Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you can futz around with some castoffs, and turn into one of the best teams in the league, it diminishes the whole league.
    Quote Originally Posted by 94CoRd View Post
    I don't think they're castoffs. Marchessault, Neal, Fleury, Smith, Karlsson.
    I've watched about 2/3 of all the Vegas games this year. Everyone talks about how hard working they are, and honestly, aside from Marchessault and maybe Neal, most of their goals aren't from amazing skills and pretty plays, and yea, everyone works hard, nobody's a passenger. I'll try to explain what I see as hard working.

The key is that Vegas play as a team. Everyone is aware of where their teammates are. So blind passes just works for them. Us? We do a blind pass, someone's out of position, nobody's there, and we turnover the puck and lose any built momentum. Although for Vegas, since their bye week, they've been sloppier in this department, but it's improving again.

Another big difference between the Knights and the Flames, the Knights always have people crashing towards the net, or sitting around the net for the rebound/second opportunities. Flames do not do this and it's frustrating as hell. Of course there are defensive risks for Vegas when doing this, but they recognize when there's a risk of turnover, and quickly get back into defensive position quickly to eliminate a risk of an odd man rush against. I'd say that Vegas is probably on the high side of odd man rushes against, but with Fleury and Subban in net, it's worth the risk. It works. I'd say 1/2 their goals that I've seen are scored like this. There are games where every single goal is scored like this, so yea, it's definitely a difference maker.

Another difference, when a Vegas player makes a mistake, they shrug it off and get back into position quickly instead of trying to fix their mistakes. They're not standing around trying to fix the immediate situation, but to prevent the situation from escalating. Flames doesn't do that at all. We fuck up, everyone tries to fix the situation, and puts us in a worst spot. It's so predictable, we see one of the Flames fuck up, everyone gets out of position, confusion in our zone, opposing team cycles the puck around, and scores on a pretty play because somebody is always open.

Anyways, that's really the difference between the 2 teams this year. I'd say our goaltending is on par with them (Smith = Fleury, Rittich = Subban), we're just not taking advantage of the situations. I'd argue that we have much more skills on our team than Vegas. We're WAY more solid defensively, till there's a mistake.

Go back and watch the Flames 14/15 season. Aside from our mediocre goaltending, the 14/15 Flames are very similar to the 17/18 Knights.

edit - in case you need a recap: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/383...4-2015-Edition
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

So it comes down to mentally weak. One person makes a mistake and we break down. Last night we played 58 minutes and lost due to a single brain dead play and then subsequent meltdown from that one play. I just hope that this becomes a learning moment but seems unlikely. Need more stick throwing from GG!
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    So it comes down to mentally weak. One person makes a mistake and we break down. Last night we played 58 minutes and lost due to a single brain dead play and then subsequent meltdown from that one play. I just hope that this becomes a learning moment but seems unlikely. Need more stick throwing from GG!
    This exactly.

what I noticed from the VGK is they never sat back. Even on the PK they were looking for opportunities to score, they advanced the puck and actually took a second to LOOK if they had an option before firing it down the ice.

What i've noticed from the flames is their lack of awareness. They blindy throw pucks all over the place. Defensive zone "FIRE THE PUCK AROUND THE BOARDS AND PRAY!!!1!!111". It's frustrating as fuck! take one extra split second and make a direct pass.

Any forward will tell you how difficult it is to pick up a puck off the boards while being pressure by the opposing defensmen pinching down from the point.

Offensively this team is a tire fire. There is no skill or creativity allowed with Glen Gulutzan's system. The third line has turned into cycle grinder's.

Monahan is unfortunately scaring me... He is absolutely INVISIBLE if he isn't shooting the puck, he's not overly fast, he is soft etc...

We are wasting Mike Smith's potential Vezina season. If it wasn't for him we would be a lottery team... Which wouldn't even matter because we have no draft picks until the 4th round this year... Treliving is all in this year, and its looking dismal.

DEEP BREATH /rant

My Ride
    ute

I'm trying to figure out the best way to articulate the embarrassing thing.

It's a bit like if they turned the US open into a pro-am, and some local course pro came in and leads after the cut. Fun story...but would damage the credibility of the PGA tour.

Look to the contracts and that tells you the answer.
    Flames contract year players: Backlund, Stajan, Versteeg.
    Flames top guys all locked down for multiple years. Only motivation is to not get roasted in the media.

Vegas contract year players:
    https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's a bit like if they turned the US open into a pro-am, and some local course pro came in and leads after the cut. Fun story...but would damage the credibility of the PGA tour.
    I dunno man, Tin Cup was pretty awesome.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Axis powers

I'm trying to figure out the best way to articulate the embarrassing thing.

That analogy would be more like bringing up an AHL team and having them be where Vegas is right now
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mental toughness? Lol who needs it?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Mental toughness? Lol who needs it?
    Only just about anyone who wants to be great at anything, lol.

Fix the mental toughness, consistency, powerplay and abysmal home record! These factors fall on the coaching staff IMO. Having a bad home record is inexcusable as the home coach should be smart enough to outmatch the away team's line with the advantage of last change.

Anyone here going to the Flames vs VGK in Vegas in February or March? I'll be at the March one.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I dunno man, Tin Cup was pretty awesome.
    Why are you a Vegas fan?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Why are you a Vegas fan?
    Vegas has pretty much been my 2nd home over the years. Of all my travels, I've been to Vegas the most by far, with Chicago 2nd (I'm a semi fan of the Blackhawks too). I've been going to conventions and shows since I was 14 or 15 with my dad. PMA, CES, AVN, SEMA, AMG events, and now Amazon AWS re:Invent, always an excuse to go to Vegas.

When Vegas sent in their expansion application and started their season ticket drive, was pretty excited to add Hockey to the entertainment options down there. Made a decision to start following the team as my 2nd team, since I get all their games on DirecTV (my US address is in the Rocky Mountain region that covers Vegas). Was expecting to have a young guns Flames era first season, just blown away at how much more entertaining they've been. No complaints.

My Ride
    Silverado

The fall apart flames back in action

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Haven't had to say this very much, but this game was entirely on Smith.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

.......is thiiiis rock bottom??

My Ride
    ute

I think rage is onto something with this Vegas thing

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

.... Maybe we'll get hot again just in time to squeak in and go on a tear?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

On the bright side, we’re still ahead of oilers?

I think rage is onto something with this Vegas thing
    Seriously, it’s saved my hockey sanity. I had low expectations for the Knights, so pure fun watching them. Had high expectations for the Flames, and sad panda. Totally evened out. If I never followed them, I’d be pissed off all the time. Tonight’s Knights Jets OT? So much excitement (and Vegas luck). Makes up for the Flames gong show.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

What's it like on the other side... You know when your favorite team wins every night???

Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast