Quantcast
Bike for the wife. What to look at - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bike for the wife. What to look at

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Default Bike for the wife. What to look at

Hey guys,

I'm not too familiar with bikes and components. My wife is looking for something to replace her old sportchek modle. She is looking for a hard tail and will mostly be biking around with the kids on trails and pathways. Currently looking at the below based on similar prices. $800-$1000

Norco storm 3/4
    Trek Marlin 5
    LIV tempt 2

Any input? Thanks in advance.

Coworker has trek marlin.
    Seems to like it. Basically used for bombing around with his kids on city pathways. Nothing too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey guys,

I'm not too familiar with bikes and components. My wife is looking for something to replace her old sportchek modle. She is looking for a hard tail and will mostly be biking around with the kids on trails and pathways. Currently looking at the below based on similar prices. $800-$1000

Norco storm 3/4
    Trek Marlin 5
    LIV tempt 2

Any input? Thanks in advance.
    If thats all the riding she's going to do, then these kinda things don't really matter:
    Boost and Thru-axels
    Air shock fork, travel and stantion size
    1x Drivetrain

To be honest, I'd say even a Diamondback or GT bike from Sportcheck (less than 1K) would be more than sufficient - both decent brands and quality. IF she wanted to step it up, yeah I'd say the LIV is a ladies designed Giant and probably will typically pack more value for dollar than even Trek or Norco.

I would prefer Alivio as a minimal groupset, but I've heard Acera isn't too bad these days... anyways the money saved with a GT bike can be spent on things like Grips, Pedals and Saddle

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Out of that list I’d go storm 3, best package to be able to upgrade from if she starts to do a little more single track.

The 9sp cassette means an HG hub that can easily be swapped to a 10-12sp 1x setup, which would probably go a long way to transform the bike for fairly “cheap” (for mtb parts that is haha) via kijiji take offs, clutched derailleur, more simplicity and probably better climbing abilities

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Just buy a stationary bike that she can move between the kitchen sink and laundry room.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 06-16-2022 at 01:08 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Out of that list I’d go storm 3, best package to be able to upgrade from if she starts to do a little more single track.

The 9sp cassette means an HG hub that can easily be swapped to a 10-12sp 1x setup, which would probably go a long way to transform the bike for fairly “cheap” (for mtb parts that is haha) via kijiji take offs, clutched derailleur, more simplicity and probably better climbing abilities
    Why storm 3 over the 4? Worth saving the $100, same potential to upgrade later?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    If thats all the riding she's going to do, then these kinda things don't really matter:
    Boost and Thru-axels
    Air shock fork, travel and stantion size
    1x Drivetrain

To be honest, I'd say even a Diamondback or GT bike from Sportcheck (less than 1K) would be more than sufficient - both decent brands and quality. IF she wanted to step it up, yeah I'd say the LIV is a ladies designed Giant and probably will typically pack more value for dollar than even Trek or Norco.

I would prefer Alivio as a minimal groupset, but I've heard Acera isn't too bad these days... anyways the money saved with a GT bike can be spent on things like Grips, Pedals and Saddle
    I'd like to get out on some real trails with her when the kids get bigger, so want the best we can for the cost. I like the idea of being able to upgrade later. I'll get her to look at the GT, see what she says. Are they upgradeable?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Storm 4 is a 7sp cassette, so you’d most likely need a new wheel set to “modernize” that one to a 1x drivetrain

Obviously blowing the budget, but here’s an example of a fairly competent budget hard tail, the storm 3 would allow you to work towards a similar setup (sx and nx 12sp actually still uses the HG freehub vs the newer standards)

https://www.commencalcanada.com/meta...21-c2x32930873
    Last edited by ercchry; 06-16-2022 at 01:51 PM.

I think there are a "few" options out there and I'll put it this way...

for current riding - probably get away with a costco Northshore, or Sportchek GT or Diamondback.

low range (I'd say up to $700)
    Most of these bikes will be based on "older" technology which means it will use a heavier 3x Drivetrain using a square taper bottom bracket, Quick relase front and rear axels (135/100 typically), a "non-taper" head tube with a small travel fork. Being that alot of the lower end bikes are being shipped with Microshift components, that's not a bad thing. Good value for dollar and everything hung off this bike is plenty durable. There will always be parts for these type of bikes, but upgradability for improved performance limited

low-mid range ($700-1200)
    May not be stocked with great parts but has a good frame to hang better parts on.
    If you want to say upgrade to a 1x (single cog front) drivetrain ecchry said, you'll need something with more than 8 cogs on the rear (8 speed) so you can go up to 11 when you do that upgrade. This is not uncommon from what I can see BUT, alot of the "Better" 1x upgrade sets are made for "Boost" which is for bigger "thru" axles (which are 15-20mm thick and 110/148 wide) that thread into the frame or the fork unlike the old 9mm quick release.
    Fork... this is another thing. If you want to put a burlier fork on there, which makes all the difference on a hard tail, you need to look for a frame with a "tapered" head tube as bascially any half decent "new" fork uses a tapered head tube. I think the GT avalanche (1K) comes with one, so that's a good thing... but unfortunately it isn't using boost thru axels.

mid-highish rnage ($1000-$1500)
    This is where I see frames that are boost thru-axel, tapered headsets, more modern geometry and usually with threaded BBs, which means you can basically go sky the limits with anythign. However at this price point, even though the frame is capable, the parts are mid-range. SOMETIMES and you have to be careful, you may find what looks like a good bike but has an older or odd spec Thru-axel (Marin/Sombrio) that may impact upgradeabilty or parts availablity in the future (i.e. buying a replacement hub)

I think that something like a GT avalanche which has resonably progressive geometry, and though quick release is probably more than plenty out the door...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Re: 1x and boost… boost specific kits are going to have a 3mm offset on the chainring so chainline is straight on the wider boost hubs, if you 1x a non-boost, hg freehub bike you can purchase shifter/derailleur in your favourite model that hopefully also has the right range for the cassette size) then you will need the sram sx/nx cassette if you go 12sp, or if 10 or 11, whatever cassette you want (can also get “off brand” 12sp hg cassettes), then chain ring is as simple as finding a narrow wide that has the tooth count you want and correct BCD pattern and width for your crank arms without a boost offset(since these bikes are probably not coming with direct mount rings)

My Ride
    ute

need pics of wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    need pics of wife.
    Just inseam to judge frame size?

Re: 1x and boost… boost specific kits are going to have a 3mm offset on the chainring so chainline is straight on the wider boost hubs, if you 1x a non-boost, hg freehub bike you can purchase shifter/derailleur in your favourite model that hopefully also has the right range for the cassette size) then you will need the sram sx/nx cassette if you go 12sp, or if 10 or 11, whatever cassette you want (can also get “off brand” 12sp hg cassettes), then chain ring is as simple as finding a narrow wide that has the tooth count you want and correct BCD pattern and width for your crank arms without a boost offset(since these bikes are probably not coming with direct mount rings)
    didn't think you could go 12x with HG, but I guess if someone makes a compatible cassette that's cool as its a PITA to have to go from HG to microspline or SRAM XD.

I think if its anything for non-boost its the crank... I'd say with SRAM/Truvative its true that you can just buy any crank (SX/NX/GX/X01) and that its just about getting the right narrow wide tooth CR (i.e. 3mm for Boost), but I can't recall if its the same with a cinch style newer RF crank and not 100% sure about availabilty for non-boost 1x shimano cranks (i.e. deore+)
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 06-17-2022 at 12:17 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, like mentioned in here already, these bikes use older standards, so lots of options from wolf tooth/absolute black/etc. for replacement rings

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

My wife bought a Kona Dew last year and loves it for riding on bike paths with the kids.

not going to lie, this looks like a good deal

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/mountain...jectID=4230776

Not terrible fork from a reputable company with a Tapered head tube
    Deore 1x 11 Drivetrain with huge range 11-51
    Boost Wheels/Frame
    Hydraulic brakes (they're "ok") and at least has a 180 front Rotor

this is an XC claimed style bike and I don't see a Geo, so I'd imagine its very traditional 69 deg head tube, 73 seat tube and moderate reach

The only things I'd be weary about vs. a Trek, Specialized, Giant is whether the wheel set is any good and maybe the cockpit (bars/saddle etc..)

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^last pic has specs, but you were pretty close haha, 69.5 degrees and seat is 71-73 depending on size

It for sure ticks a lot of boxes, plus cockpit tweaks are way cheaper and easier than drivetrain. Shorter stem and different rise bar would transform its trail manners for sure

^^last pic has specs, but you were pretty close haha, 69.5 degrees and seat is 71-73 depending on size

It for sure ticks a lot of boxes, plus cockpit tweaks are way cheaper and easier than drivetrain. Shorter stem and different rise bar would transform its trail manners for sure
    not going to lie... the spec's are very decent especially for racing. If the wheels are tough enough, and you had the motor... you could walk into decathlon and be all in for $1400 bucks on kit and shoes and be racing same day.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Too bad there are no small frames available. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Too bad there are no small frames available. ^^
    is she small small? My wife who's 5'9 who should be sized med, prefs large

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast