Quantcast
Floyd Mayweather to fight Conor McGregor in boxing match in August - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather to fight Conor McGregor in boxing match in August

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because Connor McGregor is competing in a different sport as an amateur boxer against one of the greatest boxers of all time whom is undefeated. McGregor is a good striker with decent boxing skills, I don't think anyone believes that he sucks at boxing, but he is nowhere near a professional level. In MMA, you reply on different skill sets to fill in the gaps and utilize for 3-5 rounds, McGregor is having to use a single skill set 100% of the time against a master of that skill set for 10 rounds.

Not a fan of either personally, and people can talk all they want about Mayweather and his boring boxing style, but he's made a living picking apart the best boxers of all time and no ones been able to touch him ever (Pac, Hatton, Marquez, De La Hoya, Judah, Cotto, Mosely etc.). Age matters a bit less in boxing as fighters still compete heavily in their late 30s, early 40s and if you're Berndard Hopkins, in your 50s. Mayweather has the knowledge base, footwork and timing that far exceeds McGregor's in boxing. It's going to be Mayweather breaking him down with defense and counters for 10 rounds and come up with the UD.

Hopefully for his sake and for the people paying for this, he improved since last year. Because by the looks of this sparring match against a Welterweight champ, any decent professional has the capacity to beat him at a boxing level. If he drops his hands this much without the ability to throw a kick, Floyd might actually get a TKO.
    I'd argue Bernard hopkins is a great example that age does matter. 6/8 losses were after he turned 40.

I think you're right in that they can still compete later in their years though as boxing does not take near the explosiveness, flexibility or just general physical lability as something like MMA or kickboxing does.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Why so many counting out mcgregor?

Floyd hasn't fought in what 2 years? He's 40, 2 years out of the ring at that age might as well be a decade.

Connor is much younger (28) isn't going to have to fight off ring rust, and has a 5 cm reach advantage.

Granted I don't watch much boxing but I watched the pacquiao fight and it was embarrassing for mayweather. He didn't want to engage and relied on the fact that manny couldn't reach him, maybe a strategic tactic but that won't fly with mcgregor.

I don't get why people are beaking mcgregor's boxing. A major component of mma is striking, something mcgregor is no stranger to.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say mcgregor wins. I think he'll push a pace and aggression that mayweather can't keep up with.

Boxing sucks though, so boring.

Floyd is a refined tactical boxer with many years experience. Yes he is older, but he has been boxing all his life. To put in perspective his bones, muscle memory are attuned to hitting pretty hard. Especially his footwork. Thats key.

McGregor is a MMA fighter he is trained to hit, wrestle and hit different parts of the body. He might be quick, but he may not be able to hit as hard or throw a punch tactically. His footwork is attuned to be different as he doe not always fight with his fists. He might have boxed, but the key here is refinement. Mcgregor might throw good punches, Im betting on Floyd shielding himself and taking it, he had been trained to do that all his life. But a half punch from Floyd to McGregor could mean serious trouble.

This fight if anything makes a mockery of the sport. Its a money spinner if anything. Look at the recent fighter that died. These two boxers are not a real match.

If the Rocky movies has taught me anything, Mcgregor should learn to take the punches and get a girlfriend called Adrienne...

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:53 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Look at the footwork against Manny.

His footwork is key in this upcoming fight. Mcgregor wont beat him with his fists, its gona be how he moves his legs.

Can one of the mods fix the embed links please? ta..

mod edit - please read this thread so you don't look silly next time: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/147...rvices-Linking

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Floyd is a refined tactical boxer with many years experience. Yes he is older, but he has been boxing all his life. To put in perspective his bones, muscle memory are attuned to hitting pretty hard. Especially his footwork. Thats key.

McGregor is a MMA fighter he is trained to hit, wrestle and hit different parts of the body. He might be quick, but he may not be able to hit as hard or throw a punch tactically. His footwork is attuned to be different as he doe not always fight with his fists. He might have boxed, but the key here is refinement. Mcgregor might throw good punches, Im betting on Floyd shielding himself and taking it, he had been trained to do that all his life. But a half punch from Floyd to McGregor could mean serious trouble.

This fight if anything makes a mockery of the sport. Its a money spinner if anything. Look at the recent fighter that died. These two boxers are not a real match.

If the Rocky movies has taught me anything, Mcgregor should learn to take the punches and get a girlfriend called Adrienne...
    I don't think I agree fully. I think you're kind of implying MMA fighters don't know how to take strikes like boxers do. Which I think is 100% false considering a kick to the leg, body or head will do more damage than any punch. MMA fighters train to take and avoid kicks as 100s of fights have ended after well placed kicks.

Hard to say that tim Hague dieing had anything to do with boxing vs MMA, it was a freak occurance and could have happened in Either setting. Tim also specialized in jujitsu not striking. Whereas mcgregor is more specialized in striking.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    If Connor has a decent showing I wonder if he would switch to boxing?
    I thought I saw something in my newsfeed a couple days ago that implied he won't be going back to MMA, as boxing is where the big money is.
    I'll have to see if I can find it.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I don't think I agree fully. I think you're kind of implying MMA fighters don't know how to take strikes like boxers do. Which I think is 100% false considering a kick to the leg, body or head will do more damage than any punch. MMA fighters train to take and avoid kicks as 100s of fights have ended after well placed kicks.

Hard to say that tim Hague dieing had anything to do with boxing vs MMA, it was a freak occurance and could have happened in Either setting. Tim also specialized in jujitsu not striking. Whereas mcgregor is more specialized in striking.
    Yes and no. By your argument are you saying the punch from a MMA fighter is the same as a refined boxer? I'd argue its not. Hell no.
    A kick would do damage, but a kick is not the same as a punch. But that I mean your footwork, positioning, angle of the kick is different. You would train your footwork, spacing between your opponent and movement for that. McGregors footwork for moving, and taking/absorbing kicks will be useless in this fight.

That leaves his punches. Im implying the footwork, counter punch/power from a refined boxer will be a lot harder and difficult to counter. Mayweather has trained for a long time, those bones and muscles are just for that. McGregor might be able to strike, but boxing is not all about hitting. Its the movement before and after. Check the videos I posted.

In regards to Tim Hague. My point was there were arguments raised on the radio this morning in the sense that the fighters being miss matched.

This fight is mismatched. But then again Mgregorys plan might be to strike. Just as Mike Tyson said... 'everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face...' lolz

Yes and no. By your argument are you saying the punch from a MMA fighter is the same as a refined boxer? I'd argue its not. Hell no.
    A kick would do damage, but a kick is not the same as a punch. But that I mean your footwork, positioning, angle of the kick is different. You would train your footwork, spacing between your opponent and movement for that. McGregors footwork for moving, and taking/absorbing kicks will be useless in this fight.

That leaves his punches. Im implying the footwork, counter punch/power from a refined boxer will be a lot harder and difficult to counter. Mayweather has trained for a long time, those bones and muscles are just for that. McGregor might be able to strike, but boxing is not all about hitting. Its the movement before and after. Check the videos I posted.

In regards to Tim Hague. My point was there were arguments raised on the radio this morning in the sense that the fighters being miss matched.

This fight is mismatched. But then again Mgregorys plan might be to strike. Just as Mike Tyson said... 'everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face...' lolz

That first vid you posted (no offence) looks like someone who had never even sparred captioned that. What he was pointing out was extremely basic, something any good fighter regardless of discipline would do. I don't even think he mentioned manny fought southpaw?

Bones don't form to boxing, muscle memory sure. No mcgregor's footwork won't be useless that is kind of silly to say as that would mean an MMA opponent would want to stand and bang with mcgregor which opponents rarely do against him as he is such a good striker.

You are acting like MMA and boxing are foreign to each other?

The tim Hague fight was not a mismatch due to discipline specifically. Tim was just not a top level fighter(no offence to him) he was cut from the UFC and I believe he was coming off several loses and a bad concussion. He should have never been allowed to take that fight.

Just out of curiosity what do you train in?

Edit: interesting read on Conor's striking from back in 2013 before this fight was even remotely on the radar. Note the parallels discussed between him and Floyd
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/1...chnique-gif-ko
    Last edited by J-hop; 06-20-2017 at 08:18 PM.

I concur...

I boxed for 9 years, 6 of those as a competitive amateur and still consider myself a "boxer"... I also happened to have grown up with taekwondo and have good foundations in "kicking" as well as wrestled in high school, and trained with the Bisons when I played CIS football.

The last couple of years I took about a years worth of private classes with ex Mike Miles fighters, along with some drop ins in years past.

While still coaching, in the early 2000's I went to a few Vale Tudo invites for fun, and I'll tell you what between striking and grapplers there is nothing more polarized than muay thai and a ground game... grapplers love being close, with many even enjoying being on their backs, while muay thai love their space...

Boxing was always my advantage period. In Vale Tudo, sometimes I'd get hit by a Tiep in the sternem and man that hurt, and the knees are something to watch for... but I was always good at slipping strikes and was a heavy handed counter puncher who could deliver hard kicks and spraw if needed.

My hand and foot speed even while infighting, with my ability to counter a takedown due to wrestling training made me effective against most grapplers other than sometimes getting caught by an experienced Judo fighter. **Judo takedowns are so unconventional to wrestling or jujitsu that they really are hard to guard, and luckily I didn't wear a Gi or a shirt.

Boxing vs a Muay Thai... Muay Thai fighters take hits, they learn to absorb kicks, punches and would rather make space than work on insight fighting as they have very little foot work and head movement, yet they still clinch. On any given day, the better Mauy Thai figher could beat a boxer in Muay Thai and vice versa the better boxer would win in a boxing match (cept for klitschko who were actually very good kickboxers)

An elusive boxer who can kick, well there is a difference... I always believed that a kickboxer who's foundations were based on boxing rather than kickboxing soley always had an advantage.

Now, those who say that MMA is far more brutal than Boxing... I would say yes, and only to the fact that Dana and all these promoters/organizations retire their fighters too fast.

Boxing with the knockdown rules that vary and TKO thats discreationary I personally feel is more "brutal" being allowed to have a boxer knocked "down" and being given the ability to come back after a 10 or 20 count, and sometimes as many times until the Ref deems a TKO.
    No doubt a straight knockout is a knockout, but in MMA a ref stoppage often is once someone is placed into a compromised position and not always where the conscience is beaten out of them. (i.e. rear naked choke, vs Tyson vs Larry Holmes)

I'd reckon that if one were to compare the potential or CTE type damages experienced by a Boxer (who has taken an ungodly amount head shots while training, as an amateur and pro) would be worse than that of a typical MMA fighter.

Now back to the topic at hand.

I've read all sorts of stores generating hyperbole regarding Connor's boxing career.... but this is what I understand: He stopped as an amateur at 16 to persue MMA

Connor's Irish... Boxing is to the Irish as a curry is to an Indian or rice to an Asian. It is a relgion to them and in the UK they bet on fights like we do on horse races.

If he was anywhere near as gifted of a boxer as Floyd, it would have been immediately recognized and all the doors would be open in order to get the right promotions to get the right fights arranged as a professional.

Fact is, in a boxing ring.. he'd probably get whooped by a retired Oscar, Manny or Hopkins, let alone Mayweather who truely outboxed each of them.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 06-20-2017 at 08:10 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    SpikerS, I'll put $20 on Connor. Whatever happened to that betting thread? Should this go there? Anyway, post if you accept.
    It's on like Donkey Kong!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    Now, those who say that MMA is far more brutal than Boxing... I would say yes, and only to the fact that Dana and all these promoters/organizations retire their fighters too fast.

Boxing with the knockdown rules that vary and TKO thats discreationary I personally feel is more "brutal" being allowed to have a boxer knocked "down" and being given the ability to come back after a 10 or 20 count, and sometimes as many times until the Ref deems a TKO.
    No doubt a straight knockout is a knockout, but in MMA a ref stoppage often is once someone is placed into a compromised position and not always where the conscience is beaten out of them. (i.e. rear naked choke, vs Tyson vs Larry Holmes)

I'd reckon that if one were to compare the potential or CTE type damages experienced by a Boxer (who has taken an ungodly amount head shots while training, as an amateur and pro) would be worse than that of a typical MMA fighter.
    This is one reason I think straight boxing is such a dumb sport. If a fighter can't intelligently defend themselves the fight shouldn't continue, that is barbaric. I've seen a couple boxing matches where one boxer went full potato in the ring and they still let it continue. Basically zero concern for the athlete.

Stopping fights when fighters are taking severe unanswered damage and retiring fighters early means MMA doesn't leave a trail of broken lives behind it to the extent boxing does.

My Ride
    G37X

I don't particularly care for McGregor but I cannot stand money mayfeather. But floyd will do his usual running man bs and it's gonna be tough to catch him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    I don't particularly care for McGregor but I cannot stand money mayfeather. But floyd will do his usual running man bs and it's gonna be tough to catch him.
    All boxers are cocky and more so if they have been dominant for so long.

Fact is, if you watch Money and can't pick up on the subtleties of his work, you will think he is boring. But he has won in stoppages in over 50% of his pro career and as a "boxer" there is none finer in the craft.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

That first vid you posted (no offence) looks like someone who had never even sparred captioned that. What he was pointing out was extremely basic, something any good fighter regardless of discipline would do. I don't even think he mentioned manny fought southpaw?

Bones don't form to boxing, muscle memory sure. No mcgregor's footwork won't be useless that is kind of silly to say as that would mean an MMA opponent would want to stand and bang with mcgregor which opponents rarely do against him as he is such a good striker.

You are acting like MMA and boxing are foreign to each other?

The tim Hague fight was not a mismatch due to discipline specifically. Tim was just not a top level fighter(no offence to him) he was cut from the UFC and I believe he was coming off several loses and a bad concussion. He should have never been allowed to take that fight.

Just out of curiosity what do you train in?

Edit: interesting read on Conor's striking from back in 2013 before this fight was even remotely on the radar. Note the parallels discussed between him and Floyd
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/1...chnique-gif-ko
    In regards to your first paragraph. I think you missed my point. R3CC0 well written post above summed up what I was attempting poorly to point out.

Bones do form stronger in relation boxing or condition training for that matter. Mu Thai might be another example. Specific types of training will increase bone density. Bones will break on a micro level and re-heal denser.

I don’t think McGregors footwork will be entirely useless. Not at all, His boxing footwork will be good, I just don’t think it will be as refined as Mayweather’s. His footwork for kicking, grappling etc will be irrelevant in a boxing match.
    Though thanks for posting the link, that was a interesting read.

As for what I train in. I think that question subtly shifts the perspective away from the valid arguments I have presented. My validating my training(or lack of) for your curiosity is not the argument or discussion here.
    I think focus should be on the arguments and the exploration of the discussion.

I think I would agree to disagree on the points raised.

R3CC0, your right, he is Irish.. he has heart.

The reason I asked what you trained in was related to my first comment. The subtleties aren't really that astounding. Sure he may be extremely refined but there was only basics pointed out in that vid.

In regards to your comment about bone density, how would that be different from someone that trains MMA? The differences you are talking about will be negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Further to that, the padding and gloves used in boxing amplify the impact dramatically and cause more diffuse traumas, esp. over time and esp. in the brain. Getting hit with a bare knuckle will cause more localized damage, sure it can knock you out, but is less likely to cause permanent damage.

I wish Conor luck, sincerely, as he's going to need it. Even with his teenage boxing exp and training every day for 6 months (or however long they've been talking about this fight.)
    Mayweather's foot and handspeed is nuts... I mean the speed, counterpunching and movement of a lightweight, flyweight, welterweight, mid weight fighters is incredible at a pro level, and he's at an altogether level. Don't get me wrong Connor is in the same weight class, but to me, it would be doubtful if he could solidly land on Sugar Shane Mosley, who as elusive as he was, isn't as good as Floyd at the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Further to that, the padding and gloves used in boxing amplify the impact dramatically and cause more diffuse traumas, esp. over time and esp. in the brain. Getting hit with a bare knuckle will cause more localized damage, sure it can knock you out, but is less likely to cause permanent damage.

I wish Conor luck, sincerely, as he's going to need it. Even with his teenage boxing exp and training every day for 6 months (or however long they've been talking about this fight.)
    I believe it has been proven that CTE doesn't result from just significant one time large blows to the head, and as you ellude to above, I would say that the padding though more permanently damaging, allow for the sustained repetitive blows.

Hey, I've also sparred and fought in situations where I was more defensively tactical, won, and still felt worse than taking a stinger that's dropped me. Just by putting your glove to your Chin and bracing for impact doesn't prevent your brain from sloshing around in there.

Also, check this highlights of Mosley/De La Hoya out... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVqFsFBokY

I've never seen an exchange in MMA nearly as intense or competitive.

Definitely we will not be seeing this in August.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast