Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Good riddance....

Flames sign Stone to 3-year, $10.5M deal
    http://www.tsn.ca/flames-sign-stone-...-deal-1.793575
    Last edited by ThePlaymaker; 06-30-2017 at 01:49 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlaymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Flames sign Stone to 3-year, $10.5M deal
    http://www.tsn.ca/flames-sign-stone-...-deal-1.793575
    while that is a pay cut for him, 3.5M a year for 18 points a season? Not sure how I feel about that...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Lariat

That is a very well paid #5 D man. Too much if you ask me. So are we not lining up to add any young guys to the D core this year (andersson, kulak)?
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    while that is a pay cut for him, 3.5M a year for 18 points a season? Not sure how I feel about that...
    He had a really bad injury in 2015 that had him out for a long time, followed by a rough recovery that led to him having a so-so start to last season. I'd bet he has 25-ish points next year

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    That is a very well paid #5 D man. Too much if you ask me. So are we not lining up to add any young guys to the D core this year (andersson, kulak)?
    Anderssen or Kulak likely complete that bottom pairing. It does seem like a lot of money but he's a 4/5 guy that can move up the roster if someone gets injured.

I'm a fan of the deal.

Look at it this way, he's better than Russell, makes less money and signed for less term.

Flames D also are going to cost less going into next year with Hamonic and Stone, that it did with Wideman and Engelland

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
    He had a really bad injury in 2015 that had him out for a long time, followed by a rough recovery that led to him having a so-so start to last season. I'd bet he has 25-ish points next year

Anderssen or Kulak likely complete that bottom pairing. It does seem like a lot of money but he's a 4/5 guy that can move up the roster if someone gets injured.

I'm a fan of the deal.

Look at it this way, he's better than Russell, makes less money and signed for less term.

Flames D also are going to cost less going into next year with Hamonic and Stone, that it did with Wideman and Engelland
    I dunno man, he has been in the NHL for 6 years now, totaling 102 points. That works out to 17 points a season, which is pretty close to his numbers each year. 2 years ago with Arizona he had a year that justifies this kind of salary with 36 points. Before that, his best year was '13-'14, and that was 21 points...

I think that Stone and his agent realized that that was going to be the best deal he was going to get, even as a FA, and why he signed before the 1st.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Maybe he'll convince his brother to sign here next year

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Having a #5 that good is a luxury and Calgary will benefit. Being able to play your top 4 19-20 minutes and your 5 15-16 minutes makes a huge difference. This allows Brodie to come off of the PK and allows Hamonic to take his place. They will be less tired near the end of games and it will allow Brodie and Hamilton to really push the puck on their shifts knowing they aren't required to play 26 minutes because two chumps are playing in the 5-6 role.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

That is a potent, but expensive top 5 defense. I was in the camp of letting the kids and Bartkowski round out the bottom pairing for low low dollars. Stone can move up and down the lineup should there be injuries and such, which is a good thing come playoff time. $3.5M for 3 years is a good contract for Stone, who's more of a middle-pairing guy.

Curious why 3 years as that is when Brodie, Hamonic, Andersson and Kylington all need to be re-signed. 2021 will be a very expensive summer.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

If you look at the entire top 4 it comes in around 4-6 million under most other teams top 4s because of the cheap Brodie and Hamonic contracts. Having them allows that flexibility to spend a bit more.

I also wondered about the term, I imagine that's the expectation now to be cup ready in two.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

It may seem like an expensive Top 5 but it's still cheaper than what we had going into last year (Wideman and Engelland were just over $8M combined, Hamonic and Stone are just under $8M combined).

Not sure why anyone would complain about that D-core/signings... Stone is probably a legit 3/4 D-man on most teams in the NHL, plays a good solid game. They are currently sitting at 25 mil in D-man contracts + will probably bring up kulak or andersson for the season @ another 7-800k. Compare that to some teams such as Jets 29 mil, detroit 26.6, oilers 24 mil, hell even the canucks are paying 21 for that joke of a blue line.

The only real tough ones on the flames right now in terms of value/$ would be Brouwer if he plays like he did last year and Stajan. Well that and Johnny played like shit last year, hopefully its a bounce back season. It sucks that Sharp didn't sign here, they were rumoring that one and then the Hawks sniped him back up for virtually nothing... Flames really need a 1st line player, tough to get though

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I'm willing to bet Brouwer has a much better season. Probably at least plays like he did before he got injured.

So many people upset that Vegas didn't take him, but he's far from by biggest concern on the team

Quote Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
    I'm willing to bet Brouwer has a much better season. Probably at least plays like he did before he got injured.

So many people upset that Vegas didn't take him, but he's far from by biggest concern on the team
    I don't know... With Wideman off the book, Bouma gone, Chiasson probably not coming back, there's really no one else left to point your finger at other than Stajan, and even he will be off the book next year.
    Brouwer is still the biggest concern given his cap hit and the value he brings. Goaltending is still up in the air for finger pointing, but lowering the expectation would be best.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzes View Post
    I don't know... With Wideman off the book, Bouma gone, Chiasson probably not coming back, there's really no one else left to point your finger at other than Stajan, and even he will be off the book next year.
    Brouwer is still the biggest concern given his cap hit and the value he brings. Goaltending is still up in the air for finger pointing, but lowering the expectation would be best.
    For sure, but people haven't seen the value he brings yet. They saw him play the worst year of his career with a broken finger. If he plays like he did 2 years ago, or even like the first 2 months of last year, fingers will quickly get pointed elsewhere.

I predict Stone becomes the new whipping boy, the "That's too much for a guy on the bottom pairing" crowd will get louder and louder

My Ride
    Lariat

TSN pre season power rankings released today:

1. Pittsburgh
    2. Nashville
    3. Anaheim
    4. Edmonton
    5. CALGARY!!!
    6. Toronto
    7. Columbus
    8. Tampa Bay
    9. Washington
    10. Dallas
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

I'm not sure why you guys are ripping on Stone for numbers and that he'll be the whipping boy or over paid. Did you actually watch the hockey last season and before or just instantly look at his points/game and are mad he doesn't have burns/karlson type numbers?

He has played on one of the WORST teams in the NHL the last 5 seasons. In the 4 seasons that he was averaging ~20:20 in ice time, his numbers versus what the team did were pretty decent. In 15-16 he finished -10 on a team that was minus 36 while averaging 22:29 on the ice. Last season when he left the coyotes he was playing 20:13 a game, -5 on a team that finished -63. If guys are expecting a $3.5 million defencemen to be putting up 50+ points a season give your head a shake unless they are a young rising star who is under a team friendly RFA deal. His numbers sit well when compared to guys in his salary range, and at the end of the day he will be expected to play a solid 3rd line role and in the event of an injury can very easily step up to the 2nd line.

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    I'm not sure why you guys are ripping on Stone for numbers and that he'll be the whipping boy or over paid. Did you actually watch the hockey last season and before or just instantly look at his points/game and are mad he doesn't have burns/karlson type numbers?

He has played on one of the WORST teams in the NHL the last 5 seasons. In the 4 seasons that he was averaging ~20:20 in ice time, his numbers versus what the team did were pretty decent. In 15-16 he finished -10 on a team that was minus 36 while averaging 22:29 on the ice. Last season when he left the coyotes he was playing 20:13 a game, -5 on a team that finished -63. If guys are expecting a $3.5 million defencemen to be putting up 50+ points a season give your head a shake unless they are a young rising star who is under a team friendly RFA deal. His numbers sit well when compared to guys in his salary range, and at the end of the day he will be expected to play a solid 3rd line role and in the event of an injury can very easily step up to the 2nd line.
    Not ripping him at all, I love that we have a #5 guy that can move up to the 2nd line at a moments notice and we wont be handicapped like we would have been moving up a wideman for example. I love the blueline this year. Can't wait to get the season started!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    TSN pre season power rankings released today:

1. Pittsburgh
    2. Nashville