Quantcast
Windshield replacement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Windshield replacement

My Ride
    95B

Default Windshield replacement

I need to replace the windshield on my wife's 2008 Nissan Altima. It is not an insurance claim so I will be paying from my pocket.
    Phoned Speedy auto and got a quote for $560 and called Kings Auto glass and got a quote for $205. Kings Auto glass windshield is aftermarket and Speedy Auto glass is OEM.

The questions I have is because of the age of the vehicle does it matter if I go with the after market glass?
    Has any one dealt with Kings Auto and if so whats your feed back?
    Last edited by ganesh; 06-21-2017 at 07:29 AM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

All windshields need to pass certain safety requirements. So whether aftermarket or OEM, either is suitable. Its all dependant on your wallet. As well, you do pay for the quality as I've seen some aftermarket glass, it looks wavy in certain spots but what do you expect when the glass is probably manufactured in China.

Due to your age, I'd go aftermarket. I got a quote for my 2002 Pathfinder from Nissan, windshield was $790 just glass. Called Glassmasters and it was $169 INSTALLED lol. No brainer which is mind boggling how cheap glass can be priced aftermarket.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All windshields need to pass certain safety requirements. So whether aftermarket or OEM, either is suitable. Its all dependant on your wallet. As well, you do pay for the quality as I've seen some aftermarket glass, it looks wavy in certain spots but what do you expect when the glass is probably manufactured in China.

Due to your age, I'd go aftermarket. I got a quote for my 2002 Pathfinder from Nissan, windshield was $790 just glass. Called Glassmasters and it was $169 INSTALLED lol. No brainer which is mind boggling how cheap glass can be priced aftermarket.
    I will give a call to Glass Masters as well.
    Thanks

My Ride
    ...has a CVT :(

Just got my windshield replaced by Glass Masters yesterday - it was a mobile service and it all went very well.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I too tend to go through Glassmasters. Always been decent service, and they are usually on the lower scale of price - if not the lowest. (I did a fair amount of calling around a couple of years ago, and they had the obviously best price for one vehicle, and the other I was getting done was on par with the cheapest other places.

As far as what to get, absolutely get the aftermarket for a car like that.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Mrs. Penguin has used King's in the past and has been happy. My go-to is always Crystal glass (except for the one time below), have used them for years, quite happy.
    Aftermarket is (usually) fine. I was getting some hail damage fixed at Contemporary. I don't have glass coverage, but since they had to remove the windshield to fix some damage, insurance was covering the labour, I had them get an aftermarket windshield, and it's fine. That said, as I mentioned in another thread somewhere, there seem to be some pretty shitty windshields out there, really wavy when you look at them from beside the vehicle. Not sure where people are getting them. Can't imagine these are coming from any decent shop (King's Glassmasters etc.)

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I always use CalAlta on Edmonton trail. Bring in 5-10 cans of food for the Calgary food bank, and they give you $150 off your invoice. Paid $220 out the door for my 2013 F150. My third windshield from them for various cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    I always use CalAlta on Edmonton trail. Bring in 5-10 cans of food for the Calgary food bank, and they give you $150 off your invoice. Paid $220 out the door for my 2013 F150. My third windshield from them for various cars.
    Same here, excellent service and never any issues with any vehicle I've taken to them.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    95B

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    Will give CalAlta a call tomorrow.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

With Calgary being Calgary, your new windshield will get pitted and look like shit after a couple of months you won't notice any difference between OEM or aftermarket.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FA20

If you go with Cal-Alta, you can buy a groupon for $29 that saves you $130.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/cal-al...-glass-ltd-2-2

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Easy Auto Glass in the SE.

Great customer service, and they just recently started this new promo in April so if you buy&install a new windshield there, you can get rock chips repaired for free from them for the lifetime of the windshield.

I bought mine from them back in 2014 and so I do not qualify , for those who are wondering if old customers can get in on that deal.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    With Calgary being Calgary, your new windshield will get pitted and look like shit after a couple of months you won't notice any difference between OEM or aftermarket.
    My Saabaru glass was OEM when I bought it, and it lasted over 2 years with barely any pitting, and only cracked because of a rock chip I didn't notice I got (out of sight, behind the A-pillar), so never filled. Replaced it with aftermarket, and it only took 3 months to look way worse than the OEM one was after 2 years.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by heinz256 View Post
    If you go with Cal-Alta, you can buy a groupon for $29 that saves you $130.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/cal-al...-glass-ltd-2-2
    Or just ask if they have donation drive going and drop some non-perishable food and get $100 off and cut Groupon out of it.

I have not had a windshield from them that cost more than $300.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    OEM also helps in sound insulation and big debris going through your windshield. Pitting is also horrible on aftermarket ones.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Savage Honda fit had a lot of pitting from before I bought it, but got a crack directly in my vision this week.
    Anywhere give a deal if you do two windshields at once? Wifes van could use one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?