Quantcast
American bought my used vehicle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: American bought my used vehicle

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Default American bought my used vehicle

I sold my vehicle in a private deal to an american citizen. They were unfamiliar with how to properly import a vehicle, and I was not entirely knowledgeable of the process. I thought it would not be my problem because I am just selling something. Buyer wired me funds. I handed over the title to the carrier paid for by the buyer as in a normal private deal. The vehicle entered the USA via carrier, but was not imported properly by the buyer. It arrives at his place and he is satisfied. The next couple weeks go by and he is having trouble registering it because he did not import it properly through customs and is missing all the paperwork.

He is threatening to sue me for the vehicle being imported improperly, and wants his money back, or for me to pay for it to get cleared with customs. Is that my responsibility to ensure that it is fully imported to the USA, or do I tell him to go pound sand?
    Don’t take your anger out on the Paul Revere’s spreading the truth about the Big V. Take your anger out on those who coerced you, and encouraged you to sacrifice yourself for the globalist end game.

He imported it and setup the carrier? Sounds like his problem. I would assist him with any documentation he may need but nothing more then that.

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Yes he puchased the vehicle, and set up the carrier. The vehicle was never officially imported in to the usa by anyone is what I am saying. It was just drove on to a double level semi car hauler and crossed the border.
    Don’t take your anger out on the Paul Revere’s spreading the truth about the Big V. Take your anger out on those who coerced you, and encouraged you to sacrifice yourself for the globalist end game.

My Ride
    G37X

I don't think it'd be your issue at all. You sold the car, not arranged any of the import that's on the buyer to figure out.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

for all you knew you sold it as a track car and it would never be registered, its his problem to get it registered.

no different than one of us buying a BC car and cant get it OOP'd its your damn problem...

Mericans are lawsuit crazy
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    NC1

I honestly don't see how it's your problem. Sure you can help him by providing whatever information is needed but if he remains hostile, fk him for sure.

Part of the reason why I sold my 911 locally is because I didn't want to deal with shit like this. Good luck!

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

It's their country, it's up to them to import it. You can't import it for them.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

The problem is quite simple, he just needs to file import paperwork at his local customs office, which would be at the near airport to him, then he waits for a title, and that's about it.
    I'm sure he just doesn't want to pay the tax on the vehicle.

Its also his duty to declare the car is leaving Canada, to Canadian Customs.

In the USA exporting a car without declaring it- is a federal offense, but if you buy an Americans car here in canada all you need is a bill of sale and the tittle, then you can start the process to import the vehicle through RIV.

Oh and its high issue, not yours. Buyer has to do the diligence in the sale, it would be different if the car was stolen, or branded un-repairable.

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Thanks for all the replies everyone, this has helped me a lot.
    Last edited by Uncle Flappy; 06-19-2017 at 11:32 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Next time, write on the bill of sale that buyer is responsible for all fees associated with purchasing/transporting/registering the vehicle. When dealing with these ignoranuses, its good to have this in writing for them to be reminded of how dumb they are for failing to do even basic due diligence.

Ignorant Americans.

When I've purchased vehicles from the USA. The seller has no idea on what I have to go through. I ask them to provide copies of what I need prior and ship them to the border before importing into Canada. For him to think he can just buy and go about it, is pure ignorance. It's not your issue. Tell him you'll help provide whatever paperwork he needs but my guess is that he's going to need to take a trip to US and Canada border services to export it and then import it into USA. Possibly could be done at airport but my guess is they want to see the vehicle.
    This just got insanely messy for him and it's not your issue ultimately.
    He can threaten to sue but really, he better have lots of money to do a cross border legal dispute. Finding a US based lawyer, who knows Canadian laws probably isn't easy so don't sweat his threat. Just help him with any papers he needed, like the bill of sale or the prior registration or probably any sort of recall clearances done at dealer.

- - - Updated - - -

Point him here:
    https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car

I'm amazed the vehicle got into the US without issue and didn't get pulled off the truck and sitting in border impound lot.

My Ride
    KTM

I had a similar issue when importing a dirt bike to Canada. Imported it as "competition use" and in doing so I was unable to register it. Went to the customs office in the NE changed up the paper work and was no issue. I would assume they would have a similar type work around in the USA. Crazy it came across the border without being noticed.
    Last edited by craigcd; 06-20-2017 at 07:42 PM.

You legally sold him a car and he threatened to sue you for his mistake as his opening line...

Why are you even talking to him still? He wanted to ruin you. He wanted to put you out of money.

If you're considering still helping him at this point i'd say you are nuts. I'd stop responding to him because he is a piece of shit that will not be thankful for any help you give, is not deserving of it, and will probably end up fucking you somehow.
    Last edited by zhao; 06-20-2017 at 07:23 PM.

My Ride

If the guy called me I probably just laugh, and tell him to go pound sand before I hung up the phone.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Keep us posted with how this turns out!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

he is over re-acting he can just got to a customs office and declare it and they will give him the paper work to register it..

i did sell a few cars on ebay to US buyers , one of was extremely upset because (dealership in Florida) he didnt know Calgary, Alberta was out side the United States.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

*deleted
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 06-21-2017 at 08:01 PM.