Quantcast
Rogers cell network in Calgary and Alberta in general - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Rogers cell network in Calgary and Alberta in general

Default Rogers cell network in Calgary and Alberta in general

I have had the initial 6GB data iPhone plans that come with some 200 minutes of talk time from when back when the big three were offering tons of data when iPhones were still exciting people. Bell has since dropped the plan and refuses to give me features like roam like home unless I get on one of the newer plans which would add $40 to my bill right out of the gate for similar phone and data.

Looking around through offers given through my employer, I can actually get 7GBs of data and unlimited Canada wide talk for about $6 less than what i pay today. It's a no brainer I know.

My question is, how reliable is the Rogers network. Bell has been great service wise. I want to know if there's anything I should be wary about with Rogers. Dropped calls?

I've been with Rogers since 2005, wife has been with TELUS since 2003 - TELUS had better rural coverage but with the cross roaming now I get service anywhere she does now. In Calgary, there are spots where my cell will drop a call and hers won't and vice versa as well.

It's really six of one, half dozen of the other with respect to Rogers versus TELUS now.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    an econo box

I've been with Rogers for years and haven't really had any issues. I used to be with Telus until about 2005 when I had to switch to Rogers to get a GSM phone that would work overseas. I don't go into rural areas much though so I can't really comment on their coverage outside of the city.

Similar to you, I'm on an old grandfathered plan through my employer (unlimited calling North America, unlimited global text, 5GB data for $55/month). I inquired about a plan with better roaming options but I would have to switch to a plan that costs me at least $40-$50 more than my current plan to get a similar level text, data etc. Kind of a piss off.

My Ride
    NC1

Haven't had any problems with Rogers .

Fido (Rogers) for 10 years now, I have literally never had an issue with general service or a dropped call.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

My old 6gb super plan from Rogers got Roam Like Home now , so for me it will swap networks to the bell/telus one if I can't get a signal with Rogers. I have yet to try it though driving though BC on Highway 1 where I know where the Rogers dead zones are.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

I've been with Rogers forever (as long as I can remember).

Only problem I've ever had was bad reception in New Brighton. Actually I just recently purchased a cell booster, and it rocks. Now have full reception
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fido (Rogers) for 10 years now, I have literally never had an issue with general service or a dropped call.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

Ive been rocking unlocked dual sim phones for the last 4 years with bell and rogers service. In the city I can find some places with vastly different coverage, but generally am well covered by both. Hop one province to the left or right and leave the main highway, bell coverage/roaming wins hands down.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

I switched for the same reason you mentioned above. Rogers gave me more data and more features than my grandfather bell program if I switched to employer plan.

I haven't had any issues with reception, other than the above mentioned deadzones on highway 1. Honestly though I do the drive so infrequently I don't notice a 10 minute deadzone.

Roam like home was so helpful while travelling. Used 2 days in London and 1 day in spain, it was seamless. I would have spent 30 bucks on a sim card/data so I ended up paying about the same. As far as I recall I had full service everywhere I went.

My Ride
    Audi

I've mostly been with Rogers since they were still 'CANTEL'...

Since Rogers did the roaming between carriers in Canada, I find the coverage is now mostly the same. I say mostly because I've found the phones still will prefer the Rogers network over Telus/bell, and if you're in one of the areas where Rogers is weak (rural) but on the edge of reception (1-2 bars), the phone will get you a shitty, almost non existent Rogers connection v. jumping to the Telus tower.

Edit: clarify when I say edge of reception, that could be still on EDGE or 3G and not just the edge of LTE. You have to be in an area where there is ZERO Rogers coverage before the extended coverage (telus/bell) actually works.