Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 40 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition

May as well start the new thread since there's news on the trade front and the draft is next week.

The Calgary Flames acquired goaltender Mike Smith from the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday, the teams announced.

The Flames sent the rights to goaltender Chad Johnson, prospect Brandon Hickey and a conditional third-round draft pick to the Coyotes as part of the deal. The pick can turn into a second-rounder if the Flames make the playoffs next season.
    It's also suggested that the Coyotes are retaining 25% of Smith's contract.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Not sure how I feel about this, lots of better talent out there right now, I was somewhat excited about Elliott last season though so

Injury issues aside, Mike Smith is a great goaltender who is criticized more than he deserves. I think he has the potential to be great, but he is getting up there in years so it is a bit of a risk. That being said, he is a good stop gap until some of the younger talent can develop further. I also heard that the Coyotes aren't going to resign Johnson, they just needed a goaltender to protect in the expansion draft. He could very well return to the Flames and provide a fairly solid 1-2 punch.

My Ride
    K20A2

hope smith pans out for us and wondering which d man we are going to sign
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I wasn't thrilled with the trade at first cause I'm not really a big fan of Smith since he comes off as a bit of a primadonna and there were better options out there, however now that I've digested it a bit, it's not too terrible:

- there were indications that Hickey wasn't going to sign with us so we would have lost him for nothing
    - Johnson's a UFA, so we were gonna lose him anyways. There's rumours going around that he was wanting a lot of money for a backup. If that's not true, he could still be a backup option for us since Arizona only needs him for the expansion protection list, after which he can walk. If not, this could be Gillies' chance to join the big club.
    - if we had kept Elliot, we would have lost that third rounder anyways.

The biggest plus for Smith is he's among the best puck handling goalies in the league, so he'll definitely help with the transition and since our D are so active on the offense, they'll greatly benefit too.

He seems to be pretty injury prone the last few seasons which concerns me.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Mixed feelings. Smith has decent numbers playing behind a horrible team, but could be one knee injury away from not playing anymore. He came cheap enough though

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I'm OK with this. Raanta may have been too $$, and there is not a chance I want Elliot back again next year, so onto something different. I'm in the maybe we should get rid of Sigalet camp though, too many goalie careers have died here the last few years.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm OK with this. Raanta may have been too $$, and there is not a chance I want Elliot back again next year, so onto something different. I'm in the maybe we should get rid of Sigalet camp though, too many goalie careers have died here the last few years.
    I might be in the minority here, but I would have been fine bringing Elliott and Johnson back next year and getting rid of Sigalet for the same reason you just stated.

My Ride
    NC1

I would have been okay with Elliot coming back but this is the choice management went with so I hope it all works out.

My Ride
    Horse

I agree with the general feeling of iffyness on Smith. This article helps put some of that to rest but I would have liked a younger option like Raantta or Grubauer, cost might have been much higher though.

At least Smith has proven he can contribute to the offense though with his goal scoring prowess placing him head-and-shoulders above his competition.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

resigning elliott was never going to happen after last year's failure. It'll cost us a third round pick.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

"Playing behind a bad team in an invisible market. Flames didn't give much up, and Coyotes keep 25% of Smith's salary."

I think he's a good goalie who simply has never had a team in front of him. Good pickup.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Horse

So now that the lists are all out, I don't know how it would ever happen, but my dream goalie just went from Grubauer to Mrazek. I want a piece of that Mraz.

I wasn't a fan of all the Mike Smith trade talks, but have since grown lukewarm to it.
    That said, I've learned to lower my expectations on goaltending over the past few seasons. Hope Mike Smith works out for this team.

Flames should not re-sign Chad Johnson for anything more than 1.5M. A career backup should not earn more than that IMO. Looks like there are lots of good-to-decent backup goalies available, but I have no problem seeing Gillies and Rittich share backup duties if Flames can't find any backup at bargain prices.

I view Smith as a relatively cheap option to allow you to transition to Gillies or Parsons depending on who grows better. As both have showed some promise but you never really know with goalies. Fingers crossed that we finally luck out with a drafted talent that can be solid for a long period of time.

Otherwise a few guys had already been picked over ahead of time. Calgary was on a no-trade list for Fleury so that idea is dead. Aside from trying with the Rangers I don't know if much was to be had? I'm guessing the management is also putting a lot of faith in the two mentioned above and wasn't willing to part with a whole lot. Maybe Smith will play like an all-star again and help us out for a bit

With the lists and moves people have to make it is interesting, I'm hopeful Calgary can still nail down a top 6 forward and another 2nd pairing D. I'd like to see Russell come back, but not sure if that'll happen. And as much as I don't like Eberle as a person, he's a talented player of which Edmonton has realized they need to offload. What are the odds that calgary could trade (he is a top 6 forward typically) for a guy like that and give something cheaper in return. As Oilers clearly are going to pay McDavid and Leon a boat load.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

New Adidas jerseys are unveiled tomorrow. Are we expecting any big changes aside from the materials used?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    New Adidas jerseys are unveiled tomorrow. Are we expecting any big changes aside from the materials used?
    Looks like the Alberta flag will still be adorned in the new jersey.

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/876817056116555776
    Last edited by Quizzes; 06-19-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Add Link

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    With the lists and moves people have to make it is interesting, I'm hopeful Calgary can still nail down a top 6 forward and another 2nd pairing D. I'd like to see Russell come back, but not sure if that'll happen. And as much as I don't like Eberle as a person, he's a talented player of which Edmonton has realized they need to offload. What are the odds that calgary could trade (he is a top 6 forward typically) for a guy like that and give something cheaper in return. As Oilers clearly are going to pay McDavid and Leon a boat load.
    Don't wanna touch Eberle with that terrible cap hit. At least Brouwer's cap hit is more palatable. Sure, Eberle is more talented but he brings nothing else to the table.
    Another reason NOT to take Eberle is the Flames shouldn't do Oilers any favours.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzes View Post
    Looks like the Alberta flag will still be adorned in the new jersey.

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/876817056116555776
    What's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzes View Post
    Don't wanna touch Eberle with that terrible cap hit. At least Brouwer's cap hit is more palatable. Sure, Eberle is more talented but he brings nothing else to the table.
    Another reason NOT to take Eberle is the Flames shouldn't do Oilers any favours.
    Is his point/dollar value really that off? I just figure it was at the point where he was going to be the odd man out. I'm not sure what figures Leon/Mcdavid going to command, but I don't see them being cheap unless they decide to go super team friendly.
    When I try to think about who could be added as that top line player. What maybe try to sign sharp for 2 years? Oshie will be super expensive and probably won't leave the caps. Radulov wants a ton and I don't think he'd fit in the locker room. Vanek is also older and far from the guy 5 years ago. I unfortunately don't have a big list in front of me of other candidates, but it has clearly been an issue since hudler left that line of filling a legit 1st line guy.

Page 1 of 40 1 2 11 ... LastLast