Quantcast
Anyone have experience with cargo trailers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone have experience with cargo trailers?

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Default Anyone have experience with cargo trailers?

I recently purchased a cargo trailer. It's a 6x10 unit with a ramp door.

It's oddly very tall though, I was told by the previous owner that the axle was flipped and it raises it up but when looking underneath I can see that it has both leaf spring suspension and a torsion spring axle setup.

My question being if this is common? Or has someone engaged in some fuckery here? I'll try and post a pic in a bit here.

Also the VIn seems to have rubbed off, wondering if anyone knows if there is another location for a vin to be, I contacted a trailer vendor and they said that's hidden vin can sometimes be found underneath near the axle, but when I took a look there was nothing there.

I'd really like to avoid paying ICBC to come certify the trailer for me if at all possible.

Thanks for the help!

You sir have a stolen trailer.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Flipping the axles/leafs is pretty common, we do it to about half of our trailers. Raises the centre of gravity too though so you have to be more careful with wind gusts and sway, but being a 6x10 I wouldn't be too concerned.

The VIN thing though.... Yeah, that's a little suspicious. If it's over 15 years old it would just be on a little plaque or sticker on the side of the trailer, but newer there should be multiple plaques I on the trailer, or it could even be stamped in a few places like near the tongue, axles or even on the frame somewhere. Good luck

My Ride

Geesus, the trailers' not stolen. I bought it from a person who had registration for it from Sask. where you can register trailers as homebuilt without a vin.

The vin rubbed through on the vin plate from the trailer wiring, I just want verify it before I got register it.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

In that case just look around underneath. Usually it's in a few places

I can't imagine why you would put a torsion axle on a set of leaf springs though. That's messed up.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    4x4

I've seen the mixed torsion/leaf setup before. Saves that funky beam tandem leaf scenario. Supposed to ride better

Rear was leafs, front torsion.

But yeah, obscured vin = pretty much guarantee of being stolen.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In that case just look around underneath. Usually it's in a few places
    Will have another look around, its fairly full of dirt and debris down there, so ill have to scrape the frame with a wire brush.

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    I can't imagine why you would put a torsion axle on a set of leaf springs though. That's messed up.
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. just looks odd.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I've seen the mixed torsion/leaf setup before. Saves that funky beam tandem leaf scenario. Supposed to ride better

Rear was leafs, front torsion.

But yeah, obscured vin = pretty much guarantee of being stolen.
    This trailer is just a single beam, and it looks like a leaf spring stacked on a torsion axle, its just looks odd. It may be just me though it could just be a solid axle.

Well you guys have gone and done it, now I'm super paranoid and anxious to Find the VIN to make sure it is a legit trailer. I'd be really heart broken to find out it is stolen, and have to take it to my local Police station, loosing what I've paid for it.
    Let's hope not.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 06-14-2017 at 06:12 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I think everyone is overreacting.

I've owned 5 trailers now, 4 of them the VIN has been impossible to find/rubbed off/worn off. Lots of trailers (especially out of the USA) don't have the VIN stamped anywhere, its simply on a sticky decal that is usually located in a place that eventually gets blasted off by debris or peels off over the years.

Do you have any previous paperwork with the VIN on it? Should be good enough.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Not that I'm one for keeping stolen goods, but if it is, and there's no legitimate VIN to read, then what are the cops going to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I think everyone is overreacting.

I've owned 5 trailers now, 4 of them the VIN has been impossible to find/rubbed off/worn off. Lots of trailers (especially out of the USA) don't have the VIN stamped anywhere, its simply on a sticky decal that is usually located in a place that eventually gets blasted off by debris or peels off over the years.

Do you have any previous paperwork with the VIN on it? Should be good enough.
    Around these parts, there is a high likelihood its stolen. Thinking otherwise is ignorant. However....

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Not that I'm one for keeping stolen goods, but if it is, and there's no legitimate VIN to read, then what are the cops going to do with it?
    I wouldn't stress it too much for this reason. Honestly unless its some super unique trailer and someone lays claim to it, the RCMP would likely hold it for a while then auction it off/destroy it. I wouldn't stress it too much.

That being said, you do need some form of registration to go with a plate and if you dont have that...id be super concerned.

My Ride

Thanks all for the responses and the stress... lol

I found the VIN under the trailer on the frame stamped in. I cross referenced with CPIC, and it came up with no result.

Also the rear axle is a leaf spring, the axle bar just has a drop flange that looks like a torsion axle, and it has just been flipped. I'll be flipping it back over to it regular ride height when it stops raining.

Cheers Beyond.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I love a happy ending. Glad it worked out