Quantcast
Bike build and maintenance - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike build and maintenance

My Ride
    rally pig

depends on your leg strength, tire size and terrain/riding you are looking to do.

42,44 or 48 on the front and pick between 14-19 on the back.
    Last edited by taemo; 08-25-2020 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What gearing combination do you recommend on a single speed setup around bike paths in the city? It will help me on my MTB single speed build
    I think I run a 38-18 on my cyclocross setup. It allows me to clear COP and ride pathways at 26-27km/h. That would probably be OK for a mountain bike singlespeed setup for pathways, due to more rolling resistance. If you're building a single speed mountain bike setup for trails you'll want to go much easier on gearing. I'm happiest spinning an easy gear, so 30-22 is what I used for the Salty Dog endurance race (6.5? hrs) a few years back, with 29" wheels.
    Best bet is to look at the gearing calc that ercchry posted though. I'm 160lbs, so I don't have as much body weight to push a large gear at low cadence as someone that's 190lbs.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    depends on your leg strength, tire size and terrain/riding you are looking to do.

42,44 or 48 on the front and pick between 14-19 on the back.
    I run 46/17 on mine. Haven't found a hill in the city I can't get up yet.
    Ride up and over nose hill from downtown daily, and have ridden sandy beach / edworthy. Was painful at first though.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Name:  118279903_10158719018219820_6973169185299366637_n.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  175.8 KB

Sanded down project bike #3 this weekend; 80 grit then 400 grit wet sanding. A little bit more this long weekend and if the weather cooperates, should be ready for painting. Had a parts bike where I salvaged a lot of parts to go with this one but the brake assembly was cracked

I'm LF for following:

- 46T front chainring (5 bolt)
    - 18T freewheel cog
    - Saddle
    - Cantilever brake/V-brake assembly and levers

Meanwhile, project bike #2 is just missing some new tires/wheels which is coming this weekend.

Project bike #1 got put through the paces yesterday,

Name:  118482138_10158719966814820_5039455608488258565_n.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  67.2 KB

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Hi I'm looking for some opinions/options/potential hookups on wheelsets. Currently commute with a Kona Jake the Snake (https://2015.konaworld.com/jake_the_snake.cfm), really only in fair weather, majority on paths/road though will venture off occasionally so I thought there would be some benefit to a lighter/aero (carbon?) disc clincher wheelset vs the current stock set. I don't want to spend a ton and nothing really seems suitable on Kijiji/Pinkbike. Maybe some deals around during the off season. I would plan to keep my current tires (32mm Conti GP 4season) and cassette Shimano 105 11-28. Merci!

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    Hi I'm looking for some opinions/options/potential hookups on wheelsets. Currently commute with a Kona Jake the Snake (https://2015.konaworld.com/jake_the_snake.cfm), really only in fair weather, majority on paths/road though will venture off occasionally so I thought there would be some benefit to a lighter/aero (carbon?) disc clincher wheelset vs the current stock set. I don't want to spend a ton and nothing really seems suitable on Kijiji/Pinkbike. Maybe some deals around during the off season. I would plan to keep my current tires (32mm Conti GP 4season) and cassette Shimano 105 11-28. Merci!
    don't know your budget but for about 700$, these have been a great for me. currently running them on my Rove for summer riding
    https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collec...-28deep-22wide
    crazy how riding feels much better with a lighter wheelset even if you are just talking 200-300g difference.

other than Hunt, other wheelset I have my eyes on is Winspace if you dont mind chinese wheelsets
    https://www.winspace.cc/wheels/road-wheels.html

My Ride
    Macan GTS

don't know your budget but for about 700$, these have been a great for me. currently running them on my Rove for summer riding
    https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collec...-28deep-22wide
    crazy how riding feels much better with a lighter wheelset even if you are just talking 200-300g difference.

other than Hunt, other wheelset I have my eyes on is Winspace if you dont mind chinese wheelsets
    https://www.winspace.cc/wheels/road-wheels.html
    Thanks, the Hunts actually look pretty good and the price point is great at $700. Do you think it's worth to pay extra for the carbon version? Only 50g weight savings though.

Any comments on a comparable Flo product? Seems heavier but I'm not sure if they can be directly compared. Also with the Flo they are only centerlock disc brake compatible so would need to change my rotors. https://flocycling.com/products/flo-30-disc-limited

Thanks, the Hunts actually look pretty good and the price point is great at $700. Do you think it's worth to pay extra for the carbon version? Only 50g weight savings though.

Any comments on a comparable Flo product? Seems heavier but I'm not sure if they can be directly compared. Also with the Flo they are only centerlock disc brake compatible so would need to change my rotors. https://flocycling.com/products/flo-30-disc-limited
    Get some adapters instead.

My Ride
    rally pig

my next wheelset might be carbon but only because I want to run deeper rims, like 35-40.

the Hunt wheels I bought were center-lock but comes with adapter to take standard 6 bolt.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Send me a PM if you want a F&F discount code. Should be good for ~20% off. Riding with Flo Factory team this 'season'....Was not a huge fan of the previous gen FLO wheels, but they continue to improve and I've been quite impressed.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 10-28-2020 at 10:51 AM.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

my next wheelset might be carbon but only because I want to run deeper rims, like 35-40.

the Hunt wheels I bought were center-lock but comes with adapter to take standard 6 bolt.
    The Hunt 34 AWD has almost uniformly great reviews! Seems like it would be perfect for the commuting rig. Price point good too, tempted to pull the trigger. How does the freehub sound? Any other issues or thoughts?

Anyone know or have a discount code that I can apply at check out?
    Last edited by kJUMP; 11-01-2020 at 08:13 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

The Hunt 34 AWD has almost uniformly great reviews! Seems like it would be perfect for the commuting rig. Price point good too, tempted to pull the trigger. How does the freehub sound? Any other issues or thoughts?

Anyone know or have a discount code that I can apply at check out?
    rode my Rove with the Hunt wheels today.
    freehub sounds like this

some people might not like it but I got used to it after my previous wheel being silent and wish all my wheels were this loud.
    it's useful for commuting so that people hears you coming

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Got the 34AWD wheels within a week of ordering and just fitted them! Was fairly straightforward, though I blew a tube during the install. Think my lever must've pinched it as I was fiddling to mount it on the rim. Loving the freehub sound, totally different pitch than my Mavic carbons. Can't wait to go for a ride tomorrow!!

Name:  PXL_20201205_014117634.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  118.0 KBName:  PXL_20201205_014126474.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  60.7 KB

My Ride
    Canyonero

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I miss my 2015 Jake. What a great bike.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I miss my 2015 Jake. What a great bike.
    do you find the Jake better than the Rove? Love my Rove but haven't had much time riding a Jake other than the one I bought from you couple of years ago but I was still a newbie back then.

Got the 34AWD wheels within a week of ordering and just fitted them! Was fairly straightforward, though I blew a tube during the install. Think my lever must've pinched it as I was fiddling to mount it on the rim. Loving the freehub sound, totally different pitch than my Mavic carbons. Can't wait to go for a ride tomorrow!!

Name:  PXL_20201205_014117634.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  118.0 KBName:  PXL_20201205_014126474.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  60.7 KB
    nice, looks great! curious to see if there's any difference in riding between a 26 and 34. did you ride it today?

Took the Rove out for a quick ride as I quickly changed it from a 2x10 to 1x10 since I'm looking to upgrade it to 1x11 next year.
    42t + 11-32 seems to be good enough for me but might leave some slack on the chain in case I want to go 11-36. will be also changing the bar tape to black.
    Last edited by taemo; 12-05-2020 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

do you find the Jake better than the Rove? Love my Rove but haven't had much time riding a Jake other than the one I bought from you couple of years ago but I was still a newbie back then.
    Actually, I think the Rove might be a better bike cause the new Sora groupset is surprisingly good even though it's an entry level 9 speed. It's so much better than the Tiagra groupset that was on the Jake.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

nice, looks great! curious to see if there's any difference in riding between a 26 and 34. did you ride it today?

Took the Rove out for a quick ride as I quickly changed it from a 2x10 to 1x10 since I'm looking to upgrade it to 1x11 next year.
    42t + 11-32 seems to be good enough for me but might leave some slack on the chain in case I want to go 11-36. will be also changing the bar tape to black.
    Yea I went for a ride today and it was great! Felt alive. The wheels performed great, they are significantly stiffer with higher spoke tension than the stock wheels so the acceleration and power transfer were notably improved but definitely felt more the crevices and bumps of the road. The bearing/hubs and aerodynamics felt good too in terms of sustaining speed, don't have hard data for this. The smile on my face was fractionally larger the whole time Thanks for the recommendation!

I looked at your 28 wheels, they seem comparable to these 34s. Yours are about 60g lighter, mine are slightly deeper and wider, so maybe a wash? Just the 34s had a bunch of recent research behind it and the white paper etc so that's why I sprung for them. Yours looks great in the pic though man

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Actually, I think the Rove might be a better bike cause the new Sora groupset is surprisingly good even though it's an entry level 9 speed. It's so much better than the Tiagra groupset that was on the Jake.
    I'm a big JTS fan. The geometry really works for me and it makes a great commuting rig. Mine is 2x11 Shimano 105! Pretty sure that's the stock spec for 2015, but I did buy it used.
    Last edited by kJUMP; 12-05-2020 at 08:28 PM.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

These just got released and look awesome. Hunt 60 Aero Disc

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/hu...heelset-281205

My Ride
    '21 Taco

So I just got these wheelset from Probikekit UK. Apparently, they can't really ship zipp products to Canada but these wheels are able to be shipped here (for some reason lol). It is also on sale for $1332.49 CAD. Express shipping for $10 and duty/taxes I paid was $88ish. Bowcycle could not get these wheels until December. I am not sure about other shops and they are priced at $1850 CAD + tax. They don't sell Zipp products on the Probikekit Canada website.

Zipp 303S wheelset.

Name:  Zipp-303-S-Carbon-Tubeless-Disc-Centre-Lock-Wheelset-black-28-set-front-12x100-rear-12x142-SRAM-.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  69.8 KB

I just needed to change the freehub to XDR as I run eagle cassette 12 speed which will arrive on Monday.
    Last edited by jampack; 03-06-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 ... LastLast