Quantcast
Bike build and maintenance - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike build and maintenance

My Ride
    07 997TT

I tried to pull them off by hand but must be gunked up. The cassette is back on the bike. Watched a few vids on removing stuck rings on Freehub so I’ll give that a shot when I go to replace this cassette. Close to 5k on this cassette incl a winter so maybe year end or after next winter I’ll change it over.

So I confirmed after last week’s Highwood Pass run that the rear wheel bearings on my dew are likely pooched (very rough feeling when I try to spin the wheel and lots of resistance). As I needed the bike for today I just picked up a cheap new wheel yesterday. I’m going to pull apart the bad wheel and check the cups bearings and cones, if the cups are ok I’ll look at replacing cones and bearings.

Anyone have suggestions where to order cones and bearings? It’s a low end Formula hub. Probably Not really worth rebuilding but I want to learn how to do it and might as well learn on a cheap hub.
    Last edited by J-hop; 06-18-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 997TT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tried to pull them off by hand but must be gunked up. The cassette is back on the bike. Watched a few vids on removing stuck rings on Freehub so I’ll give that a shot when I go to replace this cassette. Close to 5k on this cassette incl a winter so maybe year end or after next winter I’ll change it over.
    Try and pry each ring off individually and then when you get to the clusters those will come off easier. The individual rings are usually what gouge the splines and get them stuck, the clusters distribute that force over a larger area than a single ring.

Ah so kind of annoying the norco manual has no torque specs in it! Every section says ‘refer to appendix D/page 51 for torque specs’ you go there and they have all the fasteners listed but torque specs are blank. Already emailed norco and they gave me a small list but still wondering what the torque specs for the front through axle and rear skewer? Going to try to email them again but anyone have any general torque specs? Rear would be into the aluminum frame and front would be through the carbon forms so I imagine the torque specs are different.

Also could I just replace the rear skewer with a quick release?

I wonder where bike techs get the torque specs from? Do manufacturers release tech manuals?
    Last edited by J-hop; 06-20-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Torque specs for axles are heavy hand tight...my rule of thumb anyways. And absolutely not, you cannot replace a thru axle with a qr skewer.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    Torque specs for axles are heavy hand tight...my rule of thumb anyways. And absolutely not, you cannot replace a thru axle with a qr skewer.
    Yea norco got back and said no torque specs for through axle or rear skewer. Just “snug”

As for quick release I was not referring the front through axle but rather the rear skewer, it’s got an Allen head on it right now, can’t see why I couldn’t?

Oh yeah if it's a 9mm QR then yes you can replace it with just a qr head. I shit you not somebody once tried replacing a thru axle with a qr skewer.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    Oh yeah if it's a 9mm QR then yes you can replace it with just a qr head. I shit you not somebody once tried replacing a thru axle with a qr skewer.
    Now that’s a special kind of special haha.

Make sure it's pretty snug. I've had a cassette come loose on me on my way down from highwood pass, and I ended up walking the last 5km.

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    Make sure it's pretty snug. I've had a cassette come loose on me on my way down from highwood pass, and I ended up walking the last 5km.
    Not sure if axle/skewer mounting torque would have much affect on the cassette would it? The casette threads into the free hub and should not have any direct interaction with the skewer/axle should it?
    Last edited by J-hop; 06-22-2018 at 11:24 AM.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Correct - screwer doesn't affect the cassette. Cassette doesn't "thread" onto the freehub though

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Correct - screwer doesn't affect the cassette. Cassette doesn't "thread" onto the freehub though
    It does if you have an xd driver

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Yea I might be getting my terminology wrong. When I installed the cassette on my commuter the lockring threaded into the inside of some hub, thought it was called a free hub but I guess I’m wrong. Gears themselves obviously don’t “thread” on to it if that’s what you were referring to, that’s definitely the wrong terminology haha but was thinking of the lock ring as that would be the only thing keeping the cassette from coming loose.
    Last edited by J-hop; 06-22-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Not sure if axle/skewer mounting torque would have much affect on the cassette would it? The casette threads into the free hub and should not have any direct interaction with the skewer/axle should it?
    no, I was thinking if you were trying to remove the cassette and separate the clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    no, I was thinking if you were trying to remove the cassette and separate the clusters.
    Ah ok you were responding to 997tt, thought you were responding to my comment

My Ride
    Giant Reign

So I confirmed after last week’s Highwood Pass run that the rear wheel bearings on my dew are likely pooched (very rough feeling when I try to spin the wheel and lots of resistance). As I needed the bike for today I just picked up a cheap new wheel yesterday. I’m going to pull apart the bad wheel and check the cups bearings and cones, if the cups are ok I’ll look at replacing cones and bearings.

Anyone have suggestions where to order cones and bearings? It’s a low end Formula hub. Probably Not really worth rebuilding but I want to learn how to do it and might as well learn on a cheap hub.
    Sounds like you probably just need to adjust your hub - if it's too tight you'll get a rough and resisted feeling when turning the wheel. Watch a video on how to adjust your hubs, try that before you start buying new parts!
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

Has anyone compared 25mm with 28mm in terms of speed gains? I recently replaced my hybrid commuter’s tires with continental ultra gator skins (28mm) and really like them, super fast tire compared to my old continentals (I think they were 32mm pro contacts). I am planning on throwing a pair of gator skins on my road bike which currently has some crappy 30mm schwalbe road tires.

Should I go with 28 or try going down to 25 for the road bike?? The 28s on my commuter are really comfortable so I’d be fine losing some comfort but if there is really no gain why bother right?

If you're looking for a fast tire with pretty good puncture resistance, look at the GP4000S. This comparison doesn't look at 28mm, but speed probably depends on aero the tire is in comparison with your rim. I've never ridden a 28mm, but noticed a difference going from 23mm to 25mm.

Name:  tires.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  55.6 KB

Here's the article to this tire comparison, which takes into account aero plus rolling resistance across tires.
    https://flocycling.com/blog/home/7-minute-tires

Wow the gator skins are way slower apparently! Maybe I’ll try the GP4000 S2, quite a bit faster and still under $100 so not too bad

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Wow the gator skins are way slower apparently! Maybe I’ll try the GP4000 S2, quite a bit faster and still under $100 so not too bad
    That table shows under a 4 minute savings on an 182km ride, I don't think it matters for most of us.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast