. not sure if it would be compatible because of 386evo config vs mine is BB30 (unless get adapters etc). if the stages fsa energy left PM works with my current setup i'm tempted to do that, least amount of hassle and available at MEC.
    I wasn't aware that 4iiii had issues with water ingress, Stages definitely did when they first came out but they changed their seals and that shouldn't be an issue anymore. And yes, that was the exact situation, they had a gossamer crank and we paired up the Stages FSA energy crank arm with it as they are both alloy arms and should ride similarly.

pm'd about my 6800.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

That's a brilliant idea! There's been more than a few times when I bought something only for someone else here to say afterwards they had one sitting around collecting dust.

I have a lot of parts right now left over from my builds over the last few years. I'm just really lazy selling stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    tech question for you bike geeks...

this is my el cheapo spare parts bike buildup hardtail for a vintage Gary Fisher G2 29er frame:

Tubeless rim conversion running 2.35 tires
    40mm stem (down from the 110 crazy long one)
    Vintage BB7 mech brakes
    SRAM attack shifters on a SLX front der and older XT 760 rear der 3x9 (well 2x9 as I Did a bashguard for the 3rd chain ring)
    Reverb post
    new Fisik saddle and new cranbros mallets

two questions:

1. Is it worth while to upgrade to a newerish XT derailleur from this vintage XT 760 9 speed? Or should I just save my cash and do a 1x conversion next year to a SLX/XT 1x11?

2. Cranks... I have a Raceface crank I want to put on, and this thing still has a vintage crank with a square taper internal hub... Is it as simple as removing it, getting a hollowtech BB and using the spacers to make sure it fits on the shell? (i.e. using the spacer from 68-73?)
    Edit...

Answered my own question... installed an XT 9 speed MD-772 and put a new cassette/chain on just refresh the driveline

Crank, well mine was a 68... pulled out the old internal sealed square taper, put on a new race face BB, new crank simple as that... and its a 2x

So this old Gary G2 niner is now like a franken bike with a 2x9 and reasonably decent parts to be a half decent XC singletrack bike

the bike mechs I talked to say the frame is classic and that the Avid BB7's are the most solid mech brakes and not to bother with any further upgrades for this bike.

I'm going to look for a new Enduro with about 140mm travel and a GX or SLX drivetrain for next season when my knee is better
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 05-08-2019 at 11:47 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

^sounds like a nice daily/beater bike. and yeah the BB7 are probably one of the best mech disc brakes out there.

you could easily go 1x9 or 1x10 down the road.
    2 of my bikes are 1x10 and are perfect in the city (42 + 12-30t and 40 + 11-28t)

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Good idea. I have a ton of parts. Enough to build a few spare bikes (plus 17 or 18? bikes) - very tough for me to find the time to sell them during training season (and coincidentally when people are looking for it).
    Last edited by CLiVE; 05-09-2019 at 03:57 PM.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Name:  7FBA6B81-1E98-4ABD-8D48-0E709E748077.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  33.0 KBNoob question but I just tried to change my rear cassette on my commuter that’s seen 2 winters. The cassette was stuck with salt. Managed to get most of the rings off but the freehub looks in bad shape. And can’t get the last 3 rings off.

what do I need if I wanted to order online or pop into mec? Do I just need a free hub?

Did you take apart your wheel?

In terms of removing a salty cassette, try giving it a spray down with 50/50 water and vinegar. Should help dissolve the salt so you can side the cassette off.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Merlin was flawless, no customs charges or anything either. Ended up getting pedals and 4 premium tubes, plus $10 in my wallet for the same price as an on-sale item +gst in Canada. Thanks again for mentioning them!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    07 997TT

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    Did you take apart your wheel?

In terms of removing a salty cassette, try giving it a spray down with 50/50 water and vinegar. Should help dissolve the salt so you can side the cassette off.
    I tried removing the cassette first but couldn’t so just unscrewed it from the other side and that’s the pic I posted. Bunch of other pplhave had a similar issue googling it. Aluminum freehub is softer than the cassette I guess. Pulse our winters don’t help I’m guessing.
    Is that freehub salvageable or should I get a new better one?

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by 997TT View Post
    I tried removing the cassette first but couldn’t so just unscrewed it from the other side and that’s the pic I posted. Bunch of other pplhave had a similar issue googling it. Aluminum freehub is softer than the cassette I guess. Pulse our winters don’t help I’m guessing.
    Is that freehub salvageable or should I get a new better one?

if you have vinegar and rubbing alcohol mix the 2 first and try spraying some on the stuck cassette
    last resort i would try something like this
    Last edited by taemo; 05-09-2019 at 08:11 PM.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Merlin was flawless, no customs charges or anything either. Ended up getting pedals and 4 premium tubes, plus $10 in my wallet for the same price as an on-sale item +gst in Canada. Thanks again for mentioning them!
    Yes. They are awesome. Waiting for my new saddle but it seems like it's stuck in Ontario and there's Canada post warning around that area due to flooding. Might buy MTB shoes from them for the Gravel bike as Fiziks are on sale now too. Just need to try Fizik shoes in a local store here as shoes usually have different fit.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    07 997TT

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    if you have vinegar and rubbing alcohol mix the 2 first and try spraying some on the stuck cassette
    last resort i would try something like this
    Thanks man. Don’t have 2 chain whips or a vice I can set the cassette on. But that would work for sure. Looking at the splines and they are all corroded and mangled from the cassette digging. Prob just best I replace it.

Thanks man. Don’t have 2 chain whips or a vice I can set the cassette on. But that would work for sure. Looking at the splines and they are all corroded and mangled from the cassette digging. Prob just best I replace it.
    You can really use any 2 level surfaces if you are going to use a block of wood and a rubber mallet to hammer it out. Tops of 2 chairs, pile of wood or books would probably work. I would let some vinegar soak in few minutes and then use a penetration oil right up against the splines.

Side note, if you're getting that much salt in there you might want to try to wash your bike a bit more next winter. I'm guilty of not washing my bike enough but I've never had a cassette stuck on there that badly before.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Good point. Need to clean the drivetrain a lot more thoroughly. Looking at freehub replacements and shit ain’t cheap!

My Ride
    Canyonero

Good point. Need to clean the drivetrain a lot more thoroughly. Looking at freehub replacements and shit ain’t cheap!
    Time to go singlespeed on the commuter then?

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    ....if its too good to be true.

....said no true cyclist ever. lol N+1
    Well I'm truly living that. I've got 5 bikes and a frame I'm building up right now for a 6th. And I live in a condo.

On a similar note and in the spirit of the bike build thread, got this in the mail yesterday

Name:  BA81FF6D-FC7F-45E0-B7A6-9B53F4B8B0E6.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  28.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    Well I'm truly living that. I've got 5 bikes and a frame I'm building up right now for a 6th. And I live in a condo.

On a similar note and in the spirit of the bike build thread, got this in the mail yesterday

Name:  BA81FF6D-FC7F-45E0-B7A6-9B53F4B8B0E6.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  28.8 KB
    Di2 nice... Does the cardboard box have the "retail" box inside? or did you order this as an entire groupset hence the packaging?

I've ordered bits and pieces to upgrade mechanical disc to hydraulic, mine came in retail looking boxes.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

di2 is a luxury that becomes a necessity once you've had it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Di2 nice... Does the cardboard box have the "retail" box inside? or did you order this as an entire groupset hence the packaging?

I've ordered bits and pieces to upgrade mechanical disc to hydraulic, mine came in retail looking boxes.
    They just came in those boxes. Purchased as an 11 speed gear kit (plus crankset separately), which is supposed to be more of a di2 upgrade from mech than a full on groupset. Hopefully I don't end up spending more than I would normally. Figured I didn't need the brakes or cassette and tried saving myself a couple bucks. Upgrading to the Bluetooth and bar end junction box is proving to be more expensive than I thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    di2 is a luxury that becomes a necessity once you've had it.
    I'm scared I'm going to want it on all my bikes.

BTW looks like that Rove is gone. Was a 52cm so it was a possibility, but someone snagged it before I had a chance. Would've been happy to replace my commuter with that.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast