Quantcast
Bike build and maintenance - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike build and maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For regular stock... I’ve been at a couple shops though when they’ve actually called Ridley’s for stuff and send a runner to grab it
    That happens with most shops, if distributors don't have i then we will call some of the other shops that we are friendly with, usually a last ditch attempt though

My Ride
    rally pig

bought this dream road bike and will be upgrading the components soon

Ultegra/Dura Ace components and going with a modified 11-30t 11 speed cassette to fit on the 10 speed Dura Ace wheels.

Decided to take a gamble and go with 165mm crank, being 170cm tall with 78cm inseam length it seems the most efficient crank length for me

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Bike looks good.

I remember in the past going to different shops to swap bikes for a specific size at the end of the season. It is good to have a good relationship with other shops. Though this year is a gong show.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Narrow wide chain ring... my 1x11 cannondale “race” geometry bike drives me nuts with how easy it is to drop the chain... such a short distance that the chain line is way more exaggerated than on a mtb

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    Bike looks good.

I remember in the past going to different shops to swap bikes for a specific size at the end of the season. It is good to have a good relationship with other shops. Though this year is a gong show.
    yeah I've been happy with the services I've gotten from The Bike Shop (downtown), MEC, Bow Cycle and Bike and Brew, pretty knowledgeable staff and get to check out different type of bikes.

Narrow wide chain ring... my 1x11 cannondale “race” geometry bike drives me nuts with how easy it is to drop the chain... such a short distance that the chain line is way more exaggerated than on a mtb
    what chain ring brand are you using?
    Never had chain drop on the 2 wolftooth and 1 raceface narrow wide chainring that I've used (1x10 and 1x9 though) unlike the cheap chain ring that I bought on Amazon for my previous beater bike.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I’m on the hunt still for a narrow wide for it, wasn’t sure if you were swapping out that dura ace ring or not?

I want to try an oval one... wolf seems to make the largest tooth count ones but I feel like I’d be giving up a little too much top end. Would like a 42+ ideally 46

My Ride
    rally pig

I’m on the hunt still for a narrow wide for it, wasn’t sure if you were swapping out that dura ace ring or not?

I want to try an oval one... wolf seems to make the largest tooth count ones but I feel like I’d be giving up a little too much top end. Would like a 42+ ideally 46
    I have a spare Ultegra R8000 46t chain ring as I was planning to run 34/46 on the front but this bike is light and fast enough that I think I can stay 34/50 so I'm considering selling it but I might upgrade the Rove to 105 or Ultegra next year as well lol.

I'm running a 42t wolf oval on my hybrid commuter with 10speed 11-30 in the back and I can climb center street up no problem.
    46t if you want to run 36+ cassette on the back maybe.

I'm considering running 11-36 with the 42t since I have an extra cassette once I need to change the chain though, will help me in the winter.
    Last edited by taemo; 07-28-2020 at 10:39 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Haha, I need to wake up before I read... for some reason I thought you were doing a 1x setup. Yeah I’m not too worried about climbing. Have a 11-34 on the back, I just don’t want to spin out while flying down the path beside glenmore

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    bought this dream road bike and will be upgrading the components soon

Ultegra/Dura Ace components and going with a modified 11-30t 11 speed cassette to fit on the 10 speed Dura Ace wheels.

Decided to take a gamble and go with 165mm crank, being 170cm tall with 78cm inseam length it seems the most efficient crank length for me
    Nice - saw this one listed for sale. Should make for a sweet all-day-long ride. Keep an eye on the brake surface wear (particularly on the front) - I have a set of these and can't get the front wheel perfectly true anymore, which apparently is due to brake track wear. Light weight though, so I bought an 11 speed set as my climbing wheels. When you say modified 11 speed cassette - are you going 2x11 and taking 1.8mm off the back of the cassette?

My Ride
    rally pig

Haha, I need to wake up before I read... for some reason I thought you were doing a 1x setup. Yeah I’m not too worried about climbing. Have a 11-34 on the back, I just don’t want to spin out while flying down the path beside glenmore
    for casual riding around Calgary and commuting 42t is a good ratio, but yeah you'll spin out once going 40+ going down so just enjoy the view lol.
    maybe look for a 44t? my rove is a 36/46 and I have to downshift pretty low (9-7) if starting from stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Nice - saw this one listed for sale. Should make for a sweet all-day-long ride. Keep an eye on the brake surface wear (particularly on the front) - I have a set of these and can't get the front wheel perfectly true anymore, which apparently is due to brake track wear. Light weight though, so I bought an 11 speed set as my climbing wheels. When you say modified 11 speed cassette - are you going 2x11 and taking 1.8mm off the back of the cassette?
    I was initially set on a Rove Ti but couldn't find one on my size 53cm, I then considered buying a new Domane SL5 but when I tried it at the bike shop, I found it boring and slow so decided to think about it over night, then when I got home I saw this Argon18 Ti frame for a good price and luckily I was the first one to contact him.

Previous owner used it for one gran fondo then it sat in his garage unused. Wheels looks to be true and lots of life on the brake track so I figured I'll keep using it as it is until I need to upgrade (mavic ksyrium or hunt)

I'm going 2x11 and buying an 11-30t cassette with 1.85mm shaved off the back. I tried contacting some manufacturing company if they could do it for me locally but no one would.
    Fortunately there's this shop in Montreal that offers this service or you can buy the cassette from them. https://www.lascoconcept.com/en/11s-cassette
    I'm also buying an Ultegra 11-34t cassette since that will mount no problem on a 10speed hub.
    Last edited by taemo; 07-28-2020 at 01:41 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Does someone make a 44T in an oval? I haven’t tried that hard but chain reaction and Jensen do not seem to have any last I looked.

But yeah, I need like 50km/h at least... so much satisfaction passing cars stuck on glenmore during rush hour

...plus I gotta get that KOM on 5th st (racing cars on 5th) ...I’m so close haha

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I'm going 2x11 and buying an 11-30t cassette with 1.85mm shaved off the back. I tried contacting some manufacturing company if they could do it for me locally but no one would.
    Fortunately there's this shop in Montreal that offers this service or you can buy the cassette from them. https://www.lascoconcept.com/en/11s-cassette
    I'm also buying an Ultegra 11-34t cassette since that will mount no problem on a 10speed hub.
    Easy money for them at $60/cassette. I had a friend with a lathe do two of my cassettes - pretty straight forward. Surprised you couldn't find a machine shop that would do that for $20 locally or for some beers on the side.
    Sweet deal if the wheels have a ton of life left in them - I took mine on a Maui trip and loved them.

- - - Updated - - -

...plus I gotta get that KOM on 5th st (racing cars on 5th) ...I’m so close haha
    Got a link?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Got a link?
    it's a trap. Dont show it to him.. he'll take it

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I would never do such a thing.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Haha, I think I’m like 8 seconds off... and did that one during heavy rush hour traffic weaving in traffic... haven’t done a covid attempt yet but I know I can beat it

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Its easier to just never KOM things so he can't take them from you

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    He's like that tall kid that takes things from you and puts it on the top shelf just so you can see it but can't touch.

My Ride
    Wankels!

I'm only 6 feet tall, though.

Found the segment. First, second, third place look like GPS errors. Too many tall buildings around there, so GPS inaccuracy causes people to ride across that segment at 50-60km/h when they're actually doing 30km/h.
    For example: guy in first shows him doing the segment at 62.9km/h. Max speed on that entire ride shows as 32.8km/h. When you analyze the segment it says he was doing 27.2km/h across the segment. With GPS inaccuracy he got lucky and it triggered the start of the segment way late, and must have ended it early too. Downtown segments or ones with hairpin turns at the beginning or end (or both) don't work for that reason. This is probably one of the worst examples of one by my house: https://www.strava.com/segments/22083147

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I got the name wrong... southbound is insane, North... not so much

My Ride
    Wankels!

Is this the one you're talking aboot? https://www.strava.com/segments/8002104

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 ... LastLast