Quantcast
CRTC bans cellphone unlocking fees, orders all new devices be unlocked - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CRTC bans cellphone unlocking fees, orders all new devices be unlocked

Default CRTC bans cellphone unlocking fees, orders all new devices be unlocked

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc...hone-1.4161711

CRTC bans cellphone unlocking fees, orders all new devices be unlocked
    As of Dec. 1, cellular providers will have to unlock your phone free of charge
    By Sophia Harris, CBC News Posted: Jun 15, 2017 11:54 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 15, 2017 11:54 AM ET

The era of having to pay cellular providers to unlock your cellphone will end this year.

As of Dec. 1, cellphone customers can ask their provider to unlock their phones free of charge, the CRTC announced Thursday. At the same time, it said, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked.

"It's a big step forward," said Rose Behar, senior reporter for the tech site MobileSyrup in Toronto.

Telecoms often order locked phones from manufacturers that are programmed to work only with their service. Then they charge a fee — typically $50 — to unlock the phone if a customer wants to switch providers.

"Essentially a locked phone did keep consumers tethered to their service provider," because they faced paying a fee to flee, said Behar.

"Now there's going to be so much more flexibility in being able to jump from plan to plan, from carrier to carrier. That will likely spark more competition."

The unlocking fee has always been unpopular with customers. It has even been referred to it as a "ransom fee."

When the CRTC reviewed its wireless code earlier this year, it invited the public to comment online. Many took the opportunity to gripe about unlocking fees.

"Now after paying for the phones we are held ransom to unlock them to go to another provider. Totally ridiculous," stated one person. "Excuse me, but I own the phone."

"That's called a 'Ransom Fee' or 'Hostage Fee' in any other business," wrote another individual. "It is unbelievable how the government allows these companies to extort money like this!"

In March, the CRTC reported that Canadian telecoms made a total of $37.7 million last year by charging customers to unlock their cellphones — a 75 per cent jump in that source of revenue compared with 2014.

During a February CRTC hearing, Bell, Rogers and Telus all stood by their unlocking fees.

The big three warned that if they didn't charge an unlocking fee for the few customers who want it done, the cost would have to be passed on to everyone.

"We think it's a lot more appropriate that people who actually have their device unlocked bear the cost of the unlocking," said Howard Slawner, vice-president of regulatory telecom at Rogers.

No free-for-all for family plans

The CRTC's decision on unlocking fees came out of a review of its 2013 wireless code created in part to help limit costly cellphone fees for consumers.

As part of the review, the commission also announced that only the account holder can consent to data overage and additional roaming charges in a family-shared cellphone plan. Other plan members will only be able to give consent if the account holder grants them approval.

To help customers avoid running up their bills, the wireless code mandated that cellular service providers must cap international roaming charges at $100 a month and data overage fees at $50 — unless a customer agrees to pay more.

rosemary pick cellphone
    Cellphone customer Rosemary Pick got dinged for about $1,700 in data overage charges that her son approved without her knowledge. (CBC Marketplace)

Last year, CBC's Marketplace found that Rogers, Bell and Telus all allowed anyone on a family share plan — including minors — to buy data above the $50 cap. All they had to do was respond "Yes" to a text message from their provider.

That's exactly what the son of Bell customer Rosemary Pick did — unbeknownst to Pick. The Fletchers Lake, N.S., resident got hit with a bill for more than $1,700 in data charges.

"I had never approved that, and I really can't afford to pay for it," Pick told Marketplace.

The new approval rules for family plans are effective immediately.

My Ride
    95B

I wish CRTC put their effort into looking in to the data fees.
    IMO , no one should be complaining about the unlocking fee and I am not sure why CRTC is getting involved in this. If you sign up for an agreement and if you get a subsidize device from the carrier it is fair that the carrier charges you the unlocking fee. - If you don't want to pay the unlocking fee go and get a unlocked device from the manufacturer and pay the price. It is that simple.

I can't say I am too thrilled about this, everytime the CRTC brings in something to "protect" customers the providers just respond by throwing in more fees, jacking up prices etc etc
    Watch them just add $50 across the board to all new phone sales, so even those who never cared will get dinged with an extra bill. Got to love the Canadian Cell monopoly

Yeah the way I see it, they will need to make up the revenue they got from unlocking phones and they won't be subsidizing any phones if they can't lock them to their own network. This seems like a repeat of when they forced the end of 3-year contracts.
    ---

I'm fine with the phone being locked if the phone is being subsidized under a contract and you haven't completed the term. Once the term is complete the unlocking of the phone should be free since you do own it at this point. Also if you walk into a store and pay full price for the phone it should be unlocked as well.

My Ride
    is broken

I can see your guys argument from a capitalist perspective. Why buy a locked phone when you can buy unlocked phones right?

I see this good thing for the used phone market. Less consumer waste and hopefully better depreciation rates.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah, I agree that on the surface this sounds awesome, but just about everything the CRTC does, there will always some sort of negative reactionary impact. I mean, I liked being signed to 3 year contracts for the cheaper phone cause I had no plans to switch providers!

Canadian cell phone providers can make up lost revenue by selling phones to American consumers haha! Then the next CRTC ruling will be providers need to keep an allocation of X% of phones for Canadians cause the US keeps buying up our stock

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm fine with the phone being locked if the phone is being subsidized under a contract and you haven't completed the term. Once the term is complete the unlocking of the phone should be free since you do own it at this point. Also if you walk into a store and pay full price for the phone it should be unlocked as well.
    I agree. I always hated how providers still charged for unlocking even if the phone was paid for and/or you were off contract. Not to mention your monthly bill should be reduced after the phone's been paid off.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

So this is like when a guy in prison complains to the guard about his experience in the shower, the guard hangs him a jar of vaseline and says "you are welcome".

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    So this is like when a guy in prison complains to the guard about his experience in the shower, the guard hangs him a jar of vaseline and says "you are welcome".
    No, this is more like when a guy in prison complains to the guard about his experience in the shower, and the guard makes an announcement to everyone not to do it anymore because said guy has been complaining about the treatment of his anus so the rest of the inmates will just find another way and be more sneaky about it next time.

This is welcome. It's absolute bullshit that they charge $50 to unlock even after you completed your term. Even if you haven't completed your term, there are cancellation fees to break your contract so they always end up getting their $ anyways.

That said, I know this will end up biting us in the ass somehow just like last time when they made the max term length 2 years...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Totally agree with everyone above. During contract, should be pay to unlock, afterwards should be free AND automatic.

I bought a tablet from Rogers outright, with no plan, and they still wanted money to unlock it, like WTF?

Uh..except the cartel called the "banks".

Not only do they make a shit ton of money for using your money, but they have the tenacity to go even further by charging you for it.

Democracy lol.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I bought a tablet from Rogers outright, with no plan, and they still wanted money to unlock it, like WTF?
    What's hilarious is that you need to be on their service for a month or 2 before they will unlock it, no exceptions. So you have to pay for the pay as you go service, plus the unlock fee.

I ran into this problem recently, gf changed jobs, bought her phone out to give to her mom so it was no longer tied to a cell account for a single day. Spent 2 hrs on the phone arguing and they sent me to the mall, then 2 hrs in the mall trying to get the thing unlocked with no luck and was suggested to me to get it on a cheap pay as you go for 2 months first. Ended up paying iphoneunlockcanada or something $80 to do it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

What was the main reason for this, was this result of consumer complaints or just CRTC trying to do something?