Quantcast
Blue Sky TV from Shaw - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Blue Sky TV from Shaw

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Blue Sky TV from Shaw

Anyone try this out? I am getting it on monday along with internet 150.

Little concerned about the channel layout. excited for damn fast internet.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I've had Internet 150 for a while, it's really been great. 170 down consistently. Thinking about switching to Shaw for TV.
    Seems like the plain Shaw Cable channel lineup has more options than the Bluesky channel lineup.

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

Compared to the old PVR its much faster and looks better. Being able to watch recordings from another room is nice too. The channel layout has completed changed on blue sky so it does take some getting use to but AFAIK all the channels are still there. You can just use the gimmicky voice thing and say "TSN" and it'll just take you there. Sports start at 200. Food network is 401. That's all i remember from the lime up. Everything else I just watch the recordings

It's missed one or two recordings since I got it. That's only gripe about it

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    excited for damn fast internet.
    I was talking to a Shaw tech yesterday and he said that their router wasn't that great. So if you want strong signal throughout the house, than invest in a Asus RT routers.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

Had it for about 3 months and like it a lot. Channels do change and really I do not try to learn new layout as I love voice search option. It is super easy to use and it does good voice recognition. All you have to remember is the name of your favorite channels.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

My family has had it about a year now (in the US as provided by Comcast) and I've always thought it was great. The voice search is obviously the best feature, and unlike other voice activated software, I've never found it to be clumsy and it understands what you're saying 99% of the time.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Ok, did the switch today. Kept my Internet 150, added BlueSky Medium TV. Install went fairly well, apparently with their new system they had to create a new account, then move my Internet over, that meant re-provisioning everything. I told the installer multiple times, "Do not screw up my Internet" It's been solid for years, I get 170 down consistently.
    "My Modem is bridged, DO NOT un-bridge it, or I will kill you." I explained to him I have a separate router, wireless access point, and servers. Explained the wiring, which cables went where.
    He was cool, realized I had a fair idea what I was doing. I was a bit concerned, as the RG6 feed from the basement to the main TV has a splitter that is inaccessible under the floor.
    Luckily I used a high quality splitter during the reno when the floor was open, so it wasn't an issue.

Toward the end of the install, he sent some messages from his phone to head office, and modem rebooted a few times. It came up un-bridged briefly (was watching my PFSense dashboard the whole time) I bit my tongue and waited. Installer said, "OK should be good" I refreshed my PFSesnse screen, a few times. Poof my old faithful 24.x.x.x address appeared on the WAN interface. TV looked good, did a speed test, 158 down. I joked with the installer "WTF did you do, my Internet is really slow"
    He thought I was serious for a moment. Subsequent tests later this evening are 175+ again.

Anyway, everything is working well. TV is as good or better than Shaw Direct was, PVR seems pretty responsive.
    Even got my Harmony Hub/Amazon Echo stuff set up. Told Harmony it was a Comcast XFinity DVR and it seems to have all the commands straight.
    The Harmony skill for Alexa is a bit limited, but does what we need. "Alexa, turn on CNN" or TLC or Slice or all the other channels I hate will keep Mrs. Penguin happy.
    Last edited by The_Penguin; 07-05-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: tpyos

My Ride
    '18 Murano

One thing that bugs me. You can't configure the guide (or the voice search) to only show you channels you actually subscribe to.
    Have to add all of the channels you get (or want) to Favourites to have a guide with only your channels in it.