Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition - Page 31 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And serious question from someone who knows more than me. If we've got effort and motivation issues, isn't that a leadership issue? If so, shouldn't we be looking at getting rid of our ineffective leaders? Trade Gio for prospects.
    The two alternate captains, especially Brouwer, look uninspired most nights whereas Gio plays hard most nights. Trading Gio for prospects would just set this team back a few more years. Even though he won't be a Norris trophy candidate, he's definitely a top pairing defenceman.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

We're not good enough and consistent to go all in right now (and pay the trade deadline premium) for rentals and no reason to sell off anything since we're just coming out of a rebuild and we're just on the cusp of being a team that makes regular playoff appearances. Because of that I think we'll be pretty status quo. Any moves I think we'll make is to get some minor league depth or mid to late round picks in exchange for non-impact players/assets.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Totally agree. The core of young guys we have have a bright future.

Teams like Anaheim, San Jose, LA, are all on the decline... Were not even anywhere near our "window".

Side note, anyone else instantly become a Knights fan after that segment on Engelland and their opening night... What a great story, if the Flames aren't in, I'm rooting for the Knights... True underdog story right there.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

The Knights are a fun team to watch (Rage is definitely onto something!). They are quick on the puck every single play, they're relentless.

I wish we had the Vegas GG instead of this GG as a coach.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Side note, anyone else instantly become a Knights fan after that segment on Engelland and their opening night... What a great story, if the Flames aren't in, I'm rooting for the Knights... True underdog story right there.
    Good read: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/de...for-las-vegas/
    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    The Knights are a fun team to watch (Rage is definitely onto something!). They are quick on the puck every single play, they're relentless.
    Yup, relentless is the one word I'd choose to describe the team. Doesn't matter if they're up 2 or down 3 goals, they're working every single opportunity to generate chances. I've probably mentioned it before, the 14/15 Flames team were similar to this year's Knights aside from goaltending. A little sad to think back to that year and what could've been if the Hiller/Ramo combo was any better.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Lariat

Monahan and Brodie for Tavares?
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Monahan and Brodie for Tavares?
    So give up our best forward and our 2nd best d-man who are 23/27 and under very good contracts for an upcoming UFA who is probably going to command 11+ million a year. While Tavares IMO is a top 5 player in the league it is very hard to manage those contracts for many teams that don't have a very very solid core around it. Not to mention that would be a very difficult sign and trade to manage.

I'm quite curious what happens in the Karlsson situation out of Ottawa now. It is not often a prolific player comes up for trade with 1.5 years left on a very reasonable amount.

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    So give up our best forward and our 2nd best d-man who are 23/27 and under very good contracts for an upcoming UFA who is probably going to command 11+ million a year. While Tavares IMO is a top 5 player in the league it is very hard to manage those contracts for many teams that don't have a very very solid core around it. Not to mention that would be a very difficult sign and trade to manage.

I'm quite curious what happens in the Karlsson situation out of Ottawa now. It is not often a prolific player comes up for trade with 1.5 years left on a very reasonable amount.
    Monahan is ok but only because he plays with Johnny. He's not a top centre in the league. I had high hopes from Brodie for so many years but he has never played to his ability or potential. I would argue that Stone is as good a D man as Brodie is nowadays. I would not be surprised to see Brodie move, would make the most sense for the Flames to trade and should bring back a good return
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I haven't looked at the stats, but I also feel Brodie has dropped off significantly this year. And it's been consistently bad, visually at least. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brodie being moved.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Brodies advanced stats (if you buy into that shit) have gotten worse every season for the past 3-4 seasons, straight downhill.

Also his number are significantly worse since he stopped being paired with Gio.

And his d-partners advances stats are all significantly worse when they've played with Brodie over anyone else on the team.

So basically he sucks... which is probably why he's looked sucky on the ice.

Maybe it has to do with him playing on the left side when paired with Gio, but he used to be able to skate the puck out of harm's way and out the d-zone with ease. Now, he makes questionable decisions in all three zones and has become a turnover machine. He's also renowned for his skating, but I haven't witnessed much of that the past couple of seasons. Oftentimes you will see him get beat to the outside and his lack of footspeed has resulted in several breakaways against.

Trading away Gillies? is it really worth it? (I have high hopes for this guy)
    yeah we're pretty stack on goalie prospects (but they're in early 20's, takes time to develop them)
    I think Gillies(24) is just right there, just need an opportunity to shine!

Have always been a fan of Chris Stewart even though he's a shadow of his Colorado self. For a big dude, he's got slick hands and can really snipe it. Flames desperately need that toughness if they want to compete with the other Pacific teams. Free depth on RW is always good.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

And serious question from someone who knows more than me. If we've got effort and motivation issues, isn't that a leadership issue? If so, shouldn't we be looking at getting rid of our ineffective leaders? Trade Gio for prospects.
    So I posted that on the 22nd of Feb. Anyone have fresh thoughts on the quality of efforts and "character" the leaders of this team are showing?

I'm disgusted.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So I posted that on the 22nd of Feb. Anyone have fresh thoughts on the quality of efforts and "character" the leaders of this team are showing?

I'm disgusted.
    Gio's been playing 100% every night, can't lay the blame on him. Most of the guys are trying hard, I feel the effort is there. I wasn't on the coaching sucks bandwagon but I'm starting to gravitate towards that. Our system sucks, it promotes boring predictable hockey, which makes it very easy for the opposition to figure out. Our zone entries are pretty predictable, feels like only 30% of the time we actually drive possession on an entry. Once we do have possession, we're not creative nor are we aggressive enough in front of the crease. Tkachuk is in front of the crease, but it almost seems like he's playing against the system and if it doesn't work out, it falls apart quickly. We're just not scoring enough goals because of that, especially on the PP because everyone knows our plays. We score so much on broken plays where it becomes accidently unpredictable for the opposition.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I'm disgusted.
    I won’t even pretend to know what plagues the flames but I do not think it’s leadership. Gio is one of the fittest flames out there, he leads by example on the ice and off the ice with humanitarian efforts and his work ethic in the gym. He’s extremely vocal on the bench and at practices but most important of all he hates losing.

2 wins at home in 9 weeks is the nail in the coffin for playoffs. Part of the issue might be stability. This franchise has been a revolving door of coaches and general managers. Think about how good you would be at your job if every year or two you were taught a completely new way to get the same result.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

If they have another stinker tonight against the Oilers...... uggg!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    2 wins at home in 9 weeks is the nail in the coffin for playoffs.
    Painful for season ticket holders too. My record this year is like 1-8-1. I haven't seen a home win since October.

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast